Features : Need/Want/Don't

Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Needs AWD, good tires hopefully Michelin, well thought out tow package including component upgrades and Bluetooth and carplay.

and contractor package. Delete carpet

The $20 plug in aftermarket Bluetooth someone mentioned dont compare to built in

John Galt

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Nissan, Porsche
You do understand that the rest of us are having to subsidize each of your old gasoline clunkers by $5k/year each, to keep them on the road, right? And that's just the $6.2 trillion/year cash cost of the gasoline subsidies, it doesn't include any of the environmental remediation. If you had to pay those costs yourself, would you still be indulging in this vanity project? If so, why?
Who is "the rest of us" and how exactly are gas cars being subsidized?

Debunking Myths About Federal Oil & Gas Subsidies (forbes.com)

When you are counting what you term "subsidies", do you also count the $7,500 EV Tax credit as a "subsidy"? How do you account for road construction and maintenance (among other things) being paid for via gasoline taxes.

Gas Tax Rates by State | 2020 State Fuel Excise Taxes | Tax Foundation

Is the fact that EV's avoid these taxes a "subsidy" by your definition?

For the record, I have no issue with EV's but your post is littered with inaccuracies. Additionally, let's not pretend that "gas" vehicles are all bad and EV's are somehow all good. All vehicles have environmental footprints, period.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I'm completely dumbfounded by the lack of stake pockets on so many trucks today

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Need: 4x4 or AWD, big enough/wide enough 4 door for my 6'3" 220 pound self and family, and close to that 20k msrp (knowing AWD will be extra)

Want: Lots of color choices instead of greyscale, autostart, available "winter package" with heated seats/WeatherTech floor mats/block heater(?), CD player/Bluetooth (yeah, I'm that guy who still wants a CD player, actually while we're doing wants, I want an AM/FM/CD/Cassette/Bluetooth player!), a NA base engine, a rear window that opens.

Don't Want: Screens, no damn screens, i want real gauges, real knobs, real buttons, real levers. Dont want to have to go up trim levels to add things I already mentioned wanting. And i don't want whatever engine it comes with to be a maintenance nightmare. I want to be able to see the oil filter, not feel around for it, twist it off, then pull it off sideways over the axle spilling black oil everywhere. I want to be able to change the plugs without a bunch of extensions, elbow sockets, wobble sockets etc. And i dont want a wiper fluid reservoir that only takes 95% of the gallon of wiper fluid, leaving me with and inch of fluid in the gallon to store in the garage, take the whole gallon and just be done!!!

This was fun guys!

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SX-T
Need: Comfortable seating, Great gas mileage, Smooth all-weather handling (AWD), Back-up camera, Easy to read gauges, Low maintenance, Alarm, Intuitively placed controls, Tailgate that is not easy to remove/steal.

Want (some aftermarket): Heated/Cooled seats, Foldable rear seats, Uniform tinting, Removable tailgate fence, Bed/roof rails, Bed liner/coating, Center console vault, Brush guard, Tow kit.

Don't: AC that automatically switches to "fresh" when the thing is started, Jeers and snickers from "real" truck owners, undercarriage that rusts out easily.

Reactions: Doc

norvalovit

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corsair, 2014 F-150
NEED: LUXURY FEATURES. Heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, auto start, large sun roof, all safety features.

Reactions: Doc

Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
How can heated steering wheel and seats possibly fall under Need category? lol

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
In places where it gets super cold, they're the first thing to warm up before the engine and heater get going, and keeping your hand on that -40 steering wheel with out gloves, ouch!

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I mean, sure, in the grand scheme of things there are very few things besides food, water, and shelter that are NEEDED to survive. But some things are needed to be comfortable. Especially for those of us in colder climates. I would agree that for people who rarely, if ever, experience temperatures below freezing, those are not needed items. And I survived for many many years driving around without heated seats, and still have yet to have a heated steering wheel, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make life more comfortable. Especially on those mornings when it's -40F out and you have to go to work because that's just life in places like this.

Basically if you're going to call out needing creature comforts like heated seats and a steering wheel, then might as well call out needing a radio, or HVAC, or roll up/down windows, or comfortable seats, or whatever.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
In places where it gets super cold, they're the first thing to warm up before the engine and heater get going, and keeping your hand on that -40 steering wheel with out gloves, ouch!
Even WITH gloves, my hands still hurt holding onto a -40F steering wheel. Though my low blood circulation and Reynauds doesn't help that situation.

MarcusBrody

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Even WITH gloves, my hands still hurt holding onto a -40F steering wheel. Though my low blood circulation and Reynauds doesn't help that situation.
Ha goodness gracious, do all of your live in Nome, Alaska? Looking up places where people I know live that I consider REALLY cold (St. Paul, Minnesota; Bangor, Maine, etc.), most of them have never hit -40. So while I agree that at -40, I'd want a heated steering wheel, I'm not sure that it really is very common.

Now, that being said, I think that "Need" in this sense means "Option that the Maverick would have to have for you to buy one." and in that case, I can totally see heated steering wheels being a make or break for cold intolerant people living in cold climates. Like the1mrb, my wife has terrible hand circulation and so I'm sure it would be very nice (if we still lived somewhere cold).