Features : Need/Want/Don't

FTM1

First Name
Fred
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RIDGELINE ACURA 3.2 TL
Wow you guys are asking for some goodies.
Even a Base sport model USA spec Ridgeline doesn't have that. That price starts at 36K
The next Trim up gets heated seats standard. The top trims gets heated steering.
Canada spec different
But you have to see what options Escape Bronco Sport have.

Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
I live in Northern ON. And am a snow removal contractor.

it gets plenty cold here. Heated steering wheels snd seats are definitely not a need
I don’t even want them. Have heated seats on my Taco and never turn them on. We don’t wear shorts in the Winter..

either the trucks warmed up before getting in or I “suffer” through a couple minutes after jumping in if need to go quick.

no offence but I hope Ford is not gearing this truck to people who need these types of frills

Last edited:

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Ha goodness gracious, do all of you live in Nome, Alaska? Looking up places where people I know live that I consider REALLY cold (St. Paul, Minnesota; Bangor, Maine, etc.), most of them have never hit -40. So while I agree that at -40, I'd want a heated steering wheel, I'm not sure that it really is very common.

Now, that being said, I think that "Need" in this sense means "Option that the Maverick would have to have for you to buy one." and in that case, I can totally see heated steering wheels being a make or break for cold intolerant people living in cold climates. Like the1mrb, my wife has terrible hand circulation and so I'm sure it would be very nice (if we still lived somewhere cold).
I live in Northern Minnesota. One of the coldest areas in the lower 48, next to the northern plains. Usually as cold if not colder than Alaska actually, since Alaska is on the ocean. And actually colder than the North Pole is some cases. And much colder than The Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul).

We regularly experience temps well below 0F. At least a couple times every winter we'll go for days, even weeks, without ever getting above 0F, even during the day. A lot of nights in the dead of winter are between -40F and -15F. With daytime highs in the single digits to teens above 0F. This year, even with how abnormally mild it has been, an area near us bottomed out at -50F. The record low temp in Minnesota is -62F, set about 30miles from our house. So yeah, it gets cold here every winter. And that cold hurts.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I live in Northern ON. And am a snow removal contractor.

it gets plenty cold here. Heated steering wheels snd seats are definitely not a need
I don’t even want them. Have heated seats on my Taco and never turn them on. We don’t wear shorts in the Winter..

either the trucks warmed up before getting in or I “suffer” through a couple minutes after jumping in if need to go quick.

no offence but I hope Ford is not gearing this truck to people who need these types of frills
I think the key phrasing here, whether you meant it or not, is either let it warm up or suffer. I've spent plenty of time suffering over the years, and I can't bring myself to let my vehicle warm up for 10-15mins before driving off. So I want heated seats. Especially when my commute is only about 10mins.

Do I NEED them? No.
Does anyone NEED them? No.
Is this thread inherently flawed by using the term NEED? Yes.
Are they nice and an option I'll add if I can? Yeah.
Will they be offered as a higher end option on the Maverick? I believe most definitely. I can't think of any vehicle that doesn't have heated seats as an option. Heck, a lot of them they come as standard nowadays. You certainly won't be able to have them on the base trim, especially if they want to stick to the ~$20k mark. So I wouldn't sorry about being forced into having them.

oljackfrost

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
I think the key phrasing here, whether you meant it or not, is either let it warm up or suffer. I've spent plenty of time suffering over the years, and I can't bring myself to let my vehicle warm up for 10-15mins before driving off. So I want heated seats. Especially when my commute is only about 10mins.

Do I NEED them? No.
Will they be offered as a higher end option on the Maverick? I believe most definitely. I can't think of any vehicle that doesn't have heated seats as an option. Heck, a lot of them they come as standard nowadays. You certainly won't be able to have them on the base trim, especially if they want to stick to the ~$20k mark. So I wouldn't sorry about being forced into having them.
That’s right. Let’s not all forget that the question is about individual needs, nobody’s is the same. Ford is not going to load the base model up... great for those who want that. Ford will also offer lots of packages and options for those that want them. We get nowhere on the forum by criticizing what other folks want or need.

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3

Do I NEED them? No.
Do I NEED to edit the title to make the question more clear? :ROFLMAO:

I meant it in the context of 'it's a strong must have in the specs list for you to sign on the dotted line for a brand new Maverick'', but there's also nothing wrong with them offering it as an option only item, that'd be better actually.

But also heated seats are great for keeping pizza warm on the drive home, so yes a need

Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Agree. Everyones needs are different. I just don't get the heated steering wheel and seats thing. I used them a couple of times on an F150 KR and sure they heated up fast but as soon as the cab got warm, which is only a couple of minutes, I was sweating and turned them off.

To each their own. 10 yrs ago I probably would have said power windows and locks wasn't a need. Now it is.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Do I NEED to edit the title to make the question more clear? :ROFLMAO:

I meant it in the context of 'it's a strong must have in the specs list for you to sign on the dotted line for a brand new Maverick'', but there's also nothing wrong with them offering it as an option only item, that'd be better actually.

But also heated seats are great for keeping pizza warm on the drive home, so yes a need
Agreed. Obviously "need" means something different to every person. And in the context of a specific item for a specific purpose, like a Maverick, it's on point. Just trying to put things into a greater context. I've found that forums like this, heck the world we live in, largely turn into a complain-fest about first world problems and not putting/keeping things in a grander perspective.

I'm just the kind of pendantic prick of a person who likes to make people think and play devils advocate. If any of you haven't noticed. haha I've found a lot of people don't like that, but I haven't been murdered yet, so... haha

That said, I definitely use the heated seats in my current truck a lot for transporting take-out home, especially over the last year of largely non-in-person dining. haha Definitely a big plus for that.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
I want a plug in hybrid truck.

I'm thinking Hyundai might do it with the Santa Cruz first. But a small, basic truck that lets me drive around town on electricity and use gas when I have to leave town is what I (and frankly most people) need. I don't live in a place with good charging infrastructure so an honest plug in hybrid what works for me.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I want a plug in hybrid truck.

I'm thinking Hyundai might do it with the Santa Cruz first. But a small, basic truck that lets me drive around town on electricity and use gas when I have to leave town is what I (and frankly most people) need. I don't live in a place with good charging infrastructure so an honest plug in hybrid what works for me.
The Maverick will surely be offered as a standard hybrid according to reports. And since the next gen Ranger (2023) will likely be offered as a PHEV and the Escape, which the Mav shares the platform and powertrain with, is offered as a PHEV. A PHEV Maverick will likely be offered in the near future. Maybe not the first model year (2022), but I wouldn't be surprised to see it in 2nd (2023) or 3rd (2024) model year.

I feel the same way. A PHEV truck would be ideal. Use pure electric around town and back/forth to work, charging at home every night. And then the gas option for longer trips or trips out into the back country. Since I too live, and travel, to places with very few, if any, electric charging options.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
The price difference between the base Escape and the hybrid is about $2800, seems justifiable, but the diff between the base and the plug in is $7,765. Considering i can buy a lot of gas with $7765, that plugging it in still costs fuel money, and that insurance will also be substantially higher on a pricier model, i dont think the plug in will ever be worth the associated costs.

Reactions: Doc

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
The price difference between the base Escape and the hybrid is about $2800, seems justifiable, but the diff between the base and the plug in is $7,765. Considering i can buy a lot of gas with $7765, that plugging it in still costs fuel money, and that insurance will also be substantially higher on a pricier model, i dont think the plug in will ever be worth the associated costs.
Money isn't everything. Some of us, myself included, just would happily pay a little bit extra money to not use as much gasoline.
It also depends on your driving style. If the electric only range is around 40miles (Escape is currently ~37miles), that means I could essentially never use an ounce of gasoline when driving around town and to/from work. Since I would plug it in and recharge every night. So I could essentially double the miles per tank if I only took a trip out of town every other weekend. That would result in a huge savings. Paying half as much for fuel essentially.
It's also dependent on fuel prices. Right now maybe it doesn't make financial sense. But in a couple years (or less) when gas prices inevitably go way up again, maybe it will.

Side note, you should compare within the same trim level to have an accurate apples to apples comparison. SE ($26,610) to SE Hybrid ($27,605) to SE Plug-in Hybrid ($32,650) on the Escape for instance. I'm not saying you're wrong, it is still a substantial jump in price, but not as much as you stated. The Hybrid models also include features as standard which are only options on the non-hybrid models. So there's a bit built in there too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

MarcusBrody

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
I'm not sure about the Escape, but the plug in hybrids often have large enough batteries to qualify for tax rebates on electric vehicles. If you can get 7500 back on your taxes, a 7765 premium seems pretty manageable.

LUVHunting

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Colorado 4 cyl 5 sp; 86 Isuzu pup; 81 Chevy LUV
NEED: Plug-in Hybrid all wheel drive version, which should be offered from the very beginning so all Maverick buyers have the option. I won't buy a Maverick unless it comes as a PHEV - plug-in hybrids make too much sense not to offer them.

NEED: 30+ MPGs. The Subaru Baja got 28 mpg in 2003. My Isuzu Pup turbodiesel 4x4 has been getting low 30s since 1986. Heck a new full-size Silverado diesel gets 33 (2wd). Diesels particularly old ones aren't a fair comparison but the Ranger 4X4 still only gets 24 mpgs, which is barely more than my 2005 Colorado 4 cylinder 5 speed. Way better mileage is the only trade-off that makes much sense for a smaller truck. Sure they are easier to drive park too, but driving and parking a mid-size isn't hard.

WANT: Work-level simplicity - like a rubber-lined floor and fake leather seats you can hose/wipe down. Although I will pay for all the other junk like heated seats or infotainment if I have to in order to get a modern truck with good gas mileage.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
So milage. Hyundai's Santa Cruz is based on the 2022 Tucson. They plain hybrid version of the Tucson gets 37 MPG. I have a Chevy Volt (plug in hybrid) and the Volt's computer tells me that my lifetime millage average is 64 MPG gas and electric combined. I drive mostly in town on electricity. I'd be super happy with a little plug in hybrid pickup that got me 50 MPG as a combined average. Side note, when you think about cost of operation don't forget that the gas engine run time on a PHEV is less so fewer oil changes and regenerative braking saves wear on the brakes which means lower maintenance costs.