TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The price difference between the base Escape and the hybrid is about $2800, seems justifiable, but the diff between the base and the plug in is $7,765. Considering i can buy a lot of gas with $7765, that plugging it in still costs fuel money, and that insurance will also be substantially higher on a pricier model, i dont think the plug in will ever be worth the associated costs.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The price difference between the base Escape and the hybrid is about $2800, seems justifiable, but the diff between the base and the plug in is $7,765. Considering i can buy a lot of gas with $7765, that plugging it in still costs fuel money, and that insurance will also be substantially higher on a pricier model, i dont think the plug in will ever be worth the associated costs.
I'm not sure about the Escape, but the plug in hybrids often have large enough batteries to qualify for tax rebates on electric vehicles. If you can get 7500 back on your taxes, a 7765 premium seems pretty manageable.

LUVHunting

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Colorado 4 cyl 5 sp; 86 Isuzu pup; 81 Chevy LUV
NEED: Plug-in Hybrid all wheel drive version, which should be offered from the very beginning so all Maverick buyers have the option. I won't buy a Maverick unless it comes as a PHEV - plug-in hybrids make too much sense not to offer them.

NEED: 30+ MPGs. The Subaru Baja got 28 mpg in 2003. My Isuzu Pup turbodiesel 4x4 has been getting low 30s since 1986. Heck a new full-size Silverado diesel gets 33 (2wd). Diesels particularly old ones aren't a fair comparison but the Ranger 4X4 still only gets 24 mpgs, which is barely more than my 2005 Colorado 4 cylinder 5 speed. Way better mileage is the only trade-off that makes much sense for a smaller truck. Sure they are easier to drive park too, but driving and parking a mid-size isn't hard.

WANT: Work-level simplicity - like a rubber-lined floor and fake leather seats you can hose/wipe down. Although I will pay for all the other junk like heated seats or infotainment if I have to in order to get a modern truck with good gas mileage.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
So milage. Hyundai's Santa Cruz is based on the 2022 Tucson. They plain hybrid version of the Tucson gets 37 MPG. I have a Chevy Volt (plug in hybrid) and the Volt's computer tells me that my lifetime millage average is 64 MPG gas and electric combined. I drive mostly in town on electricity. I'd be super happy with a little plug in hybrid pickup that got me 50 MPG as a combined average. Side note, when you think about cost of operation don't forget that the gas engine run time on a PHEV is less so fewer oil changes and regenerative braking saves wear on the brakes which means lower maintenance costs.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Back to the original point of this thread. To get me to buy I would need:

Plug in hybrid

Steel wheels

Keyless entry

I would want:

All wheel drive, but could live without it

Heated seats. Because once you've had them you can't go back.

Metallic green paint like you could get on the old Maverick sedan.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
1 blind spot in the plug in concept- not everyone has a garage! Where I live in rural SW most residences don't have garages so no place to install your charger and running utilities isn't cheap either.

Reactions: Doc

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
1 blind spot in the plug in concept- not everyone has a garage! Where I live in rural SW most residences don't have garages so no place to install your charger and running utilities isn't cheap either.
A fair point. I live in Montana and electricity is cheap. Plus given the Winters (I got snowed on this morning walking the dog) garages are more the norm. But Level One charging, which is really all you need for a plug in hybrid, just takes an ordinary 110 outlet. That means all you really need is an extension cord that can reach your parking spot. Which is still problematic if you don't have a driveway, or live in an apartment building. I work in a building that is commercial on the first floor and residential in the two upper floors. Got to work one day and there was an extension cord leading out of the residential entrance down the sidewalk and around the corner to a Tesla. That would take forever to chaarge on a Level One charger. You are correct though, a plug in hybrid is not for everyone.
Sponsored