Sponsored

Factory Continental Tires not well regarded?

Deleted member 9167

No real complaints from my OE Continentals on my AWD. Haven't had a ton of bad weather to really put them thru the test.

I am a bit confused with wear... Only 6/32 left after 18k miles. Mainly highway driving and 2x rotations. Unless they didn't come with high tread blocks, the wear doesn't make sense.
Sponsored

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm not wealthy by any means, but at this point in my life I have a few things that I am very brand loyal about:
paper towels = Bounty, only!
bar soap = Safeguard!
OJ = Florida Natural
ginger ale = Vernors
and tires? = Michelin.

I don't have any science to back this up but I have never ever been disappointed in a set of Michelins. The Continentals seem fine (I'm almost at 15k miles) but I'm already looking at different Michelin tires. I am totally comfortable driving with FWD in the snow and ice (it's the driver, not the vehicle, mostly), but I would like some snowflake rated tires, like maybe the Cross Climate 2. I hear they are not as noisy as the Falken Wildpeaks....??
Have to question the soap; Neutrogena fragrance free is for me due to allergies. Also reduces possibilities of insect bites.

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have to question the soap; Neutrogena fragrance free is for me due to allergies. Also reduces possibilities of insect bites.
I do hate most commercially produced fragrances - especially coconut, vanilla, hazelnut. The whole world smells like a chemically synthesized candle. Can't stand scented garbage bags. Really? Who are you kidding, anyway?
But I do find certain "clean" smells are okay. Windex. Some Soaps. Pine Sol. Lemon scents in cleaners and polishes.
As for bugs, I'll have to try the neutrogena, but when I can I take Skin So Sof (Avon) camping with us to keep the bugs off. The smell is a little greasy but I'll take it if it keeps the black flies off my ankles.

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My first car was a new '79 Mustang with the "performance" TRX wheels and tires. Those tires on that rear wheel drive car were absolutely horrendous in the snow yet I drove it through a few Michigan winters which were worse back then. I have no concerns with the Continentals on a front wheel drive vehicle.

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I do hate most commercially produced fragrances - especially coconut, vanilla, hazelnut. The whole world smells like a chemically synthesized candle. Can't stand scented garbage bags. Really? Who are you kidding, anyway?
But I do find certain "clean" smells are okay. Windex. Some Soaps. Pine Sol. Lemon scents in cleaners and polishes.
As for bugs, I'll have to try the neutrogena, but when I can I take Skin So Sof (Avon) camping with us to keep the bugs off. The smell is a little greasy but I'll take it if it keeps the black flies off my ankles.
Right on!! LOL

Sponsored

SlappaDaBass

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '21 Forrester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No real complaints from my OE Continentals on my AWD. Haven't had a ton of bad weather to really put them thru the test.

I am a bit confused with wear... Only 6/32 left after 18k miles. Mainly highway driving and 2x rotations. Unless they didn't come with high tread blocks, the wear doesn't make sense.
I’m at about 6/32 as well at 17k miles. These tires do not perform well in the snow and rain, IMO. Was considering replacing them before winter but will try and get one more season out of them.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
:sneaky:
I'm no expert on this matter, but I must mention something that I find a bit odd. The Continental Pro contact tx tires that came on our Mavericks may not be the same tires sold as aftermarket tires. Evidence of this can be seen in a slight variation in the tread patterns. Our OEM tires do not have thin grooves, which run diagonally across the outer tread blocks. I assume our version of that tire is specked specifically as OEM, so it performs better when the stock vehicle is tested by the many independent guys who do that.

In any case, I'm very satisfied with how they perform in very slippery, slushy, snowy, icy, frigid conditions. In summer on dry pavement, they don't like to be pushed hard going into tight curves, such as clover leaves. I also don't like that they are so vanilla in appearance because they are so narrow, and the tread pattern is meh. Once again, there are sacrifices made to achieve good fuel economy.

When it comes time, I will replace mine with Michelin Cross Climate 2s.
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm
Thought I read somewhere that oem tires are built to the car manufacturers specs. The tread depth isn't as deep other things too. They called them starter tires.

Fordmn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just curious... It seems that a lot of people on here don't care for the original Continental tires. Are there any particular reasons? I realize they are not for performance nor off-roading, so if you are doing those things they probably aren't for you. I have about 15,000 miles of basic every day driving on mine and they seem fine. They are relatively quiet and I've never had any traction issues. I rotated them at all three oil changes and the treadwear seems minimal. When the time comes, I probably won't replace them with the same, but I don't have any complaints about these so far.
Just curious... It seems that a lot of people on here don't care for the original Continental tires. Are there any particular reasons? I realize they are not for performance nor off-roading, so if you are doing those things they probably aren't for you. I have about 15,000 miles of basic every day driving on mine and they seem fine. They are relatively quiet and I've never had any traction issues. I rotated them at all three oil changes and the treadwear seems minimal. When the time comes, I probably won't replace them with the same, but I don't have any complaints about these so far.
Hi...picked up my Mav Lariat Hybrid loaded out yesterday, I'm thinking I'm going to Love it...
Chili Red Hybrid, took little over three months to get it from ordering in September..
Got mud flaps and bug guard on front dealership.
Ordered several aftermarket items already for it... should be at Winter home, by the time I get back South. Putting a good soft bed cover on Friday..
In-between snow storms here, but will be putting about 900 miles on it, in 14 hours, hoping this Saturday...

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

The tread on these tires starts at 8/32, which is less than most new tires. My first oil change at 3500 miles the Quick change paperwork showed the front tires already at 7/32, I was enjoying the turbo for a while. I was able to get a set of steelies with new factory tires at a steal of a deal, I was intending on putting snows on them, but after some thought we really don't get much snow here anymore, ( and still haven't)so I decided to put a pair of slightly more aggressive all season on 2 or them for the front, I went with Continental Cross contact LX25's, they are highly rated for wet roads & have a starting tread of 12/32. These tires are great in wet, snow & better traction on dry roads too & no howl of winter tires. Once I burn through all the original contact tires I now have the plan is to switch to the LX's.

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The tread on these tires starts at 8/32, which is less than most new tires.
I recently had my Maverick annual State Safety Inspection done at the dealer. They said I still have 8/32" tread on my original tires. I found it really hard to believe because I've put 47k miles on these tires and have only rotated it once. It's unbelievable. I just drove 1.5 hours in the rain. Hit a few puddles in the interstate and no hydroplaning. It did really well.

Wixron

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A company like ford wouldnt put crappy tires on a vehicle. The fallout wouldnt be worth the risk to save money there.
Reminds me of the Explorer tire fiasco

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I recently had my Maverick annual State Safety Inspection done at the dealer. They said I still have 8/32" tread on my original tires. I found it really hard to believe because I've put 47k miles on these tires and have only rotated it once. It's unbelievable. I just drove 1.5 hours in the rain. Hit a few puddles in the interstate and no hydroplaning. It did really well.
I thought maybe the tires might have come with more tread, but the steelies I bought had what the guy said were 100miles on the tires & they still had the little pricklies sticking up from production & I bought a good gauge & they measure around 8/32 maybe 8.5, I will see how they wear when I rotate them in spring.

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 4K VB, 2022 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not wealthy by any means, but at this point in my life I have a few things that I am very brand loyal about:
paper towels = Bounty, only!
bar soap = Safeguard!
OJ = Florida Natural
ginger ale = Vernors
and tires? = Michelin.

I don't have any science to back this up but I have never ever been disappointed in a set of Michelins. The Continentals seem fine (I'm almost at 15k miles) but I'm already looking at different Michelin tires. I am totally comfortable driving with FWD in the snow and ice (it's the driver, not the vehicle, mostly), but I would like some snowflake rated tires, like maybe the Cross Climate 2. I hear they are not as noisy as the Falken Wildpeaks....??
Look at bridgestone weatherpeaks as well. I just bought a set through discount tires Presidents’ Day sale plus another 10% veteran & using their credit card. Initial impression is smooth, quiet tire. a little stiffer than the rubbery continentals. Should have opportunity on snow and ice for remaining winter but expect to handle well in these conditions based on reviews.
Sponsored

Last edited: