Sponsored

Factory Continental Tires not well regarded?

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You're pricing retail tires bro. Ford doesn't pay retail. They negotiate prices and sign contracts.

Think about it bro.
For what they are charging for FX4 and AWD, it should have come with the better Wildpeaks already offered on other packages. No doubt they got some kind of deal from Continental wholesale, but I find it hard to believe it was significant compared to what Falken would have done considering they already have contracts with them. Tires are a commodity. The wholesale and retail prices are going to be similar margins comparing equivalent tires across the industry.
Sponsored

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A company like ford wouldnt put crappy tires on a vehicle. The fallout wouldnt be worth the risk to save money there.
Unless your my age and remember the Ford Explorer debacle with bad tires that Ford used. Ford really doesn’t learn from their mistakes… their history of bad engines prove that.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

For what they are charging for FX4 and AWD, it should have come with the better Wildpeaks already offered on other packages. No doubt they got some kind of deal from Continental wholesale, but I find it hard to believe it was significant compared to what Falken would have done considering they already have contracts with them. Tires are a commodity. The wholesale and retail prices are going to be similar margins comparing equivalent tires across the industry.
I literally put on Firestone Blizzak Duelers yesterday and took off the Continental. I was looking at Wildpeaks, which are year round but I went with the Duelers because I didn’t want the hassle of trying to sell the Continentals… and my daughter gave me a storage option. So come March I’ll swap them over… I’ll get a few years out of both.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For what they are charging for FX4 and AWD, it should have come with the better Wildpeaks already offered on other packages. No doubt they got some kind of deal from Continental wholesale, but I find it hard to believe it was significant compared to what Falken would have done considering they already have contracts with them.
Putting aside the fact that FX4s get Pirellis and not Continentals the reason they don't just throw heavier, larger ATs on every AWD is at the end of the day it impacts the MPG rating. It might not mean much in terms of the cost per tire, but affecting the CAFE min/maxing could have an even more significant cost that the bean counters do care about.

Sponsored

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Putting aside the fact that FX4s get Pirellis and not Continentals the reason they don't just throw heavier, larger ATs on every AWD is at the end of the day it impacts the MPG rating. It might not mean much in terms of the cost per tire, but affecting the CAFE min/maxing could have an even more significant cost that the bean counters do care about.
Pirelli, Continental. Whatever. I don't care. Crappy tires are crappy tires. Nothing about the stock ones says FX4 or AWD. They already offer the other tires so the CAFE regulations argument is moot. For $800 I could have gotten the other tires, just with wheels I didn't want. I would have probably paid them the same $800 just for the tires if I could have kept the black wheels since that is what it cost me anyway.

Griswaldo906

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Oxford White Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not a huge fan of them. Not great wet weather performance. Ok in the snow, but they seem to be wearing pretty quickly after 13,000 miles
This is my issue... I have just short of 13k on my maverick and I have already worn through half of the factory tread on them.

In addition, I think the traction is mediocre in inclement weather at best. The only reason I think people don't complain more about the traction is the crack AWD system in these vehicles makes these tires seem better than they actually are.

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not wealthy by any means, but at this point in my life I have a few things that I am very brand loyal about:
paper towels = Bounty, only!
bar soap = Safeguard!
OJ = Florida Natural
ginger ale = Vernors
and tires? = Michelin.

I don't have any science to back this up but I have never ever been disappointed in a set of Michelins. The Continentals seem fine (I'm almost at 15k miles) but I'm already looking at different Michelin tires. I am totally comfortable driving with FWD in the snow and ice (it's the driver, not the vehicle, mostly), but I would like some snowflake rated tires, like maybe the Cross Climate 2. I hear they are not as noisy as the Falken Wildpeaks....??

OrangeBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's the Baja 1000 Replica look.
Them tires got treads all the way up the sides!

Put on ur best Punisher tee, slap yer Oakleys backwards on yer head, grab yer black driving gloves and tear ass down to Walmart to stock up on Brawndo.

People don't like them who want tires that look like TRUCK TIRES!

Sponsored

AltoBlueMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Escape SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My biggest issue is that they're an "all"-season (aka 3-season) tire and I live in Canada. Once I get my truck and it comes to the winter I'll buy a set of Nokian WRG4s to put on it. I have a set of the Nokian on my current vehicle (2013 Escape) and they've been amazing even going through mountain passes in the winter. Gotta decide if it's worth it to try and ride the stock ones during the summers to save tread on the all-weathers while I can or if it's better not to have to do the full change 2x a year. I don't think I would spend on buying a second set of wheels so I might just sell the stock tires when I make the initial switch.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Pirelli, Continental. Whatever. I don't care. Crappy tires are crappy tires. Nothing about the stock ones says FX4 or AWD. They already offer the other tires so the CAFE regulations argument is moot. For $800 I could have gotten the other tires, just with wheels I didn't want. I would have probably paid them the same $800 just for the tires if I could have kept the black wheels since that is what it cost me anyway.
My Blizzak Duelers were $803 out the door installed with tire protection. Continentals will be swapped back in March. Tire guy says get them off as soon as possible because they are softer tire. Ride is good on the Duelers, almost the same as the Continentals.

Retired

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid, 2012 focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My biggest issue is that they're an "all"-season (aka 3-season) tire and I live in Canada. Once I get my truck and it comes to the winter I'll buy a set of Nokian WRG4s to put on it. I have a set of the Nokian on my current vehicle (2013 Escape) and they've been amazing even going through mountain passes in the winter. Gotta decide if it's worth it to try and ride the stock ones during the summers to save tread on the all-weathers while I can or if it's better not to have to do the full change 2x a year. I don't think I would spend on buying a second set of wheels so I might just sell the stock tires when I make the initial switch.
I on my Focus I bought a set of Blizzak snow tires and cheap steel wheels from Tire Rack and swap them in and out in my driveway. Works for me. Might do the same with the Maverick, but now that I'm retired i could always just stay home until they plow the back road I live on. LOL

Maverickent

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

They are fine for daily driving. I will eventually replace them with a better handling tire, but my MAVERICK is lowered and has aftermarket sway bar.

Here are the Tire Rack reviews.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/continental-procontact-tx
I'm no expert on this matter, but I must mention something that I find a bit odd. The Continental Pro contact tx tires that came on our Mavericks may not be the same tires sold as aftermarket tires. Evidence of this can be seen in a slight variation in the tread patterns. Our OEM tires do not have thin grooves, which run diagonally across the outer tread blocks. I assume our version of that tire is specked specifically as OEM, so it performs better when the stock vehicle is tested by the many independent guys who do that.

In any case, I'm very satisfied with how they perform in very slippery, slushy, snowy, icy, frigid conditions. In summer on dry pavement, they don't like to be pushed hard going into tight curves, such as clover leaves. I also don't like that they are so vanilla in appearance because they are so narrow, and the tread pattern is meh. Once again, there are sacrifices made to achieve good fuel economy.

When it comes time, I will replace mine with Michelin Cross Climate 2s.
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

FordDiehard

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same experience here. I only have a little over 5K miles on mine but so far no complaints.

Honestly they suit the Maverick just fine. A low entry tire that gets the job done just like an honest truck that gets the job done.
I order tires at work, and I can tell you Continentals are definitely not low-end tires, price wise anyway.
When I replaced the tires on my 2017 Focus several years ago, I brought Goodyear Assurance ($110.00 each). When it was time to replace them a few weeks ago, I bought a set of Blackhawk Street-H HH11 tires through work for $59.00 each. They ride just as quiet and smooth as the Goodyear tires did when they were new.
Sponsored