Sponsored

Eibach Lowering springs installed, Knocking noises.

SlowTime2011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had my springs installed by a local independent shop. He is well respected around here and has done work for me in the past. The suspension is making some noises. If parked and turning the wheels is makes a clunk/knock every once in a while. You can feel a catch in in the steering wheel. Mostly in the driver front. Pulling out of a parking lot and it makes some noises in front and back over bumps.

Rides fine and tracks straight on the highway. Don't notice any sounds above 20-30 MPH but it may be road noise drowns it out.

Any ideas what we should be looking at? Install went pretty straight forward.
Sponsored

FabMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There should have been instructions in the Eibach kit for the installer. They needed to replace the rear bump stock with new ones in the kit, but in the front they were to trim the stock ones down per the instructions on a diagram. It sounds like they didn’t do that step in the front. See attached instructions and diagram. Hope this helps.

Attachments

OP
OP
SlowTime2011

SlowTime2011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fronts were trimmed. Rears were left alone as stated in the AWD instructions.

Eibach CS has been extremely helpful with some things for the installer to check after the holidays.

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 23 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yeah, I just read the directions on mine for the AWD and it said to trim the front and leave the rear alone. Not sure what you are experiencing but I hope you get it figured out and can report back.

twolane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know it's a well respected shop, but I had a similar noise on mine after install and found the issue to be I forgot to attach one of the brake line mounting bolts. Installed and haven't noticed the noise again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SlowTime2011

SlowTime2011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know it's a well respected shop, but I had a similar noise on mine after install and found the issue to be I forgot to attach one of the brake line mounting bolts. Installed and haven't noticed the noise again.
Thanks, for the feedback. I will get it up on ramps and check that out.

MAC_Detail

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the issue hasn't been resolved, a couple more things to check out:

- make sure the sway bar to the strut is tight, another 1/8th of a turn can be the difference between no noise and noise

- make sure the nut on the top hat (strut shaft to top hat) is tight and the threads and good. OE uses a stover nut, which can strip the threads. If this occurs you most likely wont be able to get it tight enough to not make noise (ask me how I know).

- wouldn't hurt to double check all bolts/nuts removed. Its a good practice to re check torque on all fasteners after a 100 or so miles of driving.

Last edited:

MAC_Detail

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@MAC_Detail what's the solution for the stover nuts/ bolts? Replace with new?
Usually taking them off once isn't an issue, its when you do it multiple times. It is possible that its staked or deformed enough to ruin the threads the first time off.

If it did gall up the threads a little bit, just chase the threads. If it wiped out the threads a lot then you have to replace the strut.

I replaced the OE nuts with non-locking flange nuts since my has come apart many times. I believe they are M12x1.5 if I remember correctly.

There is only one stover nut, and that is the nut on the shock shaft-top hat.

32Again

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 Ford Pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I currently have the same knocking noise after installation on my FWD Hybrid. Installation instructions were followed per Eibach. Technical support recommends checking the front upper mount rotation/pad alignment. Truck is headed back to the shop for hopefully good results.

Sponsored

32Again

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 Ford Pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Struts were removed to inspect the correct pad rotation per Eibach, photographed, reinstalled and another alignment completed. Knocking noise still present. I have forwarded all my documentation to Eibach and am waiting on a response from their tech department. Love the look, the ride, but can't live with the noise.

OP
OP
SlowTime2011

SlowTime2011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Between work schedule and weather haven't had a chance to get it on ramps to look at. Still sounds like crap.

32Again

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 Ford Pickup
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My contact person that I am reaching out to at Eibach is Dave Cortez. Strength in numbers as we are not the only ones with the problem. Thanks
Sponsored