EcoBoost Maverick, really ?

WhoAmI2021

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6S Wagon, E250, Kia Soul
I think that there is a misunderstanding of physics and the amount of effort/energy required to motivate vehicles.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m an also not impressed by 26mpg to be honest. It’s not terrible but it’s far from impressive. My f150 gets 20mpg. I personally wouldn’t downsize for that kind of fuel savings. I would be giving up the ride height, ride comfort, cabin space, high residual value and a significant amount of capability to see a relatively small savings in fuel. What makes the maverick worth downsizing from my f150 is the hybrid drivetrain delivering substantial fuel efficiency gains over my current full sized truck. The smaller size will be a bonus at times but the maverick is still barely going to fit in my garage. That drivetrain and fuel savings is what is truly making it worth giving up all of those positives that come with a full sized truck.
To be fair, I don't think Ford's intent with this truck was to steer people from their best selling product in history.

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just sold my 2006 F150 Super Crew that got 13 mpg. Filling a 30 gallon tank gets old and expensive especially if fuel prices climb any higher.

26 mpg would be double what I was getting and refreshing. If they offered AWD with the Hybrid I would of gotten that but since it’s not offered at least for now I’m fine buying the 2.0 EB AWD.

Sponsored

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I highly doubt this will make 26mpg, full loaded down and towing 4K, but I'm still ok with that # for normal everyday driving
The point was, the prius can't do any of that stuff but the mav can.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more power, and the double the towing is awesome...
But id just think that mileage would be more important for most folks.
I'm hearing that the 2.0 ECO boost will likely get somewhere around 26mpg, which impo, is about as terrible as I'd expect from a small ICE truck.

I would have guessed (before coming to this forum) Ford would sell 10 to 1 of the 2.5L hybrids to the 2.0 ECO boost, but apparently not

From a personal standpoint, if I had to stick to an ICE truck, I'd just stick with my F150. That truck is my baby, I can just barely afford to drive it 😟
All these comments make me more appreciative of my old banger Honda Element. 22-24 mpg. Pulls trailer with 1,200 lbs with ease. 2.0 liter with 4,000 towing is needed by some…anxious to see real world
Experiences.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 26 mpg figure came from someone's screen shot of an instrument cluster. It means nothing as these displayed averages can vary widely depending on how many miles of what were driven and how. That said, my experience with the EcoBoost engines is that they are very thirsty - especially when you ask for their power.

The Bronco Sport AWD 2.0 is EPA rated at 21 city, 26 highway and 23 combined. The Maverick should achieve nearly identical, and in my experience 10-15% less for real world vs EPA.

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All these comments make me more appreciative of my old banger Honda Element. 22-24 mpg. Pulls trailer with 1,200 lbs with ease. 2.0 liter with 4,000 towing is needed by some…anxious to see real world
Experiences.
My parents had a Honda Element. It was literally the worst handling/driving car i have ever driven. The only thing i could compare it to was driving my uncles H1 hummer - not the fake GM ones, but a real hummer. The element drove like it was a vehicle 4 times its size in every direction.

I always wonder about people who drive Elements.

Sponsored

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 26 mpg figure came from someone's screen shot of an instrument cluster. It means nothing as these displayed averages can vary widely depending on how many miles of what were driven and how. That said, my experience with the EcoBoost engines is that they are very thirsty - especially when you ask for their power.

The Bronco Sport AWD 2.0 is EPA rated at 21 city, 26 highway and 23 combined. The Maverick should achieve nearly identical, and in my experience 10-15% less for real world vs EPA.
I hate to agree with a man with your facial hair, but I'm afraid you are correct. EB's can be thirsty, and the boost is addictive.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That said, my experience with the EcoBoost engines is that they are very thirsty - especially when you ask for their power.
You can have 'Eco', you can have 'Boost'. But only one at a time.

mikedege

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My full size Chevy baby Duramax(4X4) gets 30mpg on the freeway. I would assume Ford could do better than 26mpg in a 2.0L FWD minitruck. But whatever. ;) And yes, I have a Maverick hybrid ordered that my son will drive.:cool: I would not purchase the 2.0L ecoboost version. IMO...

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My full size Chevy baby Duramax(4X4) gets 30mpg on the freeway. I would assume Ford could do better than 26mpg in a 2.0L FWD minitruck. But whatever. ;) And yes, I have a Maverick hybrid ordered that my son will drive.:cool: I would not purchase the 2.0L ecoboost version. IMO...
Nobody knows what the mileage will be yet. Plus, you're comparing apples to oranges with a diesel engine, big difference, plus the diesel costs more upfront.

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Mustang is a 2.3L Ecoboost.
I get 31mpg on the highway with it. Sure, its a bit larger than the 2.0L, but I also drive-by-cruise-control a lot.
But it also has enough power for me when I need it, too.

Now, take that and add 4K tow capacity, a whole second axle to drive, and the increase to stock base curb weight of 3,532 lb. in the Mustang compared to 3,563 to 3,731 in the Maverick, it all adds up and will take away from that economy. Also figure it's geared slightly lower than the Mustang for towing and such, yeah, 26 is not bad at all for a gasoline engine configuration. Yeah, its not a super-sipper, but there's always a trade-off somewhere. Higher priced fuels to get more miles per gallon? More power for less economy? More economy for less tow capacity? A gain in one area will come from a loss somewhere else. However, I wonder if there will be tunes you can get for it to rebalance it. In time.. Maybe.
Sponsored