First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just mpo, but 26mpg is cr@p. Oh sure, it's okay compared other trucks.... But trucks just get terrible mileage. I hear that for my F150 to get 18-19 mpg's is really good... But it doesn't feel that way when I'm putting $100 in it, to fill it. My old Toyota Tacoma used to get about 22... That was lousy too.

Great mileage is 53 mpg, like in my Prius. I'm okay with 40 mpg in a little truck though.
Comparing a Prius to a truck, go away.
Sponsored

Briley24

First Name
Briley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 2500 HD
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more power, and the double the towing is awesome...
But id just think that mileage would be more important for most folks.
I'm hearing that the 2.0 ECO boost will likely get somewhere around 26mpg, which impo, is about as terrible as I'd expect from a small ICE truck.

I would have guessed (before coming to this forum) Ford would sell 10 to 1 of the 2.5L hybrids to the 2.0 ECO boost, but apparently not

From a personal standpoint, if I had to stick to an ICE truck, I'd just stick with my F150. That truck is my baby, I can just barely afford to drive it 😟
Nobody that got an ecoboost is going to get 26mpg I am very confident in that.

F1PRB22GA

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the Hybrid costs Ford more to make (batteries) than the ICE engine ?

IMO, the only way this project comes to life, is when Ford decided to sell the Hybrid at a slight loss (?) and as standard equipment.

Ford gains MPG in the product family with the hybrid as standard, which then offsets the many "traditional" customers that always need towing, AWD, or other performance.

Ford then charges ICE customers more for less technology,
and their employees can feel as though they are making a difference.

Pure speculation on my part.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lets oh say put 1426lbs on top of your Prius and then hitch it up to a 4000lb camper and see what mpg's you get my dude.
I can see your point. However, please do not put 1426 on the 2.0 Mav and tow a 4000 lbs camper in the same time. The max payload and the max towing capacity are mutually exclusive.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just mpo, but 26mpg is cr@p. Oh sure, it's okay compared other trucks.... But trucks just get terrible mileage. I hear that for my F150 to get 18-19 mpg's is really good... But it doesn't feel that way when I'm putting $100 in it, to fill it. My old Toyota Tacoma used to get about 22... That was lousy too.

Great mileage is 53 mpg, like in my Prius. I'm okay with 40 mpg in a little truck though.
most of us are focused on the total package value proposition- not just mileage- and don't want an oversized, overpriced "mid size" truck. You got your Prius to make you happy, so leave the trucks to the big boys :p

L3fty

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Enclave
I think a fair bit of it may be too that the hybrid only comes in fwd and a lot of people (myself included) prefer awd because of snow and ice. Honestly if the hybrid came in awd I would have gotten that but instead went for the 2.0 with the 4k towing package just in case I ever do need to tow something that heavy.
I'm in this boat.
I'd take an AWD hybrid with 2k towing if it was available but because it's not I prefer AWD ecoboost with 4k towing.

Barefootdan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y
Can’t tell if half of these new threads are trolls or not lately lol. Hating on an option…who cares. Pick whatever option you want and leave the others for the rest of the crowd. Soon we’re going to start seeing “WhY dId FoRd ChOoSe CyBeR oRaNgE”. They give us many options for a reason people! Let ecoboost buyers enjoy the extra power and towing while you enjoy the mpg. It’s different strokes for different folks.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Aerodynamics are a huge factor in fuel mileage. To reduce the drag of a pickup you have to turn it into something that isn't a pickup.
Or just be weird like Tesla. Some hate it, but for a pickup it is aerodynamic. But again, that also depends on where you live. Many people if you calculate their average speed on their commute due to traffic will be around 20mph with lots of stop and go, where aerodynamics are a non-issue.

How much fuel economy is a factor will depend on three things IMO:
1) How much does gas actually cost where you live? I always fuel up at Costco, and today its $2.53/g , but in California the state average is $4.34/g nearly twice my price so the economics change:
Ford Maverick EcoBoost Maverick, really ? Screenshot 2021-07-28 205144

Here in Texas, if you're purely looking at cost of ownership, fuel costs can be pretty insignificant compared to depreciation, insurance, financing, and maintenance.

2) The image you want to project: I've already learned driving both a big Ram 1500 with a rumbling hemi and little Fiat 500 city car that you can somewhat alienate yourself from your group of friends on both sides of the spectrum by what you choose to show up in at G2Gs, just like your fashion choices and haircut/color say something about you. We may not like to admit it, but most of us want to fit in and make positive impressions, and one clique may give you a lot more brownie points talking about how your hybrid gets 40mpg delivering recyclables over a soy latte at the city center while another group may enjoy talking about how 250hp is a lot of power for a light truck and if you plan to chip it over a Pabst while grilling.

3) How you drive: If you are the kind of person that likes to floor it to break out of traffic at a light or knows that there's no such thing as too much power when towing and the extra power is needed w/ the 4K tow package just to hit your minimums, then fuel economy is an afterthought especially when the ecoboost is hardly a gas guzzler. If you're pretty relaxed driving most of the time like I am, you might as well enjoy the benefits with frugal consumption.

So our plan is to have the practical hybrid FWD Maverick for day to day stuff and keep the Corvette for fun stuff and we can pick the right ride depending on what type of people we're meeting up with since we're fence sitters. :coffee::LOL:🍺

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I almost died trying to merge with highway traffic in a rental Prius and never once during that incident was I thinking “this mofo gets great mileage!”. 26mpg is much better than my Tacoma’s 19mpg and the 2.0EB has acceptable acceleration in my Fusion. Go buy the Hybrid if mpg is your concern.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in South Dakota and I just paid $2.87 a gallon of gas. Since I only drive around 7000 miles a year, I am not overly concerned with gas mileage. I ordered the 2.0 engine, AWD and 4K towing and it will be able to haul 4 x 8 sheets of plywood plus fit in my garage!

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
I almost died trying to merge with highway traffic in a rental Prius and never once during that incident was I thinking “this mofo gets great mileage!”. 26mpg is much better than my Tacoma’s 19mpg and the 2.0EB has acceptable acceleration in my Fusion. Go buy the Hybrid if mpg is your concern.
Prius has 121hp, maverick hybrid has 191hp. That’s a big difference.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sorry and I'll draw all kinds of hate from this, but you could hold a gun to my head and I'd still tell you a pickup truck (OR SUV) should not be FWD only.

Not offering the Hybrid in AWD trim was completely asinine on Ford's part. I would have purchased one if available.

I ordered an AWD 2.0. I'm currently getting about 19mpg with my 2017 Chevy Equinox with 3.6 AWD. Anything over that will be an improvement.

Sponsored

Last edited: