Sponsored

Door handle area panel wavy (poor quality ?)

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have Alto Blue too...but have more important things in life to worry about.
Oh no!

They taught us in school to major in the minors.

We also were indoctrinated to expect perfection from businesses in general and bosses in particular.

Our personal schoolwork assignment's on the other hand were all lauded as excellent no matter how lousy the work we handed in was.

Personal accountability only counts for the “big guys”.
Sponsored

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To some this is normal because they haven't experienced quality before. :)
I'm not upset by your post or being obstinate or anything. My wife's Mav is dirty 99% of the time due to 3 miles of dirt road driving per day so paint/body imperfections don't matter to me.

I'm just curious about what actions you plan to take or expect Ford to take regarding this? Buyback? Repaint it attempting to level the areas you don't like?

It honestly sounds like you are too dissatisfied with the low perceived quality to continue owning it.

It would be much better off in the hands of someone who could appreciate it for what it is rather than you holding on to something you think is junk. Set it free dude. Don't settle for something you feel is inferior.

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
RE: Door handle area panel wavy

Oh. I thought you meant inside.

Ford Maverick Door handle area panel wavy (poor quality ?) t1

OP
OP

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not upset by your post or being obstinate or anything. My wife's Mav is dirty 99% of the time due to 3 miles of dirt road driving per day so paint/body imperfections don't matter to me.

I'm just curious about what actions you plan to take or expect Ford to take regarding this? Buyback? Repaint it attempting to level the areas you don't like?

It honestly sounds like you are too dissatisfied with the low perceived quality to continue owning it.

It would be much better off in the hands of someone who could appreciate it for what it is rather than you holding on to something you think is junk. Set it free dude. Don't settle for something you feel is inferior.
Honestly rest of the truck is great so far. Am I in position to sell it ? No. My old car is sold and I will admit there were some issues, none were as severe as what I'm seeing in these panels. I expect quality (I see a lot of statements mismatching cheapness vs quality). Not much to ask for. I didn't buy the truck for it's luxury features nor some special craftsmanship, but seeing this makes you question rest of the truck, doesnt it ?

Anyways, buyback ? Likely 0 chance from Ford. Not sure where that would even fall under within their warranty. Dealer fix ? To be left with a resprayed, Bondo'ed truck ? I'll pass.

PDR, maybe I'll get quotes to see what it would take. But would ford ever pay for it ? Likely not.

I'm just a simple homeowner, wanting a good looking truck. I take care of my vehicles 110%. This isn't a work truck. It's a sedan replacement.

Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The maverick literally has better quality/reliablity ratings than the Toyota Tacoma. The hybrid is on multiple lists as being one of the most reliable hybrids you can buy, up there with the Toyota Corolla.

By comparison, a solid half of the terrible ownership experiences we've had have been Honda vehicles. Literally lasting 36 hours before the engine blew for one. Everything is failing on my friend's civic, the engine, transmission, interior, underbody, upper body, electronics, there's issues with all of it. Not to mention Honda has class action lawsuits over basically every automatic transmission it's made in the last 20 years, and the 1.5 Honda motor is considered to be one of the least reliable motors on the market.

Don't even get me started on all the engine issues new Toyotas are having currently, or the virtually guaranteed issues Nissan CVT owners have. Or all the head gasket issues with Subarus that make their motors some of the worst on the market.
No argument with the Toyota engine issues or the Nissan CVT issues, I'm certainly not a fan of either and have never owned a Toyota. My comment was not specific to the Maverick vs. any Japanese brand, rather the notion that low-cost doesn't necessarily equate to poor quality and finish as some of the posts suggested.

I know you've had a bad experience, and I'm sorry for that.
Thank you.
Yes, I did have a bad experience. A design that I really appreciated and continue to laud showed it's shortcomings in a frustrating way. I had a 2006 Escape that I drove 260,000+ miles and I am aware of the Escape hybrids from that era serving taxi duty to 500,000+ miles. Unfortunately, Ford had the harness issue that was ignored for far too long and I had two service department too incompetent to resolve the issue. That, combined with the horrible headliner recall, made a bad ownership experience a horrible experience. Unfortunately, Ford itself wasn't helpful.

But the fact remains that the overwhelming majority of maverick owners haven't had any issues, and that the hybrid system in the maverick is solid. It's literally a 500k mile powertrain.
Design itself doesn't mean anything to ownership experience if the manufacturing quality is sub-par and you don't have a competent field service capability to remedy your flawed product. For me it wasn't a 500k mile powertrain. I literally had to use the jumpbox on it frequently. I tried like heck to get it resolved and I was at wit's end.

FordHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We got the basic XLT then added simonized coating and then had Line-X put on the bed and added aftermarket heated seats, then proceeded to add 25K+ miles in 10 months with lot of highway mountain driving and have had zero problems. We are really pleased with with this "poorly-made" truck.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No argument with the Toyota engine issues or the Nissan CVT issues, I'm certainly not a fan of either and have never owned a Toyota. My comment was not specific to the Maverick vs. any Japanese brand, rather the notion that low-cost doesn't necessarily equate to poor quality and finish as some of the posts suggested.

Thank you.
Yes, I did have a bad experience. A design that I really appreciated and continue to laud showed it's shortcomings in a frustrating way. I had a 2006 Escape that I drove 260,000+ miles and I am aware of the Escape hybrids from that era serving taxi duty to 500,000+ miles. Unfortunately, Ford had the harness issue that was ignored for far too long and I had two service department too incompetent to resolve the issue. That, combined with the horrible headliner recall, made a bad ownership experience a horrible experience. Unfortunately, Ford itself wasn't helpful.

Design itself doesn't mean anything to ownership experience if the manufacturing quality is sub-par and you don't have a competent field service capability to remedy your flawed product. For me it wasn't a 500k mile powertrain. I literally had to use the jumpbox on it frequently. I tried like heck to get it resolved and I was at wit's end.
The wiring harness was definitely not fun to deal with. I'd stick with it, assuming you still have the truck, just to see if you could get the issue resolved. It seems like it was mostly hybrids built in Jan-may 2022 that had that issue. Ours was built in June, and has never had the deep sleep issue. Frustrating problem all around.

But the way I see it, the hybrid at its core is still that same dependable hybrid powertrain. It seems like they made some mistakes on individual components like the wiring harness's, but are slowly starting to rectify them.

I remember for the first few months, we'd hear about the deep sleep hybrids from multiple owners a day when it was at its peak. Now, we seldomly hear about the issue. It pops up now and then, but it seems like it's largely been resolved.

Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like it was mostly hybrids built in Jan-may 2022 that had that issue. Ours was built in June, and has never had the deep sleep issue. Frustrating problem all around.

But the way I see it, the hybrid at its core is still that same dependable hybrid powertrain. It seems like they made some mistakes on individual components like the wiring harness's, but are slowly starting to rectify them.
Yes, mine was built on January 6, 2022, so it fell into that very early hybrid build period. I have no doubt that the later and current builds will be more problem-free.

Mavboy2023

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh no!

They taught us in school to major in the minors.

We also were indoctrinated to expect perfection from businesses in general and bosses in particular.

Our personal schoolwork assignment's on the other hand were all lauded as excellent no matter how lousy the work we handed in was.

Personal accountability only counts for the “big guys”.
Expecting perfection in manufactured items as complex as automobiles is wishful thinking and OCD.

RLmesc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Kia Sportage, 05 Porsche Boxster S, 85 Kawasaki
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Long time lurker, but finally got my truck 2 weeks ago after about a 10 month wait. Life's been busy and haven't driven / or looked at it much but finally got around to it (didn't notice at delivery even though should have been obvious as angles / lighting were similar)

Anyone notice a lot of panel wavy ness around all 4 door handles ? My right rear is the worst and you really need to catch good angle and lighting to notice it. Now that I saw it, I can't unsee it.

Yeah yeah, it's a "cheap" truck but this is such a basic item that I am shocked it's this bad. Wife's van, very very slight (not ford)...

Anyways, this along with no 60/40 split rear bench and "ok" screen quality are only 3 things that could use improvement.

How is your panel ? You need to look and move to really catch it. First glance you will likely think it's fine.

Pics cant catch it, check out the video.

Not to be a nag but go online and see how these panels are made and you will understand why "stretched" metal from "stamping" leaves a mark. Unless, of course, you do not mind your auto being covered in bondo and sanded within an inch of its life, plus weighing another 100 lbs heavier... yes go look online and see WHY.... sorry, sorry, I blew up
Sponsored