Do you need premium gas?

deacon14

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500
Saw a vid on Youtube and they said that to get the mileage as advertised by Ford you had to run premium gas. Has anybody heard that? Tim Bartz what do you say you Maverick wizard?
Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think thatā€™s the common theory. To get the most power/efficiency youā€™ll need to run high octane.

Buy hey, get the hybrid. Fill up once every 500, 550, 600? Miles.

OP
OP

deacon14

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500
I think thatā€™s the common theory. To get the most power/efficiency youā€™ll need to run high octane.

I have one on order, XLT lux pkg and 360 in Alto Blue. So ready for it to get scheduled.

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
Saw a vid on Youtube and they said that to get the mileage as advertised by Ford you had to run premium gas. Has anybody heard that? Tim Bartz what do you say you Maverick wizard?
Dunno whether youā€™re wondering about the hybrid or the ecoboost but Iā€™ve been driving a 2.0l ecoboost for several years and notice a slight mpg boost in the summer and mild performance boost year round running premium.

tsled

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.helibuilder.net
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Gray, Hybrid, XLT Maverick
I have a 2021 Ranger with the 2L EcoBoost engine and the dealer said best to run premium, and my regular car mod friends say it all depends on compression ratio, if over 10 to 1 use premium.

Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are you asking about gas for the hybrid, or the EB? The EB will probably benefit from the higher octane (the manual indicates this to be true). Iā€™m not sure on the hybrid but Iā€™d GUESS not. Have you looked at the manual yet?

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2021 Ranger with the 2L EcoBoost engine and the dealer said best to run premium, and my regular car mod friends say it all depends on compression ratio, if over 10 to 1 use premium.
No, no.. generalizations based on very outdated information.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AAA ran a test a few years back on a 2017 F150 with the twin-turbo 3.5L Ecoboost V6. It "recommends" premium, much like the Maverick.

The results showed that the engine made 99.2% of the advertised power on regular unleaded. So premium gave the truck less than 1% more power, something you absolutely will not notice.

Unless you're towing 4000lbs with the Ecoboost in the desert at 125F uphill, just use 87 and save yourself some money. Premium is a marketing scam, essentially, with few exceptions. Even our G70 runs 87.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The EPA's site says its ratings are based on regular gasoline, not premium. Take that for what its worth.

The Maverick's book does say the 2.0L better performance from premium during warm weather and towing. The Hybrid, from what I understand, just takes regular.

Coachman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Even though I ordered my Mav with the EB, the hybrid version is what brought me to this dance. When I first heard the name Maverick & $20K for a brand new little pickup, I was captivated. However, with my living in northern Illinois and dealing with SNOW & ICE, I decided the 4 whl. drive was the better choice for me. With that said, I would have definitely ordered the hybrid if they offered it with AWD. Best of luck to all of us šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

Ralli

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Here is a blurb from a recent AAA report:

Gasoline Recommendations

Regardless of whether your car calls for regular or premium, the best choice for ongoing performance and economy is a TOP TIER gasoline. Recent AAA testing found TOP TIER gasolines keep internal engine components up to 19 times cleaner than gasolines that only meet minimum EPA standards. The TOP TIER requirements are voluntary, but 63 fuel brands have signed on as of June 14, 2018.

If you drive a car whose manufacturer recommends regular gasoline, paying more for premium is a waste of money. Recent AAA testing found no increase in power or fuel economy, and no reduction in exhaust emissions, when premium gasoline was used in cars designed for regular.

If you drive a car whose manufacturer says premium gasoline is "recommended", you may be able to use regular gasoline with no problems other than small losses in power and fuel economy. A mid-grade gasoline can be used to balance the tradeoffs between premium and regular.

If you drive a car whose manufacturer says premium gasoline is "required", and particularly if it is a high-performance car often operated at high-rpm and high-loads, the greater anti-knock capability of premium gas is essential to prevent knocking and provide the maximum rated power output. This is particularly true of engines fitted with turbochargers or superchargers.

https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/articles/don't-confuse-gasoline-octane-and-quality

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There can be a big difference in horsepower between 93 and 87 octane on turbocharged vehicles, but on fuel economy not usually very much, at least not enough to make up the difference because 99% of the time your engine is in a low boost state just cruising where it doesn't need extra knock resistance.

If you were towing in the summer though, that'd be different because the engine would be under a lot more strain than normal, and the higher octane would probably pay for itself.

I'd wager the Ecoboost probably loses 25hp during the summer on 87 vs 93, and maybe only 15hp in the winter.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There can be a big difference in horsepower between 93 and 87 octane on turbocharged vehicles, but on fuel economy not usually very much, at least not enough to make up the difference because 99% of the time your engine is in a low boost state just cruising where it doesn't need extra knock resistance.

If you were towing in the summer though, that'd be different because the engine would be under a lot more strain than normal, and the higher octane would probably pay for itself.

I'd wager the Ecoboost probably loses 25hp during the summer on 87 vs 93, and maybe only 15hp in the winter.
AAA conducted a test comparing peak power and fuel efficiency with 87 and 91 on several different cars/engines, including an F150 with 3.5L ecoboost https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content...ium-Fuel-Phase-II-Research-Report-FINAL-2.pdf. The ecoboost had 5% better efficiency and 2.1% more power on 91. The difference - in both efficiency and power- was significantly lower for some other cars and even negative in two instances. Based on that data, I'd wager that the 2L loses 10hp at most on 87. I know VW recommends premium on my turbocharged engine and the only reason is peak power, which they list as losing a whopping 3hp when using 87.

OP
OP

deacon14

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500
Are you asking about gas for the hybrid, or the EB? The EB will probably benefit from the higher octane (the manual indicates this to be true). Iā€™m not sure on the hybrid but Iā€™d GUESS not. Have you looked at the manual yet?
The Hybrid.

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even though I ordered my Mav with the EB, the hybrid version is what brought me to this dance. When I first heard the name Maverick & $20K for a brand new little pickup, I was captivated. However, with my living in northern Illinois and dealing with SNOW & ICE, I decided the 4 whl. drive was the better choice for me. With that said, I would have definitely ordered the hybrid if they offered it with AWD. Best of luck to all of us šŸ˜‰
You and me both with coming to Mav for $20k(ish) and a pickup!

I'd be right there with you on the AWD needed in Illinois, I grew up in Nebraska and always had AWD. My buddy in Omaha is getting the Mav and went with Ecoboost for that exact reason. I also feel Ford needs to pay me commission on getting him to buy one! hahaha.
Sponsored