Sponsored

Do hybrids warm up interior and defrost as quick as ICE vehicles?

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I tried leaving the heat on high and getting it to warm up with remote start and it would only warm the wheel and seats. Wish it would force the engine on to warm up. Heat is slow to warm up after driving
The fastest way to warm up a motor is to put a load on it. Not saying that's the best for the mechanicals.
Sponsored

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah I was just saying that the EcoBoost would run with the remote start but the hybrid doesent from my last winter with it

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah I was just saying that the EcoBoost would run with the remote start but the hybrid doesent from my last winter with it
Yeah, well hopefully I'll get to find out. I think that electric seat will help. I thought I'd find out last winter but, no. My anniversary is October, I'm crossing my fingers. Living with the hybrid in the winter and snow will be new for me. Was it weird compared to a normal setup?

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It was a shock to the system for me coming from a 99 s10. The heated seats and wheel were enough for me to be comfortable while waiting for the heat to be warm.

When you are driving for good mpg it takes the heat even longer. I would sometime drive 20 minutes to a place and the temp gauge hardly moved.

You can get the engine to start in park by tapping the gas but if the hybrid is charged it will turn off in a few seconds.

Gettkng the luxury package with the remote start on the fob wasnt really worth it for me now that I know it wont warm the engine.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It was a shock to the system for me coming from a 99 s10. The heated seats and wheel were enough for me to be comfortable while waiting for the heat to be warm.

When you are driving for good mpg it takes the heat even longer. I would sometime drive 20 minutes to a place and the temp gauge hardly moved.

You can get the engine to start in park by tapping the gas but if the hybrid is charged it will turn off in a few seconds.

Gettkng the luxury package with the remote start on the fob wasnt really worth it for me now that I know it wont warm the engine.
Hm I wonder if I misunderstood something you are saying, because my Hybrid engine would turn on with remote start if it was cold enough, like below 45-50. It would also turn on mirror defroster automatically at a certain temp threshold well above freezing which I found odd.

An alternative thing to try is the system setting for remote start to use “remember last setting” instead of automatic. You’d just have to remember to turn all your options on when you park for the day, before turning it off, I guess. I didn’t test that out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sbradford26

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I own a 2016 Prius and a 2016 Volt. In the Prius on a cold morning if you set the max settings for heat the Gas Engine will usually start. In normal use the battery level goes up and down so if the small storage battery is high, ECO mode will give you heat but when the gas engine is running it gets hotter faster. The Prius runs most things electrically. This is how for example it can still keep cooling the car with AC when your are stopped at a light and the gas engine shuts off. The gas engine will not come back on quickly when you pull away if you are VERY easy on the throttle. If you are not, the gas motor kicks in and powers the car along faster. I have gone as far as 6 miles on only electric. The storage battery in the Prius charges as you drive. It is not a plug in.

For the volt things are different. The gas motor only runs a generator. The electric motor only drives the wheels. Accessories are about the same as in the Prius (electric driven, not fan belt driven). When heater or AC is used in ECO mode it is pretty efficient but when MAX is used the range goes down pretty fast. Example say I start on a hot day with range 52 miles. Around town for 5 miles with AC on ECO, I may only have a range of 45 miles left where normally in town with the windows down I would have maybe 49 miles of range left. The Volt must be plugged in to charge. It will not charge while driving it unless you have 50 miles of downhill where regenerative braking can add some battery power. 240 volt cord takes 4.5 hours to get 52+miles. I gas up the 9 gallon tank about every other month because I mostly drive around town on electricity. I think my miles per gallon on this tank is 138 mpg. In winter heated seats and steering wheel take less power than Heater so they come on first.

I like both cars and they have been trouble free after 57k on Prius and 38k on Volt but any control module failure due to supply shortages could ground either car for months. That is a worry. Most Volt systems carry 8 year warranties on the Voltec system but still the parts must be in stock to fix quickly.
Just a fun fact, if it is a gen 2 volt. At certain speeds after you deplete the battery the gas engine will directly drive the front wheels. There isn't a transmission though so it is only done at like 50+ mph since that is when the engine rpm and wheel speed align.

nick112288

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in south east Indiana, even our worst winters these last few years it's been very few days below 10 degrees. Most right around freezing.

I learned a valuable lesson with my current diesel and that's block warmers are great and whatever Maverick I order in September will have one.

It's a cheap item, and as long as you remember to plug it in your vehicle is damn near at operating temp the moment you get in.

My wife's van's MPG tanks come winter time when she remote starts it and has to wait for the frost to get off the windows.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Remote start will start the engine if the heat is set. After all that was part of the whole freakout there for a while with the overheating catalytic converters.

The mirror defrosters seem to automatically turn on at about 58 degrees or lower.

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hm I wonder if I misunderstood something you are saying, because my Hybrid engine would turn on with remote start if it was cold enough, like below 45-50. It would also turn on mirror defroster automatically at a certain temp threshold well above freezing which I found odd.

An alternative thing to try is the system setting for remote start to use “remember last setting” instead of automatic. You’d just have to remember to turn all your options on when you park for the day, before turning it off, I guess. I didn’t test that out.
Cool thanks I'll try that in the winter. It definitely doesent matter with the ac as it's not pulley driven. In the sun on a 110°+ day it is cold in less than 5 minutes. Best ac I've had in my time by far.

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I learned a valuable lesson with my current diesel and that's block warmers are great and whatever Maverick I order in September will have one.

It's a cheap item, and as long as you remember to plug it in your vehicle is damn near at operating temp the moment you get in.
I'm in Northern Wisconsin, I'll be ordering the $90.00 Engine Block Heater Option for my 2023 Maverick!!!!!
Sponsored