Sponsored

Do hybrids warm up interior and defrost as quick as ICE vehicles?

Harleystreetbob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
harley electra glide maverick hybrid xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious for the members who have owned previous hybrids and live in cold climate winters,do hybrids warm up the interior and defrost as quick as gasoline only vehicles?
Sponsored

frrocketdan

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm curious for the members who have owned previous hybrids and live in cold climate winters,do hybrids warm up the interior and defrost as quick as gasoline only vehicles?
It’s essentially the same because the gasoline engine will basically kick on immediately regardless of the state of charge of your battery when it’s that cold. 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid owner from around Chicago.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
It’s essentially the same because the gasoline engine will basically kick on immediately regardless of the state of charge of your battery when it’s that cold. 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid owner from around Chicago.
Yep, and you can turn the ICE on and off by turning the heat on and off. 2013 C-Max and 2020 Escape Hybrid owner.

Sponsored

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I own a 2016 Prius and a 2016 Volt. In the Prius on a cold morning if you set the max settings for heat the Gas Engine will usually start. In normal use the battery level goes up and down so if the small storage battery is high, ECO mode will give you heat but when the gas engine is running it gets hotter faster. The Prius runs most things electrically. This is how for example it can still keep cooling the car with AC when your are stopped at a light and the gas engine shuts off. The gas engine will not come back on quickly when you pull away if you are VERY easy on the throttle. If you are not, the gas motor kicks in and powers the car along faster. I have gone as far as 6 miles on only electric. The storage battery in the Prius charges as you drive. It is not a plug in.

For the volt things are different. The gas motor only runs a generator. The electric motor only drives the wheels. Accessories are about the same as in the Prius (electric driven, not fan belt driven). When heater or AC is used in ECO mode it is pretty efficient but when MAX is used the range goes down pretty fast. Example say I start on a hot day with range 52 miles. Around town for 5 miles with AC on ECO, I may only have a range of 45 miles left where normally in town with the windows down I would have maybe 49 miles of range left. The Volt must be plugged in to charge. It will not charge while driving it unless you have 50 miles of downhill where regenerative braking can add some battery power. 240 volt cord takes 4.5 hours to get 52+miles. I gas up the 9 gallon tank about every other month because I mostly drive around town on electricity. I think my miles per gallon on this tank is 138 mpg. In winter heated seats and steering wheel take less power than Heater so they come on first.

I like both cars and they have been trouble free after 57k on Prius and 38k on Volt but any control module failure due to supply shortages could ground either car for months. That is a worry. Most Volt systems carry 8 year warranties on the Voltec system but still the parts must be in stock to fix quickly.

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My experience is that if outside temps are cold enough and your heater settings are asking for heat, the gas engine will come on until it heats up and passes it on to warm the cabin. If you don't want it to come on, turn your heater setting to not require heat.
This is from my experience in 2 different hybrids: Olds and Honda Accord.

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
Owned several hybrids and they are faster. My Honda in particular is almost immediate. They can use electric heaters while the engine warms up. I can watch my Ford hybrid RAISE the engine coolant temperature BEFORE the ICE has ever started! (Because they share the same coolant loop). Talk about babying the engine!......

My plug-in hybrid (50 mile EV range) can heat the interior purely on cheap wall power so I don’t even need to start the ICE during drives that occur within that EV range which is most trips.

NOTE: I’m in south Texas so no super harsh low temps.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. For some reason that car would not automatically restart to keep the car warm in winter, but would automatically restart to keep the car cool in summer. No idea how Ford's system works.

Sponsored

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Our C-Max is faster to warm up the cabin than our 2.0EB Escape, No contest.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Owned several hybrids and they are faster. My Honda in particular is almost immediate. They can use electric heaters while the engine warms up. I can watch my Ford hybrid RAISE the engine coolant temperature BEFORE the ICE has ever started! (Because they share the same coolant loop). Talk about babying the engine!......

My plug-in hybrid (50 mile EV range) can heat the interior purely on cheap wall power so I don’t even need to start the ICE during drives that occur within that EV range which is most trips.

NOTE: I’m in south Texas so no super harsh low temps.
And the engine can run at a higher rpm and load than a ICE engine; an example would be driving at really low vehicle speed while the engine is operating at a much higher rpm than needed in a non-hybrid vehicle.

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I tried leaving the heat on high and getting it to warm up with remote start and it would only warm the wheel and seats. Wish it would force the engine on to warm up. Heat is slow to warm up after driving
Sponsored