BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi Guys. Finally decided to register because I have a question.
My understanding is that the ICE does not kick in until x mph. I don't know the exact speed but when it does kick in, let's say rpm starts above 1500 i guess and on a cold start with the all the oil still at the bottom, doesn't that cause major wear and tear on the engine?
Hoping you guys could explain because I have no idea how it works.
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My understanding is that the ICE does not kick in until x mph. I don't know the exact speed but when it does kick in, let's say rpm starts above 1500 i guess and on a cold start with the all the oil still at the bottom, doesn't that cause major wear and tear on the engine?
Current oil systems push oil extremely fast. I wouldnt worry about it

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Current oil systems push oil extremely fast. I wouldnt worry about it
Also, the hybrid uses 0W-20 synthetic oil, so at the 0 viscosity the oil will move pretty fast to the cylinders.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Also in one of the hybrid videos I saw the ICE kicked in immediately on startup because it was cold.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BoboysTruck

BoboysTruck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Focus, Juke
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you for clearing that up

Nathan

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV Fusion, Hybrid Fusion, Mustang GT, Miata
I have a hybrid Ford Fusion and a plug-in hybrid Ford Fusion and they both have a display that shows the transfer of power when the engine comes on. It typically doesn't flip from 100% electric to 100% ICE.. there's a warm handoff in the transfer of power and it's very smooth. If the weather is cold out, my plug-in hybrid will warm the engine up for a bit before it's even needed.

My hybrid Maverick is just one state away on a train šŸ™šŸŽ…šŸŽ

Sweet Willie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see you are from Hobucken, NC (God's Country) as well.

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
In a parallel hybrid design, unless you floor it or otherwise demand major power, a cold ICE will fire up at low rpm and get the oil moving while the EV motor continues to provide the majority of the propulsion. Then, seconds later, they blend together and both provide propulsion.

On cold mornings, it's not unusual to hear the ICE running high rpm to warm up yet the car doesn't "take off" when you put it in gear like a regular car; instead, it can move around in EV (assuming enough battery power) while waiting for the ICE to warm up and engage.

In vehicles with a power meter or other type of display, one can watch the indicators and see when and what is providing power. This is all computer controlled and works (nearly) seamlessly.

Sponsored

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
In my first hand experience with numerous Priusā€™s they have all burned oil earlier than I think they should. Yota has always said they were within spec. I have continued to buy them and drive the crap out of them. I still own two but a hybrid Maverick will take the place of one and an old Ranger at some point. Battery life has been a bigger issue for me. Take from this what you will.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Cold start behavior of my HF45 Escape (and the HF35 C-Max) depends on several things.
- Very low HVB charge level will bring the ICE on right away.
- Low ambient temperature will bring ICE on right away, espeically if you have the heat turned on.
- Once moving, high HVB charge will let you EV a short distance, but ICE will eventually start.
Cold ICE always starts in a "special" mode which lasts ~20 sec. and heats the catalytic converter (I think).​
In this "special" start-up mode, ICE output is limited; most power is EV assist, regardless HVB charge.​
This mode can repeat, mid-trip, if the ICE is off a long time (long hills)​

Hybrids use an electric pump for the oil, which pushes it into the engine before it starts, and keeps it moving, otherwise all the oil would settle in the pan whenever the ICE shuts down.
Hybrids have two oil pumps, and they're not always electric. The ICE has the same oil sump and pump as most other ICEs.

The transmission has an oil pump, to feed the stators for cooling. Splashing takes care of the gears. Plug-in (PHEV) and EV (BEV) need electric pumps, but teardowns I've seen show mechanical pumps in hybrids. That makes sense because the ICE is always running when maximum cooling is needed: in "series" mode. Maximum torque comes when ICE runs the charging motor to generate current for the traction motor. It's the only time both stators get pushed, and need cooling.

my first hand experience with numerous Priusā€™s
I always caution the Prius community, as I would for early Escape Hybrids, that technology has advanced significantly since the early generations of these cars. Li-ion batteries are the game changer. They do not die in hybrid applications. (And I've yet to add oil to a Ford Hybrid, but 2 is a small sample.)

Last edited:

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
They do not die in hybrid applications. (And I've yet to add oil to a Ford Hybrid, but 2 is a small sample.)
If you drive them long enough they will. Both cases. Itā€™s just how machinery and batteries work. Iā€™m not ragging on Toyota or Ford but the chances of these systems being trouble free for the next 15 years and 300k miles is almost naught. Iā€™ve read a lot of threads with unrealistic real world expectations. Iā€™m still buying one. šŸ˜

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you drive them long enough they will. Both cases. Itā€™s just how machinery and batteries work. Iā€™m not ragging on Toyota or Ford but the chances of these systems being trouble free for the next 15 years and 300k miles is almost naught. Iā€™ve read a lot of threads with unrealistic real world expectations. Iā€™m still buying one. šŸ˜
Ye have little faith. My Hybrid is 14 years old, over 150,000k miles, with the original battery.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hybrids have two oil pumps, and they're not always electric. The ICE has the same oil sump and pump as most other ICEs.
Maybe brand depended, but Toyota uses the electric pump to push oil into the ICE before it starts (this info came from a Toyota Mast Tech), thus reducing wear on the engine when making a cold start.
Sponsored