Ogre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey guys,

I've had my Maverick (Alto Blue XLT Lux Hybrid) for about a month (506 day wait) and I am looking to make the center console/interior more functional while also keeping a "clean" look. I plan on installing wireless charging using Chris Dunning's video. Like Chris, I plan on using Fuse #3 to power the charger.

I love the wireless Android Auto. The MA1 dongle is awesome, but I want to hide it utilizing the same method TrippMe has posted in the forum previously. This will potentially leave me with a dead USB A port, so my first question is this: Can I re-wire that USB port for power only by tapping the fuse box (Similar to the MA1)? My electrical experience is limited.

I will also be installing ambient lighting in all 4 footwells, the front center console and hopefully the cupholders using a modified kit. I'd like to install something similar to this for center console lighting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AFU4QF4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A6XWG1D8Q4A4V&psc=1 To be honest, I will need to make sure the light has more of a flood effect than a narrow cone, but I don't want to mount an entire strip of LED's.

Anyway, I plan on using this thread to document and post pictures as I work on and complete the mods. Everything I needed for the wireless charging installation was delivered yesterday, so I'm hoping I'll be able to post pictures of completion this weekend. I appreciate all the work and conversations you've all had that allow me to research everything, and I'm hoping I can bounce some ideas off of you before or during the process(es).
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ogre2007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ogre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I finally got started on the wireless charger. First, I needed to make sure the charger wouldn't have any problem with varying thicknesses of material and inserts in the center console.
Ford Maverick DIY Project: Wireless charger, hidden MA1 dongle, ambient lighting, rewire of USB, & clean up 20230323_145530

After double and triple checking the fuse, amperage and tap orientation, away we went. The first issue came up shortly after opening the package to the adapter. I knew immediately the red wire was not going to be long enough. The only wire I had was white 18 ga. It had to be red, so down to the big box store I went.
Ford Maverick DIY Project: Wireless charger, hidden MA1 dongle, ambient lighting, rewire of USB, & clean up 20230324_153002

I came back and took off the fuse cover and passenger side console cover. This part was easy and painless. I started assembling the fuse tap and noticed the light yellow fuses were 20A fuses....not 7.5 like I had expected, so back to the store I went. Hopefully done with the driving, I re-checked the fuses and tap orientation and installed them.
Ford Maverick DIY Project: Wireless charger, hidden MA1 dongle, ambient lighting, rewire of USB, & clean up 20230324_192214

Finally, I felt like I was making progress. I hooked up the battery and checked for power. Power was confirmed, so I disconnected the battery again and went over to the driver's side and prepared to mount the charger. I knew from playing around with it that I had a lot of wiggle room. Another thing that was different for me compared to Chris' video is the attachment of the charger. In his video, there is a huge adhesive pad on the charger. I ordered the same one, but it came with 2 strips of velcro instead. I actually liked this better as it would allow removal or movement in the future.
Ford Maverick DIY Project: Wireless charger, hidden MA1 dongle, ambient lighting, rewire of USB, & clean up 20230324_193300

Once it was installed and completely hooked up, I reconnected the battery and started the truck. Threw my phone in the center console and was greeted by a charging signal. Afterward, I cleaned and buttoned everything up. A very simple installation, only complicated by a small lack of foresight.

Looking back, I spent more time driving to and from stores picking up incidentals to complete the project. I would suggest having some wire and fuses on hand if possible. Combined with cleaning afterward, I'd say it took about half an hour. Although I haven't had it long, I am sure I will be enjoying this addition.

All told from Amazon it cost $54.85. The fuses and wire were another $15, so less than $70.

Pending Delivery tomorrow, hopefully I will be able to hid the MA1 Dongle.

OP
OP

Ogre2007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ogre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got what I needed to make the MA1 hidden! I should be able to pop the trim off, disconnect the USB-A, plug in the adapter and then button everything up.
Ford Maverick DIY Project: Wireless charger, hidden MA1 dongle, ambient lighting, rewire of USB, & clean up 20230325_173603

The trim took a little bit more effort than the sides of the center console, but I still managed not to scuff anything. With the connection exposed, I went to work.
Ford Maverick DIY Project: Wireless charger, hidden MA1 dongle, ambient lighting, rewire of USB, & clean up 20230325_183122

I continued to work on it for 10-15 minutes before giving up. I was getting close to the point where I was going to break something from applying too much pressure trying to disconnect the switch. For whatever reason, I could not figure out what or where was securing the connection and how to disengage it. Disappointed, but not willing to risk damaging anything, I buttoned it up and found my good double sided tape. I cut what I needed and mounted it where I could still disconnect if necessary.
Ford Maverick DIY Project: Wireless charger, hidden MA1 dongle, ambient lighting, rewire of USB, & clean up 20230325_183852

It's not exactly what I was looking for, but I think I'll still be happy with it. Time will tell. At least now I do not have to worry about making that USB-A port functional after being disconnected.

OP
OP

Ogre2007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ogre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A quick follow up: The small strips of mounting adhesive on the wireless charging unit are prone to failure. The solution was applying 3 strips of Gorilla Glue's Clear mounting tape. It's held so far.

Over the last week I've been slowly installing bits and pieces of the LED kit. I went with the OPT7 double row LED's. Once I was under the dash, I noticed there isn't a good place to install the light strips (I didn't want to put them on the knee airbag). I decided to use the existing LED mount under the driver's side dash. I cut a strip of 1/8" hardwood the same dimensions as the light strip. Then I countersunk and drove a screw into a backer, sandwiching the existing mount between the 2 pieces of wood. Then I mounted the strip to the wood and also zip-tied it to the piece of wood.

Ford Maverick DIY Project: Wireless charger, hidden MA1 dongle, ambient lighting, rewire of USB, & clean up 20230405_144540

Under the front passenger dash, there was a decent place to hang it using the same method near the bottom of the glove box. I decided I wanted mine a little further up and towards the back of the footwell. Same procedure, except this time I glued and zip-tied the light strip first, before zip-tying it to some conveniently located mounting holes under the passenger side dash.
Ford Maverick DIY Project: Wireless charger, hidden MA1 dongle, ambient lighting, rewire of USB, & clean up 20230405_144609

After this, I checked for power through the cigarette lighter and everything looked good. I decided to run a fuse tap into fuse #6. and once I was done pulling wires and hooking everything back up - no power. I switched it into fuse #3, since I know it is working, but still no power.

I don't know where things went awry, but I didn't have time to do much more today. I did have to bend the fuse tap so that it would fit into the location, so maybe I damaged it. I also did not have a good connector for the ground, so that could have been it too. There is also a chance I messed up the only 2 wires I had to deal with for power.

Looking ahead, I would really like to sacrifice one of the 6 double row LED's and use it for the center console lighting if I can find an option. With Easter coming up, it could be another week before I'm able to deal with this again, so we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How have you been doing with the MA1?

I have one and it has been sporadically not connecting. I have to run back through the set up at least once a week.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ogre2007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ogre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It has treated me well. I haven't had to re-pair it or run it back through the set up. Sometimes it will take 5-10 seconds to connect, but that's not honestly a big deal for me - I'm usually still pushing buttons when it kicks on. I'd say zero real issues with the MA1.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I have one and it has been sporadically not connecting. I have to run back through the set up at least once a week.
It has treated me well. I haven't had to re-pair it or run it back through the set up. Sometimes it will take 5-10 seconds to connect, but that's not honestly a big deal for me - I'm usually still pushing buttons when it kicks on. I'd say zero real issues with the MA1.
I have the MA1 but I don't yet have a Maverick. I use it in my Kia Sportage and it works flawlessly. It was on sale at Target back in January for $70 and the thread on Slickdeals had some people who were complaining it didn't work well so I almost didn't purchase it. Now I'm so glad that I did. Having wireless Android Auto is awesome. In the past I would barely use Android Auto because it required plugging the phone in every time I got in the car which always seemed so silly to me. I wondered if maybe the MA1 worked better on some cars then others so Ogre2007 I'm glad to hear that it's working good for you in your Maverick. I should have my Maverick by sometime in June.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the MA1 but I don't yet have a Maverick. I use it in my Kia Sportage and it works flawlessly. It was on sale at Target back in January for $70 and the thread on Slickdeals had some people who were complaining it didn't work well so I almost didn't purchase it. Now I'm so glad that I did. Having wireless Android Auto is awesome. In the past I would barely use Android Auto because it required plugging the phone in every time I got in the car which always seemed so silly to me. I wondered if maybe the MA1 worked better on some cars then others so Ogre2007 I'm glad to hear that it's working good for you in your Maverick. I should have my Maverick by sometime in June.
This was driving me bonkers still, as it would only connect if I briefly plugged it in and then removed it.

I figured out my issue.

I went into Android Auto and "forgot" the Ford Audio that was in there. Now it works everytime with no issues!

Thanks for the heads up that it wasn't a compatabilty issue.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This was driving me bonkers still, as it would only connect if I briefly plugged it in and then removed it.

I figured out my issue.

I went into Android Auto and "forgot" the Ford Audio that was in there. Now it works everytime with no issues!

Thanks for the heads up that it wasn't a compatabilty issue.
Ahh, good catch. That's good to know!

Old Kevv

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A quick follow up: The small strips of mounting adhesive on the wireless charging unit are prone to failure. The solution was applying 3 strips of Gorilla Glue's Clear mounting tape. It's held so far.
Thanks for this... I have had to re-stick the original 3M strips once a week... was driving me nuts. ordering the tape now...

Sponsored

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Might want to look into AAwireless. It's been pretty much flawless for me for a year

WeBasic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I tried using a splitter cable between the stock Ford USB OEM connector (it uses an old USB type b connecter) but data didn't pass through so I used a ribbon cable on the front to loop bac behind the dash.

Ford Maverick DIY Project: Wireless charger, hidden MA1 dongle, ambient lighting, rewire of USB, & clean up PXL_20230414_145736306

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Got what I needed to make the MA1 hidden! I should be able to pop the trim off, disconnect the USB-A, plug in the adapter and then button everything up.
20230325_173603.jpg

The trim took a little bit more effort than the sides of the center console, but I still managed not to scuff anything. With the connection exposed, I went to work.
20230325_183122.jpg

I continued to work on it for 10-15 minutes before giving up. I was getting close to the point where I was going to break something from applying too much pressure trying to disconnect the switch. For whatever reason, I could not figure out what or where was securing the connection and how to disengage it. Disappointed, but not willing to risk damaging anything, I buttoned it up and found my good double sided tape. I cut what I needed and mounted it where I could still disconnect if necessary.
20230325_183852.jpg

It's not exactly what I was looking for, but I think I'll still be happy with it. Time will tell. At least now I do not have to worry about making that USB-A port functional after being disconnected.
I was planning on doing the same thing. I want to keep it all hidden and away and it's wire-free as possible. Do you think it would be as easy as splitting each wire and then adding a USB port to it? You would probably need a wire and diagram to figure out each wire though. Just food for thought and questions I've had. unfortunately I still don't have a truck not even scheduled to be built.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just FYI: I got a Collision Avoidance Camera Failure notice when I tapped off #3 fuse. I think it monitors voltage consumption and if your charger draws too much power, you could get the notice. The solution was to switch my tap to the #6 fuse and it cleared, with no issue.

OP
OP

Ogre2007

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ogre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was planning on doing the same thing. I want to keep it all hidden and away and it's wire-free as possible. Do you think it would be as easy as splitting each wire and then adding a USB port to it? You would probably need a wire and diagram to figure out each wire though. Just food for thought and questions I've had. unfortunately I still don't have a truck not even scheduled to be built.
Figuring out how to detach the wire was the sticking point for me. I was hoping I could just use a 1 to 2 USB splitter and have everything be plug-n-play, but it didn't work out that way. If you get it figured out, let me know!!!
Sponsored