First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice review. Coming from vehicles, like a Jeep ZJ/MJ and a OBS Bronco, our Tremor is very car-like. Smooth, barely any body roll, just a touch of bounce from the rear end speeding over speed bumps(i like to call them ramps), not so much truck as station wagon. That may be changed a bit with our topper installed. Fully setup it probably add 220lb max. It can get truly great fuel mileage but not over 65mpg, not on a hill, and not anywhere but a couple 7 mile stretches of Maui. When Im on those stretches the fuel coach indicates 30+mpg, which tracks with what I experienced on the highway on the mainland. On Maui, on our roads and routes its 20mpg, also we are always loaded just a couple hundred lbs under max payload.

All that is more than well traded for the fact that this thing grips like Spider-Man. If it has the clearance and angles it sticks. Plain and simple. The other thing is just how fast it is. I havent had a fast car for about 8 years and I thought I was gonna have to tune it and do other speed stuff right off the bat. But so far I just havent been wanting for more speed. The only place it isnt grin on your face fast is at take-off. But floor it when you see that opening ahead while merging, it literally rears up and launches.

I just love these trucks. XLT has enough luxury for a poor guy like me. The last luxury I rode in regularly was a 77 Lincoln Mark. This has every feature that had except power seats. Its not as luxurious as my brothers Cadillac but it is probably classier than I am.
Literally the first thing I noticed when I picked up my mav was how well it handled. I came out of a mazda 3 which handled exceptionally well and there was almost no difference. The mav has more power than the mazda did, but you are absolutely right when you say it doesn't come off the line that hard but loves to pass at highway speeds. Can't count how many times I went to pass at 65 and was doing 95 before I realized it. I think ford neuters the power spikes to preserve the transmission, or maybe 4 banger turbos just don't have that much low end grunt but the mav never feels underpowered. It's surprisingly fun to drive.

The XLT interior is rather utilitarian and I like it that way. All the new cars are coming with these giant screens in the dash and I really hate interacting with a vehicle via a screen. Gimme old fashioned knobs and switches any day.

It's also more comfortable to drive long distances than I thought it would be. I would like just a bit more cushioning but honestly it's fine.

The 4k towing keeps mileage down, the best I got was about 32mpg on a 4 hour highway run; mostly it's down around 20 with all the stop and go I do. Could be better, but it doesn't really concern me. The truck has literally every feature I felt I needed and all the things I wanted. It was really nice to be able to order pretty much exactly what I wanted.

The only thing that worries me is long term reliability. I probably won't have it all that long so the point is probably moot, but lacking any actual data it's all conjecture.
Sponsored

boxster03

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you are looking into the future for resale - the XL no options ecoboost $23K truck will be worth more than the $40K fully optioned Lariat - already seeing it - ask me how I know ? I work for CarMax

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Literally the first thing I noticed when I picked up my mav was how well it handled. I came out of a mazda 3 which handled exceptionally well and there was almost no difference. The mav has more power than the mazda did, but you are absolutely right when you say it doesn't come off the line that hard but loves to pass at highway speeds. Can't count how many times I went to pass at 65 and was doing 95 before I realized it. I think ford neuters the power spikes to preserve the transmission, or maybe 4 banger turbos just don't have that much low end grunt but the mav never feels underpowered. It's surprisingly fun to drive.

The XLT interior is rather utilitarian and I like it that way. All the new cars are coming with these giant screens in the dash and I really hate interacting with a vehicle via a screen. Gimme old fashioned knobs and switches any day.

It's also more comfortable to drive long distances than I thought it would be. I would like just a bit more cushioning but honestly it's fine.

The 4k towing keeps mileage down, the best I got was about 32mpg on a 4 hour highway run; mostly it's down around 20 with all the stop and go I do. Could be better, but it doesn't really concern me. The truck has literally every feature I felt I needed and all the things I wanted. It was really nice to be able to order pretty much exactly what I wanted.

The only thing that worries me is long term reliability. I probably won't have it all that long so the point is probably moot, but lacking any actual data it's all conjecture.
I think it will hold up well, especially with the Tremors/FX4/4k. They all have extra cooling, more robust parts. and just maybe while on the assembly line the more special models got just a bit of extra attention. Maybe.

Only gripe I have had at all about the interior is the passenger seat doesnt have the manual tilt adjustment that the drivers seat has. Thats a lil silly to me and for the rare occasions I dont drive, its just not as comfy. My wife doesnt seem to care though.

MavJet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you are looking into the future for resale - the XL no options ecoboost $23K truck will be worth more than the $40K fully optioned Lariat - already seeing it - ask me how I know ? I work for CarMax
Sorry, there’s no way a XL BASE model is worth more money than a same model Loaded Lariat! I’m calling BS on that!

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Well ladies and gentlemen we are now a few years into this wonder truck. I have owned quite a few of this in quite a few different forms. Picking up a 2024 hybrid in May (only the 10th or 11th build date gotten).

This review is for those who do not quite know which to get.

First and foremost-MPG's
How much liquid dinosaur to the different setups use? Well if you are strictly in town and don't tow the hybrid is the hands down winner. I can easily average 50 mpgs around town. Highway it is 30-35 depending on how heavy the foot is. I went from Tuscaloosa, AL to Stone Mountain, GA. Filled up in Tuscaloosa. Stayed two days in GA. Filled up this side of Atlanta on the way back because I had finally gotten down to 1/4 of a tank.

The Fx4-I honestly averaged 30-33 on the highway with this vehicle. That was dang impressive. It gave the hybrid a run for its money on the highway. In town it dropped to the mid 20s. Average over 5k miles was 29 MPGs. Where this truck impressed was the go go power, but that is for later in the review. If you tow or have a lot of highway miles, this is the truck for you.(Mine has the 4k package)

The Tremor-Fuel is not its friend. I dont know why its so different. Mid 20s on hwy, high teens in town. Its fast, but still has the 2k limit.

Drivability-This one is simple and straightforward. The hybrid behaves like a large car. The FX4 like a nimble SUV and the Tremor like a truck. The hybrid feels smooth and linear. They FX4 feels slightly more planted, but a little bit more body roll. The Tremor lets you feel like you know all 4 tires are good and planted. It has much more body roll but nothing alarming.

All of this transfers to rain and slick conditions. The hybrid you slow up a little but never feel a true lack of traction. If you hit mud, turn off the traction control otherwise the trucks computer will pull you to a hard stop and not let you go.

The FX4 never feels out of touch. Its good on slick conditions and give you a nice feel of confidence, even in snow and ice.

The Tremor is almost an offroad truck. The computer is dead on putting power where power needs to be put. Great in any sketchy situation.

They are all comfortable on the highway. They all tow well. The hybrid had never left me wanting more power, the 2.0 has had me surprised at the power. If the hybrid is a 'quick' little truck(and it is) then the 2.0 is plain fast. It is hands down faster than some sports cars of the 90s and as fast as most factory trucks today.

Reliability-The only one that has left me stuck has been the hybrid with the first recall of a bad connection. Other than that they have all be rock solid trucks. The 2022 did develop a rattle. The 2023s have not.

Lariat vs XLT-
This comes straight down to preference. After having the Lariat I will not go back to the XLT. The wireless charging is nice. I find my self using AA less and less(would NOT be the case if it were AA Wireless) and relying on the nav system. The voice recognition is horrible. I would rather the AA still today. I have a lifetime Sirius account so that gets used more than not. The best part of the Lariat is the powered rear window. It is nice to be able to push a button and open it. Great air flow when it is open and nice to crack the sunroof and that on a hot day. The XLT seats are more comfortable, but the heated seats and steering wheel are a worthy tradeoff. The lake keeping vs lane centering differences are astounding. The lariat HOLDS that centerline. Stop and go traffic the truck will do the work for you if you can learn to trust it. Its as close to self driving as you can get without self driving. If you dont need or want any of this than the XLT is fine.

Bottom line, I recommend them all. Hopefully this will help some of you trying to decide which is for you.
Booyah 👊🏽 😁 👍🏽 🇺🇸

Sponsored

dasblack

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why would a xl have a higher resale value than a lariat?

clos0791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Alto Blue AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm really surprised and impressed with my 23 Lariat Eco, AWD, Lux, sunroof. Love the heated steering wheel and heated seats at remote start. The B&O sound system is perfect for me. The ride quality is very nice. All the safery features work flawlessly. It's a solid mini truck. I may keep it for a long time.

boxster03

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Options don't hold their resale value and as the vehicles age they become problematic and buyers prefer the 'simpler' vehicles - at some point those with more options become less valuable

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well ladies and gentlemen we are now a few years into this wonder truck. I have owned quite a few of this in quite a few different forms. Picking up a 2024 hybrid in May (only the 10th or 11th build date gotten).

This review is for those who do not quite know which to get.

First and foremost-MPG's
How much liquid dinosaur to the different setups use? Well if you are strictly in town and don't tow the hybrid is the hands down winner. I can easily average 50 mpgs around town. Highway it is 30-35 depending on how heavy the foot is. I went from Tuscaloosa, AL to Stone Mountain, GA. Filled up in Tuscaloosa. Stayed two days in GA. Filled up this side of Atlanta on the way back because I had finally gotten down to 1/4 of a tank.

The Fx4-I honestly averaged 30-33 on the highway with this vehicle. That was dang impressive. It gave the hybrid a run for its money on the highway. In town it dropped to the mid 20s. Average over 5k miles was 29 MPGs. Where this truck impressed was the go go power, but that is for later in the review. If you tow or have a lot of highway miles, this is the truck for you.(Mine has the 4k package)

The Tremor-Fuel is not its friend. I dont know why its so different. Mid 20s on hwy, high teens in town. Its fast, but still has the 2k limit.

Drivability-This one is simple and straightforward. The hybrid behaves like a large car. The FX4 like a nimble SUV and the Tremor like a truck. The hybrid feels smooth and linear. They FX4 feels slightly more planted, but a little bit more body roll. The Tremor lets you feel like you know all 4 tires are good and planted. It has much more body roll but nothing alarming.

All of this transfers to rain and slick conditions. The hybrid you slow up a little but never feel a true lack of traction. If you hit mud, turn off the traction control otherwise the trucks computer will pull you to a hard stop and not let you go.

The FX4 never feels out of touch. Its good on slick conditions and give you a nice feel of confidence, even in snow and ice.

The Tremor is almost an offroad truck. The computer is dead on putting power where power needs to be put. Great in any sketchy situation.

They are all comfortable on the highway. They all tow well. The hybrid had never left me wanting more power, the 2.0 has had me surprised at the power. If the hybrid is a 'quick' little truck(and it is) then the 2.0 is plain fast. It is hands down faster than some sports cars of the 90s and as fast as most factory trucks today.

Reliability-The only one that has left me stuck has been the hybrid with the first recall of a bad connection. Other than that they have all be rock solid trucks. The 2022 did develop a rattle. The 2023s have not.

Lariat vs XLT-
This comes straight down to preference. After having the Lariat I will not go back to the XLT. The wireless charging is nice. I find my self using AA less and less(would NOT be the case if it were AA Wireless) and relying on the nav system. The voice recognition is horrible. I would rather the AA still today. I have a lifetime Sirius account so that gets used more than not. The best part of the Lariat is the powered rear window. It is nice to be able to push a button and open it. Great air flow when it is open and nice to crack the sunroof and that on a hot day. The XLT seats are more comfortable, but the heated seats and steering wheel are a worthy tradeoff. The lake keeping vs lane centering differences are astounding. The lariat HOLDS that centerline. Stop and go traffic the truck will do the work for you if you can learn to trust it. Its as close to self driving as you can get without self driving. If you dont need or want any of this than the XLT is fine.

Bottom line, I recommend them all. Hopefully this will help some of you trying to decide which is for you.
Great review! I certainly love my Hybrid, it's fit every need I've put on it so far and hasn't let me down! Did you receive any type of recognization from Ford for being the highest single owner of the most Mavericks? 😳🤣🤣

Mavreezy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I find this thread insulting.

To compare the beautiful and one-of-a-kind Lariat in the same category as the poverty/peasant editions (XL, XLT), is a slap in the face to Lariat owners.

To be honest, I don't even like reading the Lariat being used in the same sentence with the XL and XLT' models.

MODERATOR, please take this thread down immediately!

God bless

Sponsored

SloopJB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick FX4 ECO/AWD Cactus Gray XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Good read.

My choice of Lariat came down to two things: heated steering wheel and auto-cruise. If those were available on the XLT, I would have gone that route.
My 2024 XLT c/w LUX came with heated steering and seats. Have cruise control and CP 360 as well

i have a Lariat Hybrid on order since Aug 1. It has been scheduled and rescheduled 3x. Got tired of waiting. My dealer had mine delivered 2 weeks ago. I loved it and bought it. He will sell my order when it arrives, probably some time in April or May

Last edited:

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 2024 XLT c/w LUX came with heated steering and seats. Have cruise control and CP 360 as well

i have a Lariat Hybrid on order since Aug 1. It has been scheduled and rescheduled 3x. Got tired of waiting. My dealer had mine delivered 2 weeks ago. I loved it and bought it. He will sell my order when it arrives, probably some time in April or May
Mine is a 23. Options were more limited for that model year. Pretty much had to get the top model to get the goodies.

Avnett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I apologize. I misread and thought you ordered lariat. FWIW I prefer Line X anyhow
Guys, no need to order.. Mavericks are available in Salt Lake City. No upcharge or dealer pac. Hit me up on email for details. If you are out of state, you can take delivery on an MSO and title it on your state. They will give you a 45 day temp tag to drive it home.

Mark S.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Taller suspension and heavier tires. The higher you sit, the more wind affects fuel economy. Heavier tires generate greater resistance to rotation, therefore they require more power to accelerate. More power means more fuel.
Sponsored