Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
I had the chance for an extended drive with the Hybrid powertrain and I have to say, overall I'm impressed. The power is without a doubt there, I would not pay much attention to the numbers on paper because the torque from the electric motor combined with the ICE make this truck brush off it's weight figures. Highway alone consistently gave me in the low to mid thirties but driving around town I was close to 50mpg. Anyone on the fence about power; unless you absolutely need the towing capacity I would wait until the order banks open up for the 2023 and get the hybrid model.

Reactions: Aza
OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would not pay much attention to the numbers on paper because the torque from the electric motor combined with the ICE make this truck brush off it's weight figures.
Yeah, they mentioned that around the 13:30 point that the roll-on drag race test was likely so similar because the electric motor and CVT kick in so quickly, whereas the Ecoboost had to drop several gears.

Ecoboost still won by about a car length, but closer than you'd think on paper.

However, earlier in the video on the entrance ramp when they tried to go in slow and power out, the AWD Ecoboost had no problem whereas the FWD Hybrid had a "traction control event" where he said it pulled a lot of power on him. More of a FWD vs AWD issue, but since Hybrid is only FWD its a notable difference.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, they mentioned that in another video too, but that does make for a pretty big jump in price since they also say "might as well get 4K tow package" too, and now you're looking at a $4K price difference. :oops:

$23,955 (XLT Hybrid w/ tow hitch) vs $27,905 (XLT Ecoboost 4K)

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think Ford needed a proven drivetrain (EB/8AT) for the 4K tow. My guess is, the hybrid ECVT is not robust enough for increased tow capacity. With no option to get more than 2K towing, that would leave many buyers to move on to something else.....myself included.

But I agree, an AWD hybrid *with* 4K tow would be sweet. Maybe next MMC.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew Sport XLT
Engine
Undecided
Yeah, they mentioned that in another video too, but that does make for a pretty big jump in price since they also say "might as well get 4K tow package" too, and now you're looking at a $4K price difference. :oops:

$23,955 (XLT Hybrid w/ tow hitch) vs $27,905 (XLT Ecoboost 4K)
The reason for my decision is to cut fuel costs and monthly payment. Recently retired. Don't need towing capabilities and 1500 max payload for the short bet is more than what I will ever use it for. Have had other FWD only cars before they were good for what I used them for.
Sponsored