First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well ladies and gentlemen we are now a few years into this wonder truck. I have owned quite a few of this in quite a few different forms. Picking up a 2024 hybrid in May (only the 10th or 11th build date gotten).

This review is for those who do not quite know which to get.

First and foremost-MPG's
How much liquid dinosaur to the different setups use? Well if you are strictly in town and don't tow the hybrid is the hands down winner. I can easily average 50 mpgs around town. Highway it is 30-35 depending on how heavy the foot is. I went from Tuscaloosa, AL to Stone Mountain, GA. Filled up in Tuscaloosa. Stayed two days in GA. Filled up this side of Atlanta on the way back because I had finally gotten down to 1/4 of a tank.

The Fx4-I honestly averaged 30-33 on the highway with this vehicle. That was dang impressive. It gave the hybrid a run for its money on the highway. In town it dropped to the mid 20s. Average over 5k miles was 29 MPGs. Where this truck impressed was the go go power, but that is for later in the review. If you tow or have a lot of highway miles, this is the truck for you.(Mine has the 4k package)

The Tremor-Fuel is not its friend. I dont know why its so different. Mid 20s on hwy, high teens in town. Its fast, but still has the 2k limit.

Drivability-This one is simple and straightforward. The hybrid behaves like a large car. The FX4 like a nimble SUV and the Tremor like a truck. The hybrid feels smooth and linear. They FX4 feels slightly more planted, but a little bit more body roll. The Tremor lets you feel like you know all 4 tires are good and planted. It has much more body roll but nothing alarming.

All of this transfers to rain and slick conditions. The hybrid you slow up a little but never feel a true lack of traction. If you hit mud, turn off the traction control otherwise the trucks computer will pull you to a hard stop and not let you go.

The FX4 never feels out of touch. Its good on slick conditions and give you a nice feel of confidence, even in snow and ice.

The Tremor is almost an offroad truck. The computer is dead on putting power where power needs to be put. Great in any sketchy situation.

They are all comfortable on the highway. They all tow well. The hybrid had never left me wanting more power, the 2.0 has had me surprised at the power. If the hybrid is a 'quick' little truck(and it is) then the 2.0 is plain fast. It is hands down faster than some sports cars of the 90s and as fast as most factory trucks today.

Reliability-The only one that has left me stuck has been the hybrid with the first recall of a bad connection. Other than that they have all be rock solid trucks. The 2022 did develop a rattle. The 2023s have not.

Lariat vs XLT-
This comes straight down to preference. After having the Lariat I will not go back to the XLT. The wireless charging is nice. I find my self using AA less and less(would NOT be the case if it were AA Wireless) and relying on the nav system. The voice recognition is horrible. I would rather the AA still today. I have a lifetime Sirius account so that gets used more than not. The best part of the Lariat is the powered rear window. It is nice to be able to push a button and open it. Great air flow when it is open and nice to crack the sunroof and that on a hot day. The XLT seats are more comfortable, but the heated seats and steering wheel are a worthy tradeoff. The lake keeping vs lane centering differences are astounding. The lariat HOLDS that centerline. Stop and go traffic the truck will do the work for you if you can learn to trust it. Its as close to self driving as you can get without self driving. If you dont need or want any of this than the XLT is fine.

Bottom line, I recommend them all. Hopefully this will help some of you trying to decide which is for you.
Sponsored

TR_NC_MAV

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Love it. Thanks for this! Everyone's situation is different and there's pros and cons for every style and trim pkg. Should be picking up my '24 Lariat Hybrid BAP Shadow Black soon (just built last week). I'm sure there's plenty of people that question whether its "worth it" to go for top trim and all the bells and whistles (only thing I left off was the $1,000 sunroof which I really wish was just part of the lariat or lux pkg), but I'm the only one who can answer whether its "worth it" to me... I'm on the road 4-6 hours a day, mostly city driving, some highway, but over 25K/yr... My car is basically my office, so I need certain luxuries and going from 25mpg in a Forester to 40+mpg in the Mav will help me afford those luxuries, lol. On the weekends I'll fill the bed with plants, mulch, 2x4's, Costco toilet paper, Costco paper towels, those $10 Costco fleece blankets that are soooo soft, etc... Only things I'll be towing are a hitch-mount bike rack and a 400lb kayak trailer like twice a year... Oh, and Sirius XM, gotta have that, as you mentioned.

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Love it. Thanks for this! Everyone's situation is different and there's pros and cons for every style and trim pkg. Should be picking up my '24 Lariat Hybrid BAP Shadow Black soon (just built last week). I'm sure there's plenty of people that question whether its "worth it" to go for top trim and all the bells and whistles (only thing I left off was the $1,000 sunroof which I really wish was just part of the lariat or lux pkg), but I'm the only one who can answer whether its "worth it" to me... I'm on the road 4-6 hours a day, mostly city driving, some highway, but over 25K/yr... My car is basically my office, so I need certain luxuries and going from 25mpg in a Forester to 40+mpg in the Mav will help me afford those luxuries, lol. On the weekends I'll fill the bed with plants, mulch, 2x4's, Costco toilet paper, Costco paper towels, those $10 Costco fleece blankets that are soooo soft, etc... Only things I'll be towing are a hitch-mount bike rack and a 400lb kayak trailer like twice a year... Oh, and Sirius XM, gotta have that, as you mentioned.
Yep. all about need vs want vs wallet.
I wanted the Sunroof. I love them. I dont use a lot of A/C during the summer because I am 4 windows down, rear window open and sunroof open. Also during those 100 degree days I can crack my windows and the sunroof and let some of that heat out of the truck.
That Kayak trailer, any links? I need one for my canoe.

TR_NC_MAV

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yep. all about need vs want vs wallet.
I wanted the Sunroof. I love them. I dont use a lot of A/C during the summer because I am 4 windows down, rear window open and sunroof open. Also during those 100 degree days I can crack my windows and the sunroof and let some of that heat out of the truck.
That Kayak trailer, any links? I need one for my canoe.
Malone has a few different models between $1,000 and $2,000. Think mine is Malone Microsport. Light enough that 1 or 2 people can just pick it up and swing it if you’re having any embarrassing back-up issues at the ramp or if you need to roll it around the back of the house where a truck can’t go. Tracks pretty well with not much swaying for such a light trailer.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the best reviews ever posted here - plain, simple and straight to the point without 9,00 charts and tech specs. I have XLT FX4 2.0, XLT Hybrid and now wife and I both have Lariat Hybrids. Who could not enjoy a Maverick? Well, I guess there are some odd folks who would not.

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good read.

My choice of Lariat came down to two things: heated steering wheel and auto-cruise. If those were available on the XLT, I would have gone that route.

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Everyone has their preference and or needs. I won't own another vehicle with vinyl, fake leather, or leather seats. The 2024 XLT luxury package gives some of the nice things mentioned in OP. Unfortunately it also includes the drop in bed liner that's a no deal, or deal breaker similar to vinyl seats in the lariat. I looked at it from a different view, I was able to save my money, also Ford missed out of the extra profit by not letting customers upgrade to spray in bed liner. That's how much I want cloth seats and not going to live with a drop in bed liner

I can live without power seats, heated seats, heated steering wheel, remote starter on FOB, heated mirrors and possibly other options. I wanted the heated mirrors but not worth living with a drop in bed liner.

Now I just like the OP mentioned my dislikes or deal breakers. Besides the tremor package which is a deal breaker because of the hit I would take on mileage and not able to tow 4k. What I'm trying to say just like the OP which I might add an excellent overview and very much appreciated is it boils down to what a buyer wants vs what the manufacturer offers.

Best of luck with your new Maverick with the Lariat trim. How about some pictures. Thanks for the information and sharing your opinion and experiences. On a side note waiting for my order to get here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everyone has their preference and or needs. I won't own another vehicle with vinyl, fake leather, or leather seats. The 2024 XLT luxury package gives some of the nice things mentioned in OP. Unfortunately it also includes the drop in bed liner that's a no deal, or deal breaker similar to vinyl seats in the lariat. I looked at it from a different view, I was able to save my money, also Ford missed out of the extra profit by not letting customers upgrade to spray in bed liner. That's how much I want cloth seats and not going to live with a drop in bed liner

I can live without power seats, heated seats, heated steering wheel, remote starter on FOB, heated mirrors, and wheels/tires.

Now I just like the OP mentioned my dislikes or deal breakers. Besides the tremor package which is a deal breaker because of the hit I would take on mileage and not able to tow 4k. What I'm trying to say just like the OP which I might add an excellent overview and very much appreciated is it boils down to what a buyer wants vs what the manufacturer offers.

Best of luck with your new Maverick with the Lariat trim. How about some pictures. Thanks for the information and sharing your opinion and experiences. On a side note waiting for my order to get here.
My 2024 comes with a spray In bedliner

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I apologize. I misread and thought you ordered lariat. FWIW I prefer Line X anyhow
No problem, regardless I did appreciate your feedback. Thank you and have a great day. If it's any consolation I've done the same or similar in the past, as well.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice review. It was never a choice for me between Hybrid and Ecoboost, as my purpose was to be able to tow it behind a motorhome. The trim choice was easy once I saw the XLT colors and learned that I couldn't get Intelligent Access unless I went with a Lariat.

I was going to endure the tennis shoe interior when I ordered my 2022, but am very glad it was cancelled and I was pushed to a 2023...able to get BAP (and free NAV). Made for an easy choice for my wife's 2024.

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Good read.

My choice of Lariat came down to two things: heated steering wheel and auto-cruise. If those were available on the XLT, I would have gone that route.
When I ordered you could have gotten the heated steering wheel with the luxury package on the XLT. And the cruise with 360. I know that Ford now has changed those choices around a bit. Did you order in 22 or 23?

Last edited:

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well ladies and gentlemen we are now a few years into this wonder truck. I have owned quite a few of this in quite a few different forms. Picking up a 2024 hybrid in May (only the 10th or 11th build date gotten).

This review is for those who do not quite know which to get.

First and foremost-MPG's
How much liquid dinosaur to the different setups use? Well if you are strictly in town and don't tow the hybrid is the hands down winner. I can easily average 50 mpgs around town. Highway it is 30-35 depending on how heavy the foot is. I went from Tuscaloosa, AL to Stone Mountain, GA. Filled up in Tuscaloosa. Stayed two days in GA. Filled up this side of Atlanta on the way back because I had finally gotten down to 1/4 of a tank.

The Fx4-I honestly averaged 30-33 on the highway with this vehicle. That was dang impressive. It gave the hybrid a run for its money on the highway. In town it dropped to the mid 20s. Average over 5k miles was 29 MPGs. Where this truck impressed was the go go power, but that is for later in the review. If you tow or have a lot of highway miles, this is the truck for you.(Mine has the 4k package)

The Tremor-Fuel is not its friend. I dont know why its so different. Mid 20s on hwy, high teens in town. Its fast, but still has the 2k limit.

Drivability-This one is simple and straightforward. The hybrid behaves like a large car. The FX4 like a nimble SUV and the Tremor like a truck. The hybrid feels smooth and linear. They FX4 feels slightly more planted, but a little bit more body roll. The Tremor lets you feel like you know all 4 tires are good and planted. It has much more body roll but nothing alarming.

All of this transfers to rain and slick conditions. The hybrid you slow up a little but never feel a true lack of traction. If you hit mud, turn off the traction control otherwise the trucks computer will pull you to a hard stop and not let you go.

The FX4 never feels out of touch. Its good on slick conditions and give you a nice feel of confidence, even in snow and ice.

The Tremor is almost an offroad truck. The computer is dead on putting power where power needs to be put. Great in any sketchy situation.

They are all comfortable on the highway. They all tow well. The hybrid had never left me wanting more power, the 2.0 has had me surprised at the power. If the hybrid is a 'quick' little truck(and it is) then the 2.0 is plain fast. It is hands down faster than some sports cars of the 90s and as fast as most factory trucks today.

Reliability-The only one that has left me stuck has been the hybrid with the first recall of a bad connection. Other than that they have all be rock solid trucks. The 2022 did develop a rattle. The 2023s have not.

Lariat vs XLT-
This comes straight down to preference. After having the Lariat I will not go back to the XLT. The wireless charging is nice. I find my self using AA less and less(would NOT be the case if it were AA Wireless) and relying on the nav system. The voice recognition is horrible. I would rather the AA still today. I have a lifetime Sirius account so that gets used more than not. The best part of the Lariat is the powered rear window. It is nice to be able to push a button and open it. Great air flow when it is open and nice to crack the sunroof and that on a hot day. The XLT seats are more comfortable, but the heated seats and steering wheel are a worthy tradeoff. The lake keeping vs lane centering differences are astounding. The lariat HOLDS that centerline. Stop and go traffic the truck will do the work for you if you can learn to trust it. Its as close to self driving as you can get without self driving. If you dont need or want any of this than the XLT is fine.

Bottom line, I recommend them all. Hopefully this will help some of you trying to decide which is for you.
Great review, thank you. I didn’t read all the comments so someone might have already said this one small correction: XLT lux package did include heated seats and steering wheel, at least in 2023. Not sure about other years.
Sponsored