First Name
Khoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jaguar XJ8, 2021 Honda Insight EX, 2023 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just when I though I finally got 1 problem fixed, Deep Sleep has decided to come back again.

This morning, I decided to drive the Mav to the gym and as soon as I unlock it, the lights doesn't stay on as it should be. Went and turned the ignition to ACC and the volt meter reads 11.5V (weather was around 55°).

Thinking about it, maybe I have a parasitic draw somewhere? When I went to hook up ForScan in my laptop, I have a code in the BodyBCM, B1445:11, which indicates I have a Circuit Short in the rear park lamp. Weird thing is, I don't really see anything off with the taillights, as they function normally, so that really confuse me.
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

At least we are seeing similar things.
It's not you/yours.
It's not me/mine.
It's Ford BMS or bad battery quality.
I don't think a $200 item warrants a class-action lawsuit. But maybe we can flood them with unhappy emails or something?

I parked 9 days after a long drive.
Returned to no dome lights, 11.8 volts, and OBDII reported 43% charged.

The only ONE TIME I got a 99% charge in 15 months of ownership was after I drove five consecutive 10 hour trips.

With twice daily 45 minute trips I'm continuously in the 50% to 60% zone.

Like others, only see 1 amp being fed to the 12v battery. I've shown 1 amp for 50 hours works.

But there's not 50 hours in a day.
So we need 2 amps for 25 hours.
Or 4 amps for 12.5 hours.

Tom201326

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Khoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jaguar XJ8, 2021 Honda Insight EX, 2023 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At least we are seeing similar things.
It's not you/yours.
It's not me/mine.
It's Ford BMS or bad battery quality.
I don't think a $200 item warrants a class-action lawsuit. But maybe we can flood them with unhappy emails or something?

I parked 9 days after a long drive.
Returned to no dome lights, 11.8 volts, and OBDII reported 43% charged.

The only ONE TIME I got a 99% charge in 15 months of ownership was after I drove five consecutive 10 hour trips.

With twice daily 45 minute trips I'm continuously in the 50% to 60% zone.

Like others, only see 1 amp being fed to the 12v battery. I've shown 1 amp for 50 hours works.

But there's not 50 hours in a day.
So we need 2 amps for 25 hours.
Or 4 amps for 12.5 hours.
For me, after I took out the Mav for a drive to the gym (4 miles from my home), the SoC sits at 67%. Yesterday, when I took the Mav to a different dealer for the recent recall (9 miles from my home), the SoC sits at 79%.

Perhaps Ford needs to have a look into how the computer direct charges to the battery; short trip doesn't charge the battery by a lot compare to longer trip.

Last edited:

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Aforementioned plot, data recorded on 12/01/23 with Motorcraft FLA battery installed. Started charging at 6 amps, tapered off around halfway in. Started from 45%, finished at 48%. Gained 3% charge. First hit 0 charge amps ~14.5 minutes in.

1704166202257.png

w/AGM battery, data collected on 12/25/23 with Diehard H4 AGM battery installed. Trip as roughly 3X as long. Started charging at 9 amps, tapered off maybe 2/3 of the way in? Starting from 63%, finished at 76% Gained 13%. First hit 0 charge amps ~51.4 minutes in.

1704167656882.png

Same observed behavior, both taper off, but for whatever reason the AGM took longer, and started with a higher initial charge amperage. Despite the FLA battery starting with a lower SOC.

I don't know why/how it decides when to quit charging. I would have thought it was as simple as, "If below target (80%), charge. And give more amps the further below target" Not the case.

This was all highway driving btw, no stopping etc.

Very good info. I have done a trickle charge on mine 2x now with letting it sit for 8+hours after to let BMS learn new charge and so far it's been good.

Its a combination of poor battery quality and a not so smart BMS system.

Sponsored

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There has been some mention posted on here about 12 volt( low voltage system) battery drain and " deep sleep" messages from Ford Pass in Mavericks, today Ford released on the Professional Technician System accessible by Ford technicians this special service message, this may be something to have your dealer check if you are experiencing the problem of no start or dead/low battery. It does not specify that the mega fuse is being " blown" or popped, from my experience as a technician with some of the other models I have seen this mega fuse actually develop a crack ( typically caused by road shock/vibration)which can intermittently allow the loss of electrical charge to the battery, I've had them where they test good with an ohm/continuity meter laying on a bench but then with a little pressure applied to each end will test open. Ford does listen and research complaints/concerns with their vehicles and typically will give us( technicians) a heads up once they find a repetitive cause. Here is the service message, hope it helps some of you!

May 4 2023 New SSM 51598 2020-2023 Escape/Corsair, 2022-2023 Maverick – FHEV/PHEV - 12V Battery Voltage Low Or Discharged With DTC U3003:62 Stored In The DC/DC
Some 2020-2023 Escape/Corsair equipped with 2.5L engine full hybrid electric vehicle (FHEV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) powertrain and 2022-2023 Maverick vehicles equipped with 2.5L engine FHEV powertrain may exhibit a condition where the 12V battery voltage is low or discharged with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) U3003:62 stored in the direct current/direct current converter control module (DC/DC). The vehicle may also exhibit DTC U3003:16 and/or U3000:04 stored in the DC/DC module. This may be due to an open in the 300 amp mega fuse located in the high current battery junction box (BJB). To correct this condition, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-05>Pinpoint Test H1 to verify the 300amp mega fuse condition, replace the fuse upon confirmation it is open. Test and recharge the 12v battery.
This was posted by a Ford Technician back on May 4th. Ford technicians at the dealerships should be aware of a possible cause of the battery drain. If they don't know, I would recommend that the Mav owner get a copy of this notice in their hands.

stretch119

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can anybody confirm whether it is actually necessary to use Forscan to reprogram the battery specs when installing a bigger AGM battery?

For those who haven’t read all my posts, I’ve been plagued by deep sleep/dead battery issues. Ford hasn’t been able to diagnose it, but they did try replacing my Body Control Module after my maverick spent over a month at the dealer. I went a couple months with no issues after that, but I just received a deep sleep warning today.

I’m going to proactively install an H5 size AGM so that I don’t have to go out to a dead truck in the next week or so.

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This was posted by a Ford Technician back on May 4th. Ford technicians at the dealerships should be aware of a possible cause of the battery drain. If they don't know, I would recommend that the Mav owner get a copy of this notice in their hands.
I think I know what post you are referencing. Unfortunately, that fix might work for some, but not most. There have been numerous posts with dealers "fixing" it only for issue to come back shortly after.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Got deep sleep notification this morning. Replaced original battery with Die hard 2 days ago. Battery at 11.67v. No interior lights or truck bin lights when I clicked to unlock. Really pissed off. This is a holiday weekend. I may go to the dealer today but I know they will tell me I will need to leave it and "maybe" they will get a chance to look at it today (Closed sunday and monday due to the holiday). Then, no truck over the weekend. So, I may just keep charging it till Tuesday for my own convience. I am totally pissed off. Ford lets me down after 35 years of Toyota bliss. Same issues as before. All electrical, with no way of pinpointing the root of the problem and all dealers "not seeing the problem". $29,000 brick.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No Deep Sleep messages for me since replacing my 12v with a Duralast Gold and resetting BMS on August 1, 2023.

I use the Ford Pass app for remote start often. I did have the emmissions recall done around November, not sure if they updated anything in the software for this or not.

Sponsored

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got deep sleep notification this morning. Replaced original battery with Die hard 2 days ago. Battery at 11.67v. No interior lights or truck bin lights when I clicked to unlock. Really pissed off. This is a holiday weekend. I may go to the dealer today but I know they will tell me I will need to leave it and "maybe" they will get a chance to look at it today (Closed sunday and monday due to the holiday). Then, no truck over the weekend. So, I may just keep charging it till Tuesday for my own convience. I am totally pissed off. Ford lets me down after 35 years of Toyota bliss. Same issues as before. All electrical, with no way of pinpointing the root of the problem and all dealers "not seeing the problem". $29,000 brick.
Did you reset the BMS?

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...A&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nope, I didn't set the BMS. But I would like the dealer to check out my converter control module cable and fuses. The cable is falty because I tried to hook up my charger to it and the charger wouldn't work. Hooked it up to my battery and it did.
After they fix this, I will address the BMS.

Chada

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Aleksandar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Model year 2022 and 2023 Hybrid owners have you had any issues with deep sleep/ dead battery or even messages in Ford Pass indicating an issue? Vote yes or no according to your model year.

I would just like to get a feel from the MTC community on how big an issue this really is.
2023 hybrid, twice already, had to boost both times.
went to the dealership and they did software update and recall on the turning signal….since than, so far, so good…

stretch119

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope, I didn't set the BMS. But I would like the dealer to check out my converter control module cable and fuses. The cable is falty because I tried to hook up my charger to it and the charger wouldn't work. Hooked it up to my battery and it did.
After they fix this, I will address the BMS.
If your maverick meets your state’s criteria for a lemon then I strongly suggest you file a lemon claim. You can start by calling Ford customer service and telling them you’d like to submit a lemon claim. They’ll likely deny your claim (it seems like that’s their first line of defense), but don’t get discouraged. You can keep resubmitting your claim every time the problem comes back.

If you meet the lemon criteria and Ford is giving you trouble with your claim, you can also contact the BBB Auto Line. BBB does arbitration for Ford lemon cases and they can submit a claim on your behalf.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If I get any push back. I will. I will show them the documented reasons for this issue.
Sponsored