First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got it off the printer a few minutes ago. Most of the supports came out clean, except for a few spots due to the bottom having a bevel. And for some reason, Cura keeps putting supports in the pen cavities. Dunno what's up with that. I can't remove them (yet) because I don't have long enough needlenose pliers.

Feels like 80% infill is a lot too solid.. Might to with 40% or so next time.

Bottom pic shows where the point of failure was. Part of the structure wasn't tying in very well, and I got concerned it could stress and break. Although now that I'm holding it in my hand, I really don't think that's likely over the short term.

For the blank itself, the FORD letters somehow needed their own support, and did *not* come off clean. If I put these up on Etsy, I'm going to replace them with an inlaid logo instead of an embossed one.
FWIW I rarely print above 20% infill during protoyping and even after that, I rarely print more than 40% for the final product.

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs 1644938506456

I'd move that over a tad, drop the FITS connector down, extend the support bar over as much of the face of the connector as I could, and add in a few mm between the model body and the connector.
Sponsored

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah... dunno what I was thinking going for 80% infill. Maybe I was concerned about it crushing when I took out the supports?

The initial plan was to have the FORD letters clearly visible, but in retrospect... yeah. Probably better to move the connector down and give it a hair more space.

OP
OP
Kl0ck

Kl0ck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah... dunno what I was thinking going for 80% infill. Maybe I was concerned about it crushing when I took out the supports?

The initial plan was to have the FORD letters clearly visible, but in retrospect... yeah. Probably better to move the connector down and give it a hair more space.
Agree - once you have pens and a notebook in there you won't see it anyway. Better to use the space then have a dinky little Ford lettering :)

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Infill is mostly there to provide scaffolding for top layers. If you have good cooling for bridging capability you can get away with some very sparse infill (or even none at all). If you need structural strength adding more walls and top/bottom layers is typically more beneficial than increasing infill percentage.

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Flashlight mount plate is just the thing! Now…walk me through how to use the file slowly lol. I can access a 3D printer at the Library but have never used one.
Thanks for the design!

Sponsored

HybridNiroGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone found a FITS ipad/tablet holder for the second row?

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just thinking out a concept for a belt snap for the fits so a strap could be used to hold down the back seat upright so it could stay flat to transport things on it.

Used your plug as the base and another snap from Thingiverse.
It is crude but hope the idea comes across.

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs 1644975429078

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs 1644975502834

OP
OP
Kl0ck

Kl0ck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just thinking out a concept for a belt snap for the fits so a strap could be used to hold down the back seat upright so it could stay flat to transport things on it.

Used your plug as the base and another snap from Thingiverse.
It is crude but hope the idea comes across.

1644975429078.png

1644975502834.png
Nope I get it - smart 💡

OP
OP
Kl0ck

Kl0ck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Flashlight mount plate is just the thing! Now…walk me through how to use the file slowly lol. I can access a 3D printer at the Library but have never used one.
Thanks for the design!
Read this

Watch this

It is very simple to do.

Reactions: TCK
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 RAV4, 2017 Ultra Classic, 2019 Thor
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Haven't printed anything yet (Waiting on my Maverick) but your designs look great. Keep up the good work, and thank you for putting them out on Thingiverse! Oh, and can you design an AR holder that goes into the FITS behind the seat, or one that goes in the cubby? (Just Kidding...LoL)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kl0ck

Kl0ck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Haven't printed anything yet (Waiting on my Maverick) but your designs look great. Keep up the good work, and thank you for putting them out on Thingiverse! Oh, and can you design an AR holder that goes into the FITS behind the seat, or one that goes in the cubby? (Just Kidding...LoL)
Thanks man - I am in the process of redesigning the whole cubby system to be modular and much more "professional" in how its functions (no velcro tape) so stay tuned :)

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, after 2 days of fidgeting withe the printer at work, they think they figured out how to use PETG. Unfortunately it involves slowing the printer down, so my cubby prototype will take 24 hours to print.

But at least it's started!

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs PXL_20220216_220236757

OP
OP
Kl0ck

Kl0ck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, after 2 days of fidgeting withe the printer at work, they think they figured out how to use PETG. Unfortunately it involves slowing the printer down, so my cubby prototype will take 24 hours to print.

But at least it's started!

PXL_20220216_220236757.jpg
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast with PETG :)

OP
OP
Kl0ck

Kl0ck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Added some new designs (thingiverse updated)

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs 1645235728390

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs 1645235745743

Use any of the phone / tablet / switch mounts. It sits right about eye level with a kid in a booster seat. I left enough play in the crossbar that you can remove it with slight flex against the hooks so you can use the hooks for bags or whatever else you want.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got my prototype today. Its a bit loose to the left and a lot on top, which is the bigger problem. But depth seems good and the bottom tab lines up so I think the next one will be bang on.

Got some pictures. Please keep in mind that a) this is a prototype, b) this is the first PETG thing our printer has made, and c) we got a new print head specifically to address some of the finish issues you'll see.

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs wtqvCa3

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs eq0HICV

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs iinpdKE

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs nQkzoQu

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs X5Yiq7a

Ford Maverick Cubby FITS Slot + Some other 3D print designs 8Q0mlXq
Sponsored