Chevy joining the competition?

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Chevy just dropped the price on the Bolt and with incentives you can now buy an all electric car with 250 miles of range for about $28,000. Given what Ford did with the price on the base F150 Lightning, I'd say you are right on with $30,000 for some kind of electrified Maverick.
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
If I can get an electrified Maverick for that price I'm in.
I think in the future we could have a 30-35k Maverick EV, remember ford is working on a small platform with VW. That could be used on the Mach E.

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
I looked up this Chevy Cheyenne. Good God, it's ugly. They took the front end right from the HHR. There's definitely room in the market for a BEV trucklet. But it won't take a very large market share. People want hauling power and range. Even if you live in a city and an electric vehicle is fine for you most of the time, you're looking at a truck for the few times a year that you need to go get furniture or go on vacation or go camping. You want hauling power AND range (fast refueling). If not, just get a Prius and call it a day.

Sponsored

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
I think GM does not have HEV, I think they had PHEV(Volt), but now they only make ICE and BEV(Bolt and some SUV). As it does not have any Hybrid powertrain I am not sure how it can compete with Maverick Hybrid starting at $20K

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Chevy just dropped the price on the Bolt and with incentives you can now buy an all electric car with 250 miles of range for about $28,000. Given what Ford did with the price on the base F150 Lightning, I'd say you are right on with $30,000 for some kind of electrified Maverick.
yup, I bought my 2019 Bolt EV for $24k in March 2019, got the $7500 federal rebate, and chevy bought it back for $28k earlier this year because of the battery recall

Reactions: Doc

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They mention the in bed storage trunk as a feature. Owned a 2017 Ridgeline with this feature, handy sometimes, but not as practical as first thought it would be. Good if you can put what you need in the space, but not good if you are carrying a load on the bed. Found many times I couldn't get to the 'Trunk' because of the loaded bed (this is also where the spare tire is located). Have not had any experience with the Dodge 'Side Panel' storage option, but think it makes more sense practically speaking. Just glad the Maverick has a standard bed, glad to trade the 'trunk' for a lower bed height.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
They mention the in bed storage trunk as a feature. Owned a 2017 Ridgeline with this feature, handy sometimes, but not as practical as first thought it would be. Good if you can put what you need in the space, but not good if you are carrying a load on the bed. Found many times I couldn't get to the 'Trunk' because of the loaded bed (this is also where the spare tire is located). Have not had any experience with the Dodge 'Side Panel' storage option, but think it makes more sense practically speaking. Just glad the Maverick has a standard bed, glad to trade the 'trunk' for a lower bed height.
Yup, I'm much happier with the option for a full size spare tire under the bed, low bedside and bed height and a bed with functionality features built in over a trunk that could get trapped under a heavy load above it and requires a deep reach over the downed tailgate.

Ramboxes are ok but the bed gets pretty narrow on the full size trucks to accomodate. I imagine the bed would be tiny on a Maverick sized truck with ram boxes.

charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150
With Chevy/GM's history of killing off the hybrid/electric vehicles they develop, I don't think they'll be much competition.

Sponsored

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1
1903 Ford Motor Company years later GM/Chevy. Ford V8 1932 years later Chevy V8 1955
Ranchero years later El Camino.
Mustang years later Camaro. Bronco years later Blazer Gt40 years later C8 corvette.
Maverick truck years later Cheyenne F150 electric Lightning years later ———-
New Bronco years later ———- WTF?
Chevy original ideas. Corvair copied from VW, Vega aluminum block that lasted 20,000 miles

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reactions: Doc

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
1903 Ford Motor Company years later GM/Chevy. Ford V8 1932 years later Chevy V8 1955
Ranchero years later El Camino.
Mustang years later Camaro. Bronco years later Blazer Gt40 years later C8 corvette.
Maverick truck years later Cheyenne F150 electric Lightning years later ———-
New Bronco years later ———- WTF?
Chevy original ideas. Corvair copied from VW, Vega aluminum block that lasted 20,000 miles
Chevrolet V8 was in 1917-18
Corvette in 1953, Thunderbird in 1955, both 2 seaters
Corvair, not VW copy, in fact not even a 4 cylinder

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1
Chevrolet V8 was in 1917-18
Corvette in 1953, Thunderbird in 1955, both 2 seaters
Corvair, not VW copy, in fact not even a 4 cylinder
1917 1918 was not mass produced and was unsuccessful, why do you think they made it for two years. A corvair was GM answer to VW. Look it up both were boxer motors IRS etc. beetle, bus, and pickup variants. 53 corvettes were a joke 6 cylinder it was 55 before their V8 came out The thunderbird could be ordered with a supercharger that blew away the corvettes then the cobras came out and completely smoked them.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
1917 1918 was not mass produced and was unsuccessful, why do you think they made it for two years. A corvair was GM answer to VW. Look it up both were boxer motors IRS etc. beetle, bus, and pickup variants. 53 corvettes were a joke 6 cylinder it was 55 before their V8 came out The thunderbird could be ordered with a supercharger that blew away the corvettes then the cobras came out and completely smoked them.
The vehicle while not a sales success due to it's expensive to produce V8 engine, expensive woodwork and nickle plated bright work, it was mass produced at the Flint, Michigan assembly plant. I've seen one in person and it was certainly fighting above it's weight class although too expensive for the segment which is why it wasn't built long. I believe approximately 4000 were built.

The Corvair was GM's initial participant in the compact economy class in the late 50's, over 20 years after VW's beetle was released. All of GM. Ford and Mopar were releasing them. There were plenty of boxer motors built, if you ever tear down a Corvair and VW beetle engine, you'll see no real similarities other than air/fan cooling which VW had no patent on. IRS is typical of rear engine vehicles, it's kinda hard to strap a solid axle under there.

The Chevy Blue Flame Six used in the early Corvette was modified w/ stronger cam, higher compression and triple side draft carbs. The longevity of this engine was well known.

Corvette was a production vehicle, initially built in Flint, MI and then moved to Bowling Green, KY. The Cobra, powered by Ford wasn't actually a Ford and if I'm not mistaken was not a production vehicle. It was a custom site built car by Carrol Shelby in California and AC cars in England, comprised of a English sports car body, custom chassis and powered by a Ford Engine.

I'm not brand loyal although like accurate info, most manufacturers built some neat cars through the years and some not so neat. Pick your poison, Ford GM or whatever.
Sponsored

Last edited: