Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I know ,stupid question 😞but I would rather be stupid than spend money on something that want do what i think it will.hey,maybe they could over ride one of the stock modes you never use and put a performance one in its place.
Sponsored

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know ,stupid question 😞but I would rather be stupid than spend money on something that want do what i think it will.hey,maybe they could over ride one of the stock modes you never use and put a performance one in its place.
I thought I read some driving modes can be added using a forscan device which were dropped when certain options/packages were added. I'd like to add sport mode to my xlt, 4k, FX4 mav cause I believe I read the FX4 loses the sport mode.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn’t it the case that mechanics sometimes have to retrain vehicle computers to shift properly? I remember watching a video of a guy doing this on a truly disgusting (nasty/smelly) minivan that wouldn’t downshift when the driver wanted to accelerate.

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes even the “modes” do change shift patterns like using tow-haul mode

Dueces

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD Maverick XL, 2004 Insight Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most tuners now-a-days tune the trans as well as the engine. Some will even do trans only tunes.

Sponsored

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most tuners now-a-days tune the trans as well as the engine. Some will even do trans only tunes.
I've got a 2017 Camry SE and the shift patterns are so bad that I've manually shifted the car since new. The engine totally bogs down because the computer upshifts the trans way to early and at too slow a speed during acceleration. I've driven about 5 different vehicles over the last several years which all do the same thing in what I believe is an attempt to increase the mpg; however, I'm willing to accept 1-2 mpg less in order to protect my TC and trans from an early death. And not having to shift an automatic trans would be a welcome change! Is it fairly easy to use a "tuner" to change my Camry's shift patterns so that the engine wouldn't bog down while at the same time, not having the trans hold the gears too long that the mpg tank?

Thanks for any input.

MADPolo

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick XLT
They definitely can. All the tuners for the Ranger had changes made for the shift points, etc.

Turbo Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AWD EB FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, absolutely. The transmission basically has its own separate tune. There's a rather complex table of output shaft speed versus throttle position for each of the driving modes. The delta of upshift versus downshift speed changes how easily it "wants" to shift, the points as a whole decide when it shifts overall, and the shape of each gear's shifting curve will affect the response of low vs high throttle input. There is a separate table for wide open throttle, separate tables for torque converter lockup, and additional tables for pressures of clutch fill, clutch release, gear to gear timing, torque management, which all have effect on shifting timing and feel. I have attached a 6R shift table just so you can see. They would obviously be 8 shift columns on the Maverick but I have not read one of those out yet.
Ford Maverick Can tuners tune transmission shifts along with tuning the engine Screenshot_20220403-090828__01

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the case of my F150 with a Livernois tune, in "Normal" drive mode is when custom tune parameters were applied to the 10AT. The OEM drive modes outside of normal (Sport, Tow/Haul, etc..), retained OEM data points, even tho the engine maintained the custom tune.

I'm sure you could create powertrain tunes in any flavor, but the above scenario seems to be the standard starting point.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, absolutely. The transmission basically has its own separate tune. There's a rather complex table of output shaft speed versus throttle position for each of the driving modes. The delta of upshift versus downshift speed changes how easily it "wants" to shift, the points as a whole decide when it shifts overall, and the shape of each gear's shifting curve will affect the response of low vs high throttle input. There is a separate table for wide open throttle, separate tables for torque converter lockup, and additional tables for pressures of clutch fill, clutch release, gear to gear timing, torque management, which all have effect on shifting timing and feel. I have attached a 6R shift table just so you can see. They would obviously be 8 shift columns on the Maverick but I have not read one of those out yet.
Screenshot_20220403-090828__01.jpg
Holly crap...so many options, I think with my Camry, I would be content with the "factory" shift points that come from their "sport mode". They offered that on many vehicles, but my car is a low end model with no driving modes selector button. And I think the maverick I ordered does not come with sport mode since I ordered the FX4 package. So I might be forced to flash a tune code to enable sport mode shift points because I can't even contemplate trying to manually shift a Maverick with a freaking "dial" gear selector!!

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Holly crap...so many options, I think with my Camry, I would be content with the "factory" shift points that come from their "sport mode". They offered that on many vehicles, but my car is a low end model with no driving modes selector button. And I think the maverick I ordered does not come with sport mode since I ordered the FX4 package. So I might be forced to flash a tune code to enable sport mode shift points because I can't even contemplate trying to manually shift a Maverick with a freaking "dial" gear selector!!
That is my main gripe with the Mav for use as a truck.....it should have select-shift like all the other Ford truck models. It's really handy when towing or operating with max'd GVWR. Currently, there is no way to manually select or hold gears with the Mav 8AT. That's a big miss on Ford's part, IMO.
Sponsored