Sponsored

C/D article & render of possible Toyota Corolla based pickup truck to compete with Maverick

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's not a truck. A notchback SUV with an open trunk.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I ordered a Corolla Cross FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ONLY at the same time that I ordered my Maverick. That was over 10 months ago. The salesman told me that Toyota does not supply Front Wheel Drive vehicles to the northern part of the US. AWD only. O do not need the extra cost, weight and mechanical parts of AWD. I have that on my 2017 RAV4 and it is a waste.
If they can't supply a Corolla Cross, how do you think they will do with a Corolla truck? Dream on. I'm too old to wait.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Here's your Stout everyone keeps talking about. :LOL::ROFLMAO:😅😂 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We all know Toyota and other manufacturers are going to enter the compact truck market. But I'm surprised its taking Toyota so long to get it into production. A 2027 version may hit the dealers later in 2026 - geez, that's almost 3 years from now!

I just looked at what 2023 Corolla Crsss Hybrid MSRPs are. I'd imagine $3~5K more for a pickup version, and the probable MSRP increases over the next few years...I'm just glad I was able to get my Mav in 2023! Seems it will be pricier than a Maverick, but we don't know what a 2027 Maverick will cost either.

Here's MSRP info for the 2023 Corolla Cross Hybrid:
https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/corolla-cross-hybrid/

PS I previously owned a 2009 Rav4 V6 that was reliable. But from my research over the last few years Toyota's quality and reliability has slipped a bit. Example, some newer Rav4 AWD Hybrids are experiencing rear motor wiring corrosion issues , which Toyota has been slow to fix/cover under their warranty. Plus recent year Rav4 Hybrids had an issue with not being able to fill the gas tanks completely (I think now warrantied by replacing the gas tank).

Vehicles have just gotten so complex it seems all manufacturers struggle to initially build a high quality vehicle, with recalls becoming the norm. R&D timeline is reduced to get the vehicle to market. My view of most manufacturers: "we'll rush it into production and use customers for final R&D issue discovery, and then fix it if enough owners complain."

Last edited:

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really like the looks of my Mav, and all Ford trucks for that matter, and there are very few Toyotas that look good to me so I'm mildly surprised that this rendering looks as good as it does. "Rendering" is the keyword though because, for better or worse, it's only a Photoshop splashup from C/D's daydream department and has nothing to do with anything Toyota might actually build. The Corolla is a nice car in its segment though and there isn't any reason a small truck based on that car couldn't be a winner.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's one unattractive looking vehicle..... They should make a little truck based off the new Prius. As long as Ford continues to make the Maverick look like a mini f-150 or Ranger they will stay way ahead of the competition.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Rumors suggest that a new entry-level Toyota truck could arrive in 2027"

That's a lot of hedging for just one sentence.

That being said, I'm sure every manufacturer is looking at the category, based on the success of the Maverick. They'd be pretty dumb not to.

Last edited:

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would love to see this, however I think Corolla based might be smaller than I would hope. To me, it would need to meet the Mavericks size espcially interior wise and I wonder if they would be worried it would take sales from Tacoma, possibly making it smaller than Maverick. I hope that is wrong as I would be very interested in a MPG focused Toyota truck more than the Maverick

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the Cross Hybrid along with our Maverick Hybrid and so far love them both!
What kind of MPG are you getting in the Cross? It's the 2.0?

"Rumors suggest that a new entry-level Toyota truck could arrive in 2027"

That's a lot of hedging for just one sentence.

That being said, I'm sure every manufacturer is looking at the category, based on the success of the Maverick. They'd be pretty dumb not to.
Yeah, seems like they would need to do it a lot sooner than 2027. I am hoping they do something based on the next RAV4 which should be 2025 I belive.

New Maverick is suppose to be 2027 or 2028?