First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ordered my can a few days ago. After reading through the thread, I'm excited to get my can and install it.

Quick question though, with this being a completely enclosed system, what is the expected lifespan until the can will need to be replaced? Or is this one of those, "it will last longer than the truck itself" type deals? Just curious.

Most of the other cans on the market let you unscrew the bottom portion and rag clean/wash as needed.

Also a special shoutout to Buschur. Had to call in because I wasn't sure if my order went through or not and spoke with David on the phone. Super nice guy and always glad to support US made products and small businesses.
Thanks for the order. The can will never wear out or need replaced. The entire can is made of 6061 aluminum, has the same material for the internal baffle and then the packing inside is 304 stainless steel. There is really no reason to "clean" it, all it needs is drained. In the case you did want to clean it out, any simple degreaser could be put in the can, sloshed around and dumped out.

Thanks again.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

felsf50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed an oil catch can and after 1000 miles, it was empty?

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How much you get will depend on a ton of factors. Really 1000 miles isn’t that many. I’d say less then a shot glass pet 5000 seems about right

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed an oil catch can and after 1000 miles, it was empty?
Not having anything in it is a good thing but unusual, this is a pic of what came out of someone else's after a few thousand miles.

Ford Maverick Buschur's Maverick 2.0 oil separators DONE! 270191188_10223179860698272_4518581221544273120_n

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe someone can answer my question. I get that these filter out oil into the turbo but if it is already is coated, how does the existing buildup get removed assuming you put the can in and no more oil is getting into the turbo? Does it burn itself up over time or do you need to add some sort of additive to break it down / flush it loose?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe someone can answer my question. I get that these filter out oil into the turbo but if it is already is coated, how does the existing buildup get removed assuming you put the can in and no more oil is getting into the turbo? Does it burn itself up over time or do you need to add some sort of additive to break it down / flush it loose?
It's a good legit questions. These trucks right now are brand new, that's the best time to add it, before there is a lot of build up. Adding it after there is oil will only help it not build up further. The intercoolers can be cleaned but they need removed and washed out, that's a PITA on these trucks.

Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's a good legit questions. These trucks right now are brand new, that's the best time to add it, before there is a lot of build up. Adding it after there is oil will only help it not build up further. The intercoolers can be cleaned but they need removed and washed out, that's a PITA on these trucks.
Alright so the best course of action if one plans to keep the truck long term besides adding the catch can is to some point in the maintance work add in having the intercooler removed and cleaned or replaced say like at 50k or 100k ?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alright so the best course of action if one plans to keep the truck long term besides adding the catch can is to some point in the maintance work add in having the intercooler removed and cleaned or replaced say like at 50k or 100k ?
A catch can as soon as possible is best. As for removing to clean it, if you drive the truck without a catch can for 50,000 miles I'd say you don't care about performance at all and just leave it alone.

If you want to modify the truck for more power for towing or to play, then replacing the piece of crap stock intercooler is best.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A catch can as soon as possible is best. As for removing to clean it, if you drive the truck without a catch can for 50,000 miles I'd say you don't care about performance at all and just leave it alone.

If you want to modify the truck for more power for towing or to play, then replacing the piece of crap stock intercooler is best.
I probably will do that at some point since I already have the 4k tow package and if I can squeeze more capacity that way it makes sense for me to do so. I run a 6 x 14 trailer 3500 LB single axle and if I can increase that load limit in a it will save money if hauling enough materials because it cuts down the trips and in turn gas used. if it only increases the MPG with a loaded trailer depending how much it does determines for me anyways is the upgrade worth it vs the time it takes to pay itself off.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I probably will do that at some point since I already have the 4k tow package and if I can squeeze more capacity that way it makes sense for me to do so. I run a 6 x 14 trailer 3500 LB single axle and if I can increase that load limit in a it will save money if hauling enough materials because it cuts down the trips and in turn gas used. if it only increases the MPG with a loaded trailer depending how much it does determines for me anyways is the upgrade worth it vs the time it takes to pay itself off.
An intercooler upgrade typically is not going to increase or decrease MPG's, HOWEVER, if the engine is under load, like towing, and the truck detonates because of high intake air temps, the algorithms in the computer tell the truck to do all sorts of things, like add fuel, pull timing, close the throttle etc., In situations where it is adding fuel to counter detonation the fuel milage is hurt. This is one reason you will find trucks towing loads get better fuel milage on 93 octane than they do 87.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
An intercooler upgrade typically is not going to increase or decrease MPG's, HOWEVER, if the engine is under load, like towing, and the truck detonates because of high intake air temps, the algorithms in the computer tell the truck to do all sorts of things, like add fuel, pull timing, close the throttle etc., In situations where it is adding fuel to counter detonation the fuel milage is hurt. This is one reason you will find trucks towing loads get better fuel milage on 93 octane than they do 87.
Didn't know that about trailers. I'll have to do some fuel usage calculations then and see if it costs less to run the trailer under load i.e. cost of the tank of gas of 93 vs MPG difference between 87 and 93 for typical driving I do. For the average truck user I don't think this is an issue but when running it for work purposes if there is a big enough cost savings that is an operational cost decrease that can be passed back to the customer when estimating a job to keep ahead of the competition.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.