First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's a good legit questions. These trucks right now are brand new, that's the best time to add it, before there is a lot of build up. Adding it after there is oil will only help it not build up further. The intercoolers can be cleaned but they need removed and washed out, that's a PITA on these trucks.
Can you describe the type of filter you use in the catch can? I've done a lot of looking at what's out there and it seems the biggest difference between most kits is the type of filter used in the can. I've seen some with no filter, some with a steel mesh, others with a "bronze" flat filter or "bronze" cone filter. The pricier ones and those that seem to have better reviews, have those bronze filters.

You've got the easy drain plug there which is very nice.

It would be great if Ford didn't make it necessary to cut the oem hose off the fittings but c'est la vie...

Thanks and great work! I'll be building a cart when my Mav comes in, one day!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Didn't know that about trailers. I'll have to do some fuel usage calculations then and see if it costs less to run the trailer under load i.e. cost of the tank of gas of 93 vs MPG difference between 87 and 93 for typical driving I do. For the average truck user I don't think this is an issue but when running it for work purposes if there is a big enough cost savings that is an operational cost decrease that can be passed back to the customer when estimating a job to keep ahead of the competition.
I tow a lot, my other truck is a 2020 F150 3.5EB. 12,000 pounds isn't unheard of for me to tow, about 165 miles one way when I do, my tractor/back hoe/loader. I'll see 3 mpg difference from 87 to 93 towing that. 35 gallon tank, that's 99 miles more per tank at 12 mpg vs 9 mpg. Doesn't take long to make up the difference.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can you describe the type of filter you use in the catch can? I've done a lot of looking at what's out there and it seems the biggest difference between most kits is the type of filter used in the can. I've seen some with no filter, some with a steel mesh, others with a "bronze" flat filter or "bronze" cone filter. The pricier ones and those that seem to have better reviews, have those bronze filters.

You've got the easy drain plug there which is very nice.

It would be great if Ford didn't make it necessary to cut the oem hose off the fittings but c'est la vie...

Thanks and great work! I'll be building a cart when my Mav comes in, one day!
The filter is there only to catch more oil from the vapor, that's the purpose. If you just have an open can it's hard for the oil in the vapor to cling to something to help separate it. Our can uses a stainless steel-steel wool in it.

Midnighthog

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Maverick XLT, 4k, lux, fx4
@Buschur
Sometimes I wish that I understood vehicles and engines more but, all I wanted to do growing up was play with guns. :) I've never changed my own oil before so that would be a new experience.

I did put a lift kit on my Honda Element with the subframe kit which sucked beyond words, plus I had a death wobble I couldn't get rid of and busted a CV. Sold the Honda and bought a 2020 ford escape that I'm trading off for a XLT Mav when it finally comes in. I'm afraid to even try to lift it after the death wobble experience with my last lift.

I would like to learn how to change my own oil etc to save money from shops. I have 2 catch tubs because I changed my diff fluid in the Honda. Looking at some oil prices it seems almost as expensive as going to a shop so why do it yourself? I ordered the FX model so that plate will suck.

I was told the best oil to use is 5w30 full synthetic GF6 oil. If that is correct how many jugs would I need to fill up after draining the oil pan? I will obviously watch a few videos between now and when I get my Maverick. Where the heck do I dispose of the old oil and crap from the catch can?

The only thing I'm really good at is changing tires, brakes, rotors. Anything else I'm special and need youtube.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Buschur
Sometimes I wish that I understood vehicles and engines more but, all I wanted to do growing up was play with guns. :) I've never changed my own oil before so that would be a new experience.

I did put a lift kit on my Honda Element with the subframe kit which sucked beyond words, plus I had a death wobble I couldn't get rid of and busted a CV. Sold the Honda and bought a 2020 ford escape that I'm trading off for a XLT Mav when it finally comes in. I'm afraid to even try to lift it after the death wobble experience with my last lift.

I would like to learn how to change my own oil etc to save money from shops. I have 2 catch tubs because I changed my diff fluid in the Honda. Looking at some oil prices it seems almost as expensive as going to a shop so why do it yourself? I ordered the FX model so that plate will suck.

I was told the best oil to use is 5w30 full synthetic GF6 oil. If that is correct how many jugs would I need to fill up after draining the oil pan? I will obviously watch a few videos between now and when I get my Maverick. Where the heck do I dispose of the old oil and crap from the catch can?

The only thing I'm really good at is changing tires, brakes, rotors. Anything else I'm special and need youtube.
Let's talk guns, much more fun!

The amount of oil is in the owners manual:)

Sponsored

Midnighthog

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let's talk guns, much more fun!

The amount of oil is in the owners manual:)
hahaha, Love me some guns....But hey you forgot one thing from all my jibber jabber, where do you dispose of the used oil and the can stuff you empty?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
hahaha, Love me some guns....But hey you forgot one thing from all my jibber jabber, where do you dispose of the used oil and the can stuff you empty?
There are places that take used oil, we have a local guy who uses it in a waste oil heater and picks up from our shop.

David_Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Triumph Speedmaster, Ducati GT1000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A lot of auto-parts stores also allows drop off, drain into a big drum your used oil. I used Advanced Auto near me (free)

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Autozone/advanced auto/oreillys all take used oil around here.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sometimes walmart takes used oil but you have to check. Google motor oil disposal for your township; ours pays a guy to take it.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Perhaps you might want to do some research on Direct Injection gas engines. Every little bit helps.

Last edited:

Midnighthog

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are places that take used oil, we have a local guy who uses it in a waste oil heater and picks up from our shop.
I think I found some places from the comments. I will call around. How about that oil suggestion? Good?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any chance you will be constructing ones you can clean and visually inspect that the catch can is clean? I've seen ones for the coyote motors that look like this.
No, it just adds expense for no benefit. If you were truly concerned with anything being left in it, you can simply wash it out and let it go out the drain.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.