Budget stock Audio upgrades (XL) - plan, research, options and experimentation

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
I’ll start this out by saying I’m a cheapskate. If I can pay a fraction of the price for something that’s almost as good but not crap, I’m about it.
Like the vast majority of “us” (maverick owners and enthusiasts), I felt the sound system just wasn’t good and HAD to upgrade (the stock speakers are pretty much junk). I’ve been following along with the other threads to get ideas of what people are doing to upgrade. My last vehicle was a ‘16 Toyota Camry SE and if I could get the Maverick to sound like that stock system for cheap, I’ll be happy. I went to a local shop that I’ve heard good things about, told em what I wanted to do and the dude told me the owner would spec it out and call me tomorrow…. A few weeks later, no call back and haven’t been able to get them to answer the phone and I don’t have time to go back there.

With that, they’ve lost their opportunity and I’m doing it myself. The plan is to upgrade all the factory speakers and add low end all for <$500. After digging and researching for almost 2 months I finally ordered components and a “sub” that will arrive mid-week.

After ruling a bunch of stuff out, below is basically the list of what was in consideration.
For the components, because of what I’m trying to budget, I narrowed it down to the following component sets:
Memphis Audio SRX60C
Hertz Uno K170/k165
Morel maximo 6

and ended up going with these because of the plug and play
Powerbass OE65C-FD
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_151OE65CFD/PowerBass-OE65C-FD.html - I couldn’t find them any cheaper than crutchfield and went with them for the free wiring harness which I may utilize on the rear speakers (had to put in a 2016 escape as the vehicle to register “fit” to get the free harness) - ***WRONG - can’t use on rear - used 72-5600 (72-5601 works as well, but pay close attention to positive/negative)

For the low end, I ended up deciding an under the seat set up would be best for what I’m wanting (probably mounting behind the seats, but we’ll see). The following were in consideration and the links are the cheapest I could find that particular unit for.

Jbl basspro SL and SL2 (link is for cheapest discontinued SL model)

KICKER HIDEAWAY HS8 and 46HS10 - link is for a refurb for >$190 for the 8”,

mb quart - RW-108A

Pioneer - TS-WX130DA Compact Active subwoofer

MTX terminator - TN8MS Terminator

Kenwood - looked at the KSC-pw8 and the KSC-SW11 (link for sw11)

Cerwin Vega VPAS10 - I love the size of this one for being a 10”, but they seem to be junk, def not the same cerwin Vega from the late 90’s (no link, cuz I wouldn’t buy this)

Rockford Fosgate PS-8

Planet Audio - P10AW

Alpine PWE-S8

At the end of the day I ended up going with the Kicker HS8, I didn’t buy the refurb I linked above, I found it NEW for $239.
For the hideaway, I’ll be following what others have done and tap the wiring harness using high level inputs so I don’t have to worry about the remote wire.
The powerbass components and kicker hideaway should be installed by the weekend.

Will be using this thread as a placeholder to update with pictures, lessons, review, etc…. I also ordered some Memphis 4x6 coaxials to try to retro/custom fit to the 4” speaker spots in the the C pillar speakers, but they’re back ordered meaning that will come later.
This will be my first car stereo system install in like 20 years after being heavy into the lowrider/car audio custom scene in the late 90s, so should be fun.

Figured I’d share what I’m doing to help those with research etc when trying to have the stock system sound decent.

**update on the 4x6s, they had no clue when the back order would be filled on the Memphis, so I cancelled. Ending up order these HERTZ Dieci DCX460 the cheapest I could find them prior was $149, and got them for $110 from Australia

total costs:
Front components - $129
Hideaway - $239
Rear speakers - $110
Which brings me to $478 + wiring, etc…

**Would reduce to $428 if I use the 4” and scrap the 4x6 for now per 1/26 update*

1/26 UPDATE**
Still waiting for the 4x6s and in the meantime I found a smoking deal on the 4” in the same product line
HERTZ Dieci DCX 100.3 for $60 on Amazon (again from overseas - UK) and those will be here tomorrow so planning on doing the rear install this weekend

The Hideaway is doing some weird shit at higher volumes so while I have the rear panels off etc, I’m going to re run my power cabling as well as a 9 way speed wire for future upgrades - I’ve also ordered a do it yourself t harness from LLJ customs and want to have it ready to go so I can add more and play around with different configs - a simple factory upgrade has turned into more of a hobby)

I have an old kicker OFC amp install kit but we moved a few months ago and couldn’t find it so I used the harness wiring that came with the hideaway to get it in and to test/play around. I’ll be yanking it and running 4 gauge wire for power and ground to distribution blocks and will be playing around with a loc/controller to wipe out the sound processing from the factory unit. I’ll also be playing around with building some custom enclosures for under the seats for 8” subs. the hideaway is everything I need if I can get the higher volume issues worked out, but I’m thinking I “want” a little more (and thought about the 10” hideaway, but the more I use one of these all in one powered subs, the more I think I want to separate that - I also don’t have the extra fractions of an inch thickness that the 10” has over the 8”). If I scrap the hideaway in favor of passive 8”s under the rear seats, I’ll utilize my existing mounting board for the hideaway for an the sub amp and likely an LC2i (or different audio control unit) and amp the fronts (might go with hertz components if I do all that as well).

I’ll keep updating with pics throughout the thread, and once I’m done and happy with the final product I’ll update the main post with detailed pics of the whole process.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like the vast majority of “us” (maverick owners and enthusiasts), I HAD to upgrade the sound because the stock speakers are junk.
Well, I suspect you are overestimating how many people will be doing sound upgrades. I estimate the vast majority will leave it alone.

But, I hope the upgrade works out well for you. Thanks for sharing your learning with others.

OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Well, I suspect you are overestimating how many people will be doing sound upgrades. I estimate the vast majority will leave it alone.

But, I hope the upgrade works out well for you. Thanks for sharing your learning with others.
Yeah I worded that bad, and you’re probably right. Moreso meant the vast majority think the stock speakers are garbage.

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Certainly agree it's not the best sound system, but definitely not the worst by a long shot either. IMHO good enough that I'm going to leave it alone for now (except for wireless CarPlay) and wait it out to see what the aftermarket brings to the table. As popular as the Maverick is turning out to be, I bet that there will be some great options for those who can wait. 🙄

CT2VT

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord; 2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I hope the aftermarket industry will deliver. I can live without cruise control on my "sometime off in the future XL" but I really do appreciate the joy that a quality sound system will deliver.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Certainly agree it's not the best sound system, but definitely not the worst by a long shot either. IMHO good enough that I'm going to leave it alone for now (except for wireless CarPlay) and wait it out to see what the aftermarket brings to the table. As popular as the Maverick is turning out to be, I bet that there will be some great options for those who can wait. 🙄
Part of why I’m going for cheap while still targeting a good sound I can live with foe the life of owning it. Something may come out where I’m like “yep, you got me…. Here’s my $$$”
I was going to just live with it, figured they’d get better as they break in…. What kills me is now and again I’ll find a song where I’m like “that actually sounds decent” and then the next song reminds me why I’ve been wanting to upgrade it so bad.

OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
I hope the aftermarket industry will deliver. I can live without cruise control on my "sometime off in the future XL" but I really do appreciate the joy that a quality sound system will deliver.
The components I ordered are plug and play for $129 and I’ve seen reviews from other fords where they thought they were an upgrade on the B&O system for that model…. Another guy in here installed the coax version (which is $30 cheaper) in his bronco sport and said it was a huge difference…. So does seem to be at least one easy aftermarket upgrade that’s plug and play (but still doesn’t solve the low end problem, but would likely be more than enough foe the majority of people). Hoping they won’t disappoint

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I plan to upgrade mine when it arrives. I've pretty much upgraded about every vehicle I've owned just because I'm picky about such things. I going to do a similar build to the earlier one on here. I don't care about wireless CarPlay, rather musical fidelity.

Looking forward to following your build.

BenGalFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW Jetta GLI
Looking forward to tracking your progress. I would like to upgrade the stock speakers as well when my maverick arrives. Coming from a GLI with the 9 speaker fender system, I can most certainly tell a difference. Good luck.

OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Tweeters installed…. went with those first because as I started to take apart the door, realized I could tackle the tweeters without a single screw needing to be removed. These things are as close to plug and play as you’ll find right now. Takes a little finagling to get it to clip back into the stock mount, but got it. A pillar is relatively easy to remove IMO (not as easy to clip back in, and I currently have a tiny opening at the top of the pillar which wasn’t there, but I’ll figure it out). The PB tweeters come with a small wiring harness (which is the perfect match for the tweeter location) and a normal sized one which could likely be used on the rear…. could use it on the door speakers but don’t need to with this set, as the harness is pre wired for plug and play). when connecting the harness, the copper colored wire is the positive (the side with the inline crossover).
First pic is the stock tweeter (which shows as 8 ohms on the back), 2nd is the new one put in (had to adjust it a tad further down after the pic, didn’t take more because my phone died right after I took these).
Sounds crisper/cleaner already just with the tweeters.
I think these are a great option for anybody who wants a plug and play option to upgrade the sound for a reasonable cost.
Ford Maverick Budget stock Audio upgrades (XL) - plan, research, options and experimentation FF561BE7-92D4-4A99-93E1-291D178A6673

Ford Maverick Budget stock Audio upgrades (XL) - plan, research, options and experimentation E072AF68-3588-4B5A-A0F4-7E42E4373EB8

Sponsored
OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
UPDATE: installed the door speakers Friday, did the drivers door first and then wasn’t careful enough on the passenger side and broke some wiring harness clips - be careful!!
The foam on the powerbass 6.5 speaker is too thick and you won’t be able to clip the door panel all the way back in without editing it. I took the foam DD, shaved it and re-glued it to the speaker housing. With this it makes it not quite so plug and play and if I had to do it over again I’d likely go with a slightly higher quality component set with actual crossovers. The sound is def an upgrade over stock.
Ran the wiring foe the hideaway and did the initial hookup and testing. All is good there, now just need to finalize the location and finish the custom mounting board/bracket. Part of me wants to get a second hideaway and mount them both behind the seat , but I’m going to play with this one for a week or so (and will likely just keep it at 1). I won’t make any decisions on that til I have the rear speakers mounted (and reminder, the stock speakers back there are 4”, but it’s an unconventional mount in the C pillar and you can retrofit the 4x6s which is what I’m doing - still waiting for the 4x6s to arrive)

OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Comparison pics of speaker foam:
Ford Maverick Budget stock Audio upgrades (XL) - plan, research, options and experimentation 933AC300-CD2A-4BB5-9A24-0D2E27C92E54
Ford Maverick Budget stock Audio upgrades (XL) - plan, research, options and experimentation 1BA70701-DF6A-42BA-ABA1-A58B4CD540FC

pic of direct fit in door:
Ford Maverick Budget stock Audio upgrades (XL) - plan, research, options and experimentation 8E42BB73-AE76-4D30-B843-EE3CA5F67333

the plugs are TIGHT and feels like they don’t fit at first, but they do.

OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
I also used the red and black looms - pic is passenger side where I ran the speaker wiring. I hadn’t work with these before (just used plastic tubing in the past). Pretty interesting the way these work and how you you can adjust how thick/tight they are around the wire’s
Ford Maverick Budget stock Audio upgrades (XL) - plan, research, options and experimentation CEA4EDED-DC39-49B7-8996-B27915C22640

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bravo. I'd love to do this but I have ANNOYING rattles throughout the entire car in various parts of the plastic trim. I couldn't imagine how much worse it will be with bass-ier speakers.

OP
OP
BootXL76

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Bravo. I'd love to do this but I have ANNOYING rattles throughout the entire car in various parts of the plastic trim. I couldn't imagine how much worse it will be with bass-ier speakers.
If you already have rattles, would be a perfect opportunity to add some sound deadening to the inside of that plastic 😃. I’m using some acoustic foam as well, thinking about covering the whole back behind the seat in some spray on sound deadening, but still in the infant stages of research on the long term ramifications of that)
Sponsored

Last edited: