Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anybody successfully upgraded the 2004 flip phone resolution backup camera on their Maverick? I hate the quality and lag. It’s like 4 frames per second and has an annoying (and dangerous) delay.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man, I’ve heard a lot of complaints about the backup camera system, but honestly the one on my Lariat Lux seems sparkle clear and as good as any I’ve had before.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man, I’ve heard a lot of complaints about the backup camera system, but honestly the one on my Lariat Lux seems sparkle clear and as good as any I’ve had before.
My lariat lux got a potato unit lol. I seriously wonder if there are two different units being installed, as available, at the factory each day.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lariat Luxury is the only way to get Sync 3, vs. the standard "Connected Touch Radio" that appears to descend from an older European Sync 2.5 system.

I wonder if the problem is not so much the camera as the image quality on the base touchscreen compared to the Sync 3 image quality.

rth121

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I thought it was just the terrible screen that comes with the Maverick, no?

Sponsored

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've found the backup camera is to be fairly useless, but not because of quality. The typical dangers of backing up are hitting things or being hit - The camera's not wide enough to see things that might hit you, and the nature of wide-angle lenses makes it extremely difficult to gauge distance with the camera. I've backed up within a foot of other cars while the camera makes it seem like I'm 3-6 feet away.

I don't use the camera at all.

OP
OP

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe Ford does use different camera modules in different trim levels. My XL touchscreen is nice and I’m very impressed with it. Apple car play is nice and clear. But the camera quality is pretty bad. It’s almost black and white. Was backing up into a spot at costco the other day and the camera was lagging and then it refreshed and I was 2 inches from a tree. Luckily I didn’t hit it. Eventually I’ll get used to backing up without the camera but I am still getting used to the truck.

I mainly use it just to see how far my rear bumper is from whatever is behind me but I would pay up to $200 for a super clear camera replacement that fits in the same spot the OEM one is in.

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Focus wagon 06 Silverado 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've found the backup camera is to be fairly useless, but not because of quality. The typical dangers of backing up are hitting things or being hit - The camera's not wide enough to see things that might hit you, and the nature of wide-angle lenses makes it extremely difficult to gauge distance with the camera. I've backed up within a foot of other cars while the camera makes it seem like I'm 3-6 feet away.

I don't use the camera at all.
Yeah the camera is like the passenger side mirror. Objects are closer than they appear. I hate those. I like true to view mirror like the drivers side.
Sponsored