Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2023 XLT Hybrid Cactus Grey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

Tried searching but couldn't find the exact answer. I've seen the available 12v cables in the Maverick bed are constantly on when the key is in the on or accessory position and stay on for a period of time after the key is removed. Does power also run to the wires when the vehicle is unlocked with the fob? I mainly plan to use the 12v wiring to add bed lighting but if I have to open the truck and put in my key to use it then it won't be worthwhile.

Thanks
Sponsored

BAScott62

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

Tried searching but couldn't find the exact answer. I've seen the available 12v cables in the Maverick bed are constantly on when the key is in the on or accessory position and stay on for a period of time after the key is removed. Does power also run to the wires when the vehicle is unlocked with the fob? I mainly plan to use the 12v wiring to add bed lighting but if I have to open the truck and put in my key to use it then it won't be worthwhile.

Thanks
Just checked, power to the rear 12V didn't come on until I switched the key to run.

BeardedK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for checking. That is a bummer
Yeah, I wish it were powered all the time as well. I’ve seen a post or two, on here or Reddit, where someone put a small motorcycle battery in the bed cubby and used that to have always powered lights at the click of a button.

OP
OP

MaverickCruiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I wish it were powered all the time as well. I’ve seen a post or two, on here or Reddit, where someone put a small motorcycle battery in the bed cubby and used that to have always powered lights at the click of a button.
I'll probably just grab some magnetic rechargeable lights that charge via USB. A motorcycle battery is a good idea and would last longer but I figure USB charging will be a little more convenient. Maybe I'll install a USB charging port in the bed that charges the lights while the truck is on or something.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for checking. That is a bummer
The purpose of NOT having those leads powered all the time is to preserve 12v battery life on the hybrid. As you may or may not know, there has been many posts and discussions about the hybrid's 12v battery deep sleep activity. Many of us believe it is too premature and feel Ford should address the problem.

OP
OP

MaverickCruiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The purpose of NOT having those leads powered all the time is to preserve 12v battery life on the hybrid. As you may or may not know, there has been many posts and discussions about the hybrid's 12v battery deep sleep activity. Many of us believe it is too premature and feel Ford should address the problem.
I wouldn't want it powered on all the time. My hope was they would activate when the vehicle is unlocked similar to the brake and dome lights.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll probably just grab some magnetic rechargeable lights that charge via USB. A motorcycle battery is a good idea and would last longer but I figure USB charging will be a little more convenient. Maybe I'll install a USB charging port in the bed that charges the lights while the truck is on or something.
I put these in the interior cabin on my Maverick. Hated having to get into a dark vehicle at night because of deep sleep turning off all but essential power. Tap on, tap off. Very happy with them.
https://a.co/d/33EHxtM

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't want it powered on all the time. My hope was they would activate when the vehicle is unlocked similar to the brake and dome lights.
Totally reasonable, but the dome lights are turned off when the hybrid is in deep sleep. Hang on . . . I'll check mine to see if the inside bed lights come on or if the 12v USB I put in will activate.

UPDATE: Ok, so I tried the 12v bed ports with dome lights off and then off. No power to them. I do like how you're thinking of other possible solutions. Keep thinking!

Last edited:
OP
OP

MaverickCruiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Totally reasonable, but the dome lights are turned off when the hybrid is in deep sleep. Hang on . . . I'll check mine to see if the inside bed lights come on or if the 12v USB I put in will activate.
Thanks. Luckily I haven't had deep sleep issues with my hybrid yet but I understand they could be coming down the road.

Reactions: Dad
Sponsored

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wonder if this is something you can ”fix” with forscan?

I would greatly prefer the 12v bed to be energized for a while after hitting a button on the fob.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really does sound like the better option would be to use the 12 volt accessory wires in the bed to charge a battery pack that runs the LED lights for the bed...

Last edited:

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if this is something you can ”fix” with forscan?

I would greatly prefer the 12v bed to be energized for a while after hitting a button on the fob.
Maybe. I don't know enough about forscan to say one way or the other, but no doubt you'll get other club members thinking about it.