WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No wiring, no light strips to stick or screw on.

Thought I'd take a chance and try this unit out. Arrived today. Strong magnet on one end. Rechargeable via USB.

Able to stand vertically on the truck bed floor but as I have the bed mat which would sit between the base of the thing and the floor of the bed, went with a more horizontal look (it swivels so can be configured in multiple positions or just turned to a vertical posture when not being used). Pictures a little on the fuzzy side but good enough to show it. If it comes to it I could always install another on the other side but from what have seen so far it won't be necessary. These pictures taken without the use of a flash.

First view: In dark garage, hard tonneau cover in fully closed position.

Ford Maverick Poor Man's Bed Lighting MAV-Home4

Second view: Garage lights on, bed light off, only the first flap of the tonneau folded back on order to get a shot of the unit from above.

Ford Maverick Poor Man's Bed Lighting MAV-Home5

If it turns out the magnet does not hold well enough (right now that doesn't seem to be a concern) I figure can always secure the casing by running a zip tie through the access holes on the side of the bed.

[edit] To belabor the obvious, no need for it to stick out as pictured when not being used for illumination. Takes all of half a second to flip it up to vertical, where it is virtually invisible, being narrower then the metal post between the side wall and the tailgate
Sponsored

Last edited:

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you receive a two wire harness with your truck? If so that plastic cover along side the cubby I believe has a connector behind it or the cubby where you can plug it in. I located some water resistant 12 volt plugs that will fill the hole and look professional for under $15.00. You may want to check it out.

OP
OP
WannaMav

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you receive a two wire harness with your truck? If so that plastic cover along side the cubby I believe has a connector behind it or the cubby where you can plug it in. I located some water resistant 12 volt plugs that will fill the hole and look professional for under $15.00. You may want to check it out.
Well aware of the pigtail connector, what it is for and how to use it. Simply feel no need to light the bed like the Las Vegas strip. Only need to discern what if anything is tucked away there; no intention of performing surgery in the bed.

Bonus is I have a removable powerful flashlight or emergency beacon I can readily detach for additional uses should the need arise.

Down the line half expect to put some USB power ports attached via the pigtail into the the door of one of the cubbies (once they arrive - as have an XL two are on order using Ford Pass points).

šŸ¤“

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn't there a built in bed light that comes on all models? Or is it only on the high end model or some option?

OP
OP
WannaMav

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn't there a built in bed light that comes on all models? Or is it only on the high end model or some option?
There's a cargo light (on-off switch for it next to the gas tank door release) above the cab's rear window, but that doesn't do squat if one has a tonneau cover in the closed position.

A single dedicated bed light on the inside of the bed, adjacent to the tailgate, is a higher end option included with the XLT and Lariat lux package on '22s.

Haven't checked but it MAY have been added as a stand alone purchasable option on '23s.

Sponsored

maggie06

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv 2022 oxford white maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought the 2-pack similar to yours. Keep 1 in glovebox, and 1 in bed cubby. Use the usb port i installed in bed cubby cover to charge. Pretty pleased with myselfšŸ˜

Vickram

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blk 23 Mav Lariat , 09 Escape ,72 honda 350 cycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I posted on Aug .that My mav came with the optional TOUCHLINK bed light . The dealer hadn't installed it when I went to get the truck . I really didn't want the light ,but the dealer said it was part of the original order .The truck was ordered by another gent ,and the deal didn't happen .
Because it was part of the build ,the dealer wouldn't refund the $320.00 price of the light . I had the two options A , have them install the light or 2 , try to sell it on e-bay or craigslist .
I went for option A . The price of this light and what ford charges for it is nothing short of a crime .
I get more light from TWO motion sensor puck lights that I mounted to the under side of my hard bed cover ( I said bed cover because I don't know how to spell Tonneau cover ) LOL.
They only come on when it's dark ,so the batteries will last a long time.

Baily2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™ve been using this magnetic rechargeable light from Harbor Freight as my poor manā€™s bed lighting. Works like a charm and magnet is super strong. I stick it to the side of the bed. No issues falling off.

https://www.harborfreight.com/750-l...ompact-magnetic-led-floodlight-red-59227.html
They have a 2100 lumen as well. I like that they are portable if you need the light elsewhere.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2100-...-magnetic-compact-floodlight-black-59170.html

Baily2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes the fact that it can be removed with ease for any use is a bonus. The 2100 lumen light is also a nice optionā€¦. I was too cheap for that one :)
Sponsored