dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ended up grabbing this one that is supposedly weatherproof and can be used as a power bank to charge devices (good for camping). It is magnetic or can be hung using the embedded hook.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08YY4S4PJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
how strong is the magnet? Do you think it will stay attached during normal driving?

also, it says IPX4 water proof….iirc, that pretty much means it can handle getting water splashed on it. I would not leave it uncovered in a storm or spray it with a hose..

OP
OP

MaverickCruiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2023 XLT Hybrid Cactus Grey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
how strong is the magnet? Do you think it will stay attached during normal driving?

also, it says IPX4 water proof….iirc, that pretty much means it can handle getting water splashed on it. I would not leave it uncovered in a storm or spray it with a hose..
The magnet seems pretty strong but I put it above the blank cubby so it is also resting on that so the magnet isn't supporting the full weight. I'll see if it stays put while driving. Thanks for the heads up on the waterproof rating. I intend to only have it in the bed with the tonneau closed.

OP
OP

MaverickCruiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2023 XLT Hybrid Cactus Grey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Drove around town and over railroad tracks today and the light stayed put. I think the magnet should be fine for normal driving. Going off-road or hitting large potholes at high speed might knock it off.

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Drove around town and over railroad tracks today and the light stayed put. I think the magnet should be fine for normal driving. Going off-road or hitting large potholes at high speed might knock it off.
Thanks. I think I’m still going to try my little wired in lights, but that looks like a pretty good second option.

Sponsored

Telemachus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB (sold), XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks. I think I’m still going to try my little wired in lights, but that looks like a pretty good second option.
I have the cargo button and bed lights fully working, as I documented in the other thread.

Wiring it this way is pretty much a must in my mind if you have a tonneau cover.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really does sound like the better option would be to use the 12 volt accessory wires in the bed to charge a battery pack that runs the LED lights for the bed...
My noco boost XL gb50 has a light as well as a USB in and USB out power ports. Might be good place to store it in bed cubby while hooked to an LED light. Don't know about securing it though or if usb power out stays hot? But it's available for deep sleeping. Maybe I can run a wire to jump posts under hood and just turn gb50 on to send current to jump posts?

Bwinter1701

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
BRYAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mustang GT, 2010 Honda Insight, 2020 Kia Sore
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I wish it were powered all the time as well. I’ve seen a post or two, on here or Reddit, where someone put a small motorcycle battery in the bed cubby and used that to have always powered lights at the click of a button.
So how does he re-charge that battery?

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So how does he re-charge that battery?
I would guess that he periodically hooks it up hooks up a charger while it is in his garage or pulls it out
Sponsored