Sponsored

BakFlip MX4 or Undercover Armor Flex Tonneau?

glider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4runner 2019 Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like my MX4. No leaks. Works just fine. Real Truck was good to work with.
Sponsored

Joe Strummer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I ordered tri-fold hardcover after market from Ford dealership who also installed it. When fully folded up there are strips of foam that rest against the cab. No chance of scratching paint. No leaks so far.

shadowthrone

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the MX4. It does leak a bit in heavy rain or car wash at the tailgate and the back of the bed, but it's generally not too bad.
RealTruck is great to work with, and if you reach out to their contact on this forum around a holiday they may give you a bit of a discount!

One thing I will say about the MX4 is the stick-on weatherstrip they give for the back of the bed is garbage, it leaked a lot more until I replaced it with a $5 weatherstrip from homedepot. Blows my mind that they couldn't include a better weatherstrip with a $1k cover. With a bit of adjustment back to front you can get a really good seal and ensure minimal leaks.

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have the MX4. It does leak a bit in heavy rain or car wash at the tailgate and the back of the bed, but it's generally not too bad.
RealTruck is great to work with, and if you reach out to their contact on this forum around a holiday they may give you a bit of a discount!

One thing I will say about the MX4 is the stick-on weatherstrip they give for the back of the bed is garbage, it leaked a lot more until I replaced it with a $5 weatherstrip from homedepot. Blows my mind that they couldn't include a better weatherstrip with a $1k cover. With a bit of adjustment back to front you can get a really good seal and ensure minimal leaks.
I ended up getting Tintvent Ribbed Foam Rubber Seal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09X1G4WDB?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 on the recommendation of another club member, apparently this is what BAK use to give you but are now shipping a cheaper foam seal.

OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had 2 Mavericks with each one of these 2 covers. Of the 2, I preferred the UnderCover as the top alum panels have a SIBL coating (Linux type) so it would be a bit more durable (scuff resistant) versus the painted MX4. The MX 4 will butt up against the back window glass, but it has foam blocks to protect the finish and serves as a stand-off to the truck body.
Thank you. I won't worry about the full fold position then. Regarding the top finish... I don't plan on stowing on top of an MX4. Do you think I need to be concerned about scuffing?

Sponsored

RSM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2012 Focus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hi, I have the BAK Revolver X4s Hard Rolling Tonneau Cover, easy to install and when rolled up you still have a view out of 1/2 the back window. I have had no water leak issues.

OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the carpet look. I am also a dealer so I get them at wholesale. What’s weird is although a msrp difference it’s only like a $20 cost difference. They used to come with a light kit as well but they stopped that. My last Raptor I had a bed rug kit with the carpeted ultra flex and it was a good match looked cool. The Maverick is definitely a little different install but it still only took me 25 minutes to have it completed. Now that real truck owns both companies I would say it’s possible maybe some quality has dropped just like all corporations that take over small businesses to cut some costs but nothing else around that would be any better. The ford factory one isn’t bad but I’m sure it’s made by one of these companies it’s just installed at factory and would be warranted by factory. I really don’t think you can go wrong with either one. Just depends what look you want. I think one time I had a gloss shiny finish on one before and I didn't like it. They have some ones with with black FRP finish but I’m in Vegas so the sun is a little hot out here! The matte finish with carpet works good.
Thanks very much. I don't care for a shiny tonneau finish. I thought the Retrax looked great on my F150, but don't want to take up that much space in the Maverick.

OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi, I have the BAK Revolver X4s Hard Rolling Tonneau Cover, easy to install and when rolled up you still have a view out of 1/2 the back window. I have had no water leak issues.
I'll look at that one, thanks.

OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Thanks very much for all this info. Do you remember what size weatherstripping you got from Home Depot?

Sponsored
OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered tri-fold hardcover after market from Ford dealership who also installed it. When fully folded up there are strips of foam that rest against the cab. No chance of scratching paint. No leaks so far.
Thanks!

OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Undercover Armor Flex!
The top is rhino lined so it holds up to whatever
I had one in my F150 for 3 years before I got the Maverick
Mine was only $1200 installed and the armor flex is supposed to be more than the ultra flex
Not leaning against the cab is less of an issue with a Maverick but I like that it doesn’t
Pretty sure either will be fine for you

As far as water getting in…. If the drains are hooked up you’ll only have drops here and there
IMG_4043.jpeg
Looks great. Thanks!

redskins5

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford F150 Hybrid, 2022 mavrick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just ordered the Roll-n-Lock m series cover for my mavrick. I had one installed on my F-150 i just got rid of for the last 4 years and I have one installed on the wifes mavrick which she has had for a year now. takes up very little room in the truck bed when it folls up in the housing and of course does not block any of the windows. It drains real well andI have not experienced any leaks on either of the two trucks. mine will be here Friday and by having the dealer install it it comes with a complete 5 year warranty.

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Until I sold my business in 2021, I was a dealer for both products. We typically recommended the Ultra Flex or Armor Flex over the MX4 for two reasons.

1. The prop rod setup on the Undercover models always seemed more positive to me. I didn't like the adjustable nature of the MX4 because it seemed too easy to not get it right, while the Undercover snapped in to a predetermined location that kept the folded cover away from the rear window.

2. The Undercover warranty was 2 years longer than the BAK warranty, which we felt added value and gave the customer more time to get help if the cover didn't hold up for some reason.

We also liked the felt underside because it looked nicer and seemed like it might muffle some noise from inside the bed. Invariably, when we pointed these things out on the displays, customers would choose the Undercover and we rarely had any returns.

All that said, you may also want to consider the Truxedo Sentry series of hard rollups, which is what I put on my Maverick. I find it easier to use than the Undercover, which I had on my F-350, and I still get full use of the bed without blocking rearward vision. Just a thought...
Sponsored