Sponsored

BakFlip MX4 or Undercover Armor Flex Tonneau?

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've decided to buy one of these two tonneau covers and spent today reading through the forum and internet and watching videos. I'm still having trouble deciding. I'd love to read more about members' experiences. The most important differentiator for me I think is how much room there is in the bed when the tonneau is fully folded and whether it rests on the window/paint.

There are pro and con opinions on the internet. One guy has a "horror story" 2-year old video about the UnderCover Flex's clamp strength, material fading and customer service, but without more details about his and his friend's installation and use, it's hard to judge his experience.

Key differentiators seem to be that the MX4 rests on the window/paint and the Ultra Flex doesn't, the Ultra Flex has a "carpet-like" interior lining and the MX4 doesn't, and the Ultra Flex costs $100 more.

Also, the local business I want to use has more experience with the MX4 however, they say that the seal effectiveness is hit and miss from Maverick to Maverick, although they say water intrusion was minimal. (They did a Retrax install on an F150 for me several years ago and did a great job.)

General comparison:

BakFlip MX4 Tonneau
๐Ÿ‘ $1,199 + $150 install (or $75 for repeat customer)
๐Ÿ‘Ž Rests on paint or rear window in fully folded position (although I've found nothing about broken windows or marred paint)
๐Ÿ‘ Local business has more experience installing these
Matte black
Aluminum alloy
No drill clamps/installation
400 lb. weight capacity
5-year warranty

UnderCover Ultra Flex Tonneau
๐Ÿ‘Ž $1,299 + $150 install (or $75 for repeat customer)
๐Ÿ‘ Doesn't rest on rear window in fully folded position (but does it take up that much more bed space?)
๐Ÿ‘Ž Local business has less experience installing these
Matte finish
Aluminum
400 lb. weight capacity
5-year warranty
"Carpet-like" interior lining
Sponsored

IHateSpeedbumps

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have the Ford Advantage Hard Folding tonneau which I think is a rebranded BakFlip MX4. I haven't noticed any issue with resting it on the glass but you could modify it so it wouldn't. I haven't had an issue with loading things in the bed with it fully up and since it sits above the rails there is plenty of space under it when it is fully closed. I like the locking mechanism for each of the fold and the ease of use. I have only notice a couple drops of water after it rains but have yet to determine where they come from.
Ford Maverick BakFlip MX4 or Undercover Armor Flex Tonneau? 20240207_152732
Ford Maverick BakFlip MX4 or Undercover Armor Flex Tonneau? 20240207_145417
Ford Maverick BakFlip MX4 or Undercover Armor Flex Tonneau? 20240207_152646

SloopJB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick FX4 ECO/AWD Cactus Gray XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've decided to buy one of these two tonneau covers and spent today reading through the forum and internet and watching videos. I'm still having trouble deciding. I'd love to read more about members' experiences. The most important differentiator for me I think is how much room there is in the bed when the tonneau is fully folded and whether it rests on the window/paint.

There are pro and con opinions on the internet. One guy has a "horror story" 2-year old video about the UnderCover Flex's clamp strength, material fading and customer service, but without more details about his and his friend's installation and use, it's hard to judge his experience.

Key differentiators seem to be that the MX4 rests on the window/paint and the Ultra Flex doesn't, the Ultra Flex has a "carpet-like" interior lining and the MX4 doesn't, and the Ultra Flex costs $100 more.

Also, the local business I want to use has more experience with the MX4 however, they say that the seal effectiveness is hit and miss from Maverick to Maverick, although they say water intrusion was minimal. (They did a Retrax install on an F150 for me several years ago and did a great job.)

General comparison:

BakFlip MX4 Tonneau
๐Ÿ‘ $1,199 + $150 install (or $75 for repeat customer)
๐Ÿ‘Ž Rests on paint or rear window in fully folded position (although I've found nothing about broken windows or marred paint)
๐Ÿ‘ Local business has more experience installing these
Matte black
Aluminum alloy
400 lb. weight capacity
5-year warranty

UnderCover Ultra Flex Tonneau
๐Ÿ‘Ž $1,299 + $150 install (or $75 for repeat customer)
๐Ÿ‘ Doesn't rest on rear window in fully folded position (but does it take up that much more bed space?)
๐Ÿ‘Ž Local business has less experience installing these
Matte finish
Aluminum
400 lb. weight capacity
5-year warranty
"Carpet-like" interior lining
I bought the Undercover Ultra Flex. I bought it online from Real Truck. Tell them you are a member of Maverick Truck Club and they will give you a 10% discount. I am very happy with my purchase.

I installed it myself without help. The rail system is very easy. The Tri-Fold cover is very easy. It only took me about 50 minutes to install after I got everything out and organized. Good instructions.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do

Ford Maverick BakFlip MX4 or Undercover Armor Flex Tonneau? IMG_1209

Ford Maverick BakFlip MX4 or Undercover Armor Flex Tonneau? IMG_1264

Dave_in_PA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My MX4 leaked from all corners, the rear, and each underside latch. I've read other forums for other trucks who say the same. Poorly engineered for over $1K.

I have taken every latch apart and added silicone to just about every penetration I could find and it still leaks in the middle.

I've had numerous types of tonneau covers on my F-150s for 25 years and never had this type of leaking.

Now while I agree with most who will say no tonneau cover is 100% waterproof, this thing leaks like a sieve.

My advice would be to buy from a reputable dealer who offers a good return policy. Install the tonneau and immediately test with a hose to make sure you can live with the amount of water it allows through if you get a MX4.

Real truck is a PIA regarding the return of a leaking tonneau.

OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the Ford Advantage Hard Folding tonneau which I think is a rebranded BakFlip MX4. I haven't noticed any issue with resting it on the glass but you could modify it so it wouldn't. I haven't had an issue with loading things in the bed with it fully up and since it sits above the rails there is plenty of space under it when it is fully closed. I like the locking mechanism for each of the fold and the ease of use. I have only notice a couple drops of water after it rains but have yet to determine where they come from.
20240207_152732.jpg
20240207_145417.jpg
20240207_152646.jpg
This is great to know, thank you very much. That's a great looking truck and cover. Do you know how I would modify it to not rest on the glass? (Although, since you haven't had an issue, sounds like it shouldn't be a consideration.)

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
20240207_152732.jpg
20240207_145417.jpg
20240207_152646.jpg
Also, is that a Ford bed extender? I like how it doesn't interfere with the tonneau cover.

OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought the Undercover Ultra Flex. I bought it online from Real Truck. Tell them you are a member of Maverick Truck Club and they will give you a 10% discount. I am very happy with my purchase.

I installed it myself without help. The rail system is very easy. The Tri-Fold cover is very easy. It only took me about 50 minutes to install after I got everything out and organized. Good instructions.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do

IMG_1209.jpeg

IMG_1264.png
Thanks! Wow, that's a good-looking truck. I don't want to install it myself because I'd rather take advantage of an installer's experience. I might screw up the seal. How long have you had your cover?

SloopJB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick FX4 ECO/AWD Cactus Gray XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Thanks! Wow, that's a good-looking truck. I don't want to install it myself because I'd rather take advantage of an installer's experience. I might screw up the seal. How long have you had your cover?
The truck is only 3 weeks old, 700 miles

OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My MX4 leaked from all corners, the rear, and each underside latch. I've read other forums for other trucks who say the same. Poorly engineered for over $1K.

I have taken every latch apart and added silicone to just about every penetration I could find and it still leaks in the middle.

I've had numerous types of tonneau covers on my F-150s for 25 years and never had this type of leaking.

Now while I agree with most who will say no tonneau cover is 100% waterproof, this thing leaks like a sieve.

My advice would be to buy from a reputable dealer who offers a good return policy. Install the tonneau and immediately test with a hose to make sure you can live with the amount of water it allows through if you get a MX4.

Real truck is a PIA regarding the return of a leaking tonneau.
Uhoh! Thank you. I plan to use a local business I've had luck with before. Have you tried any other tonneau covers? I don't mind a little water, as in drops, but "leaks like a sieve" is a deal killer.

Sponsored

IHateSpeedbumps

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is great to know, thank you very much. That's a great looking truck and cover. Do you know how I would modifiy it to not rest on the glass? (Although, since you haven't had an issue, sounds like it shouldn't be a consideration.)
It is held up by two rods when fully open. I think there is a way to have the rods sit slightly higher so they wouldn't push against the window. I will look tomorrow.

OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is held up by two rods when fully open. I think there is a way to have the rods sit slightly higher so they wouldn't push against the window. I will look tomorrow.
Ah, thank you. I appreciate your time.

IHateSpeedbumps

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Also, is that a Ford bed extender? I like how it doesn't interfere with the tonneau cover.
Yes. It is the Ford extender. I just wish it was wider on the tailgate. But I think I can use the same mounting bracket for some of the other extenders. I might see if I can find one that provides more storage. But so far the Ford one has worked well for my needs.
Ford Maverick BakFlip MX4 or Undercover Armor Flex Tonneau? 20240212_130700
Ford Maverick BakFlip MX4 or Undercover Armor Flex Tonneau? 20240212_173857

Dave_in_PA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Uhoh! Thank you. I plan to use a local business I've had luck with before. Have you tried any other tonneau covers? I don't mind a little water, as in drops, but "leaks like a sieve" is a deal killer.
Haven't tried any others as I bought this when I got my maverick and I don't want to sell this used to someone knowing they will have the same problems.

I can live with it leaking at the edges/corners, what really frustrates me is the leaking at the latches.

OP
OP
SusieQ

SusieQ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes. It is the Ford extender. I just wish it was wider on the tailgate. But I think I can use the same mounting bracket for some of the other extenders. I might see if I can find one that provides more storage. But so far the Ford one has worked well for my needs.
20240212_130700.jpg
20240212_173857.jpg
Nice plants. ๐Ÿ™‚ I've always wondered why they cut the corners on bed extenders. Is it easy to remove and reinstall?
Haven't tried any others as I bought this when I got my maverick and I don't want to sell this used to someone knowing they will have the same problems.

I can live with it leaking at the edges/corners, what really frustrates me is the leaking at the latches.
Yes, that's not cool.
Sponsored