Are Hybrids named wrong?

mjkladis

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
People also bought more quarter pounders over A&W’s third pounder burgers because they thought a quarter was bigger than a third.

I know what hybrids can do these days and its honestly the best option for my life. Affordable small truck that gets great mileage is absolutely perfect. Throw in that I can get the one I want for under $30k, it’s a no-brainer.
Sponsored

rmay635703

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru 360, Comutacar, Honda Insight, Dodge Ram
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My issue with Hybrids is that my state and local government tax the living $$$$ out of them.

I own an antique hybrid that doesn’t even have an operating hybrid system, battery is disabled and I still have to pay an EV fine on the car despite the fact it has no hybrid system and never could plug in the first place.

My other car based on annual gallons burned pays $38 a year on gas tax, why should a hybrid double or quadruple pay on gas taxes?

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Doesn't matter what it's called when you have a fragile ego.
This.

The term hybrid is fine. They may have chosen to use the term because in the beginning they knew they would have to play up to skeptics and highlight the fact the vehicles still had an ICE.

Sponsored

APD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Order submitted
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Self charging EV" would be an even more dishonest label/marketing term.
The only car I know of that fits that description is the older model of chevy volt (there may be others)
The maverick's primary power source that provides torque to the wheels is a gas engine. Electric drive is secondary.
Hybrid is appropriate, but you can call your maverick whatever you like.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Well my question has always been if you can charge a regular battery in a vehicle and you can charge a hybrid battery in a hybrid vehicle WHY CAN YOU NOT 100% CHARGE A FULLY ELECTRIC VEHICLE THE SAME WAY THEY DO IT WITH WIND , SOLAR AND HYDROELECTRIC ALL THREE MAKE ELECTRICITY. A vehicle has the mean generate, alternate or solar panels charge the vehicles battery. Think about it 🤔
And think about the weight and complexity.
Now I could see a large ship maybe using some of this tech.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

rmay635703

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru 360, Comutacar, Honda Insight, Dodge Ram
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you talking about the $75 a year surcharge? Or is there some additional tax on hybrids?
Each county is different

Title for a hybrid due to local taxes is $562.50 which is a lot of gas tax compared to the double digit fee paid for my old car.

Why a hybrid that gets 20mpg is paying $500 extra in the first year for “gas taxes”is beyond rediculous.

Not to mention non-plug ins paying the fee is specifically illegal due to violating equal protection laws. We had an old retired lawmaker trying to overturn it on legal means but the state has a private company IHS Markit administering hybrid taxes which blocks freedom of information act requests as in effect a private company can break state law and doesn’t need to answer public requests.

I had 2 identical cars, one was paying $225/registration, the other $85, went on 3 years, made the mistake of pushing the issue and they increased the registration on both, even though neither car met the definition in the law passed making the additional fees illegal.

Last edited:

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I kind of like the idea of a Maverick hybrid dragging around a hydroelectic dam.

That shows real power...
Ya know bumper cars?

Sponsored

APD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Order submitted
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well my question has always been if you can charge a regular battery in a vehicle and you can charge a hybrid battery in a hybrid vehicle WHY CAN YOU NOT 100% CHARGE A FULLY ELECTRIC VEHICLE THE SAME WAY THEY DO IT WITH WIND , SOLAR AND HYDROELECTRIC ALL THREE MAKE ELECTRICITY. A vehicle has the mean generate, alternate or solar panels charge the vehicles battery. Think about it 🤔
It comes down to power-to-weight ratios, battery energy density, and solar panel efficiency.
The solar panels available today are not efficient enough to generate enough power to completely charge an EV (in a reasonable amount of time)with the amount of surface area available.
Gasoline has an extremely high energy density, which is why we use it, its hard to beat.
The energy density of lithium batteries is just enough get us cars with a 200-300 mile range and still be priced reasonably. More batteries = more weight = more energy needed to move the car. You reach a point of diminishing returns and try to balance range/weight/cost
If you're old enough to remember EV's of the 90's, it was mostly DIY and we were using lead-acid batteries (super heavy) and cars with 40-60 mile range were considered good.
Fortunately the research in battery and solar chemistry is progressing faster and faster and EV's will continually have greater range and faster charging over the next decades.

Check out the lightyear for hyper efficient solar EV's, at a price of only $250,000 euros

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think self charging vehicle only fits if the engine is literally just a generator and has no direct path to the wheels, and basically a EV drivetrain. Our hybrids are using traditional gas propulsion for the vast amount of power on the road, unless you live in a parking lot. The idea that ICE is just an assist for the electric drivetrain is incorrect. In our case at least.
I wonder about changing the hybrid configuration so the ICE is strictly a generator. You‘d need a bigger battery and a bigger electric motor, but a smaller engine and fuel tank. The savings of downsizing the gas engine and tank would not seem to make up for the cost of a larger motor and battery. I wonder how small the generator could be. It’s a very interesting prospect.

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some of us are just buying this little truck because it's good. Not trying to save the planet or anything.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder about changing the hybrid configuration so the ICE is strictly a generator. You‘d need a bigger battery and a bigger electric motor, but a smaller engine and fuel tank. The savings of downsizing the gas engine and tank would not seem to make up for the cost of a larger motor and battery. I wonder how small the generator could be. It’s a very interesting prospect.
If I’m not mistaken, that’s what the (pre-2016?) Chevy Volt was all about.
Sponsored

Last edited: