Sponsored

Checking on Sub-Temperature performance with hybrids.

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is for the northern states and Canada with hybrids..
Wondering how the Maverick Hybrid's are performing in the cold sub temperature regions.
Is that hybrid battery pack holding a charge?
Do they take longer to charge?
Is the MPG lower?
When cold starting how smooth is it when the engine transitions from the motor or does the engine race until warmed up?
Sponsored

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In Pennsylvania. Been below freezing for the majority of my time with the Maverick. 1100 miles.

The battery holds a charge.

Its hard to tell how long it takes to charge. Doesn't seem like it's fully discharging.

I'm at 36mpg, 1 below advertised. No idea if this is due to weather, or because I live in the mountains so I'm driving rough terrain for a hybrid.

When using remote start the engine runs, but doesn't race. Have not noticed any over revving. The hybrid seems perfectly content to let the engine run on the cold side (The needles not sitting at the bottom, but it also usually doesn't go into what I'd consider the 'normal operating temp' for a pure gas engine).

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Working just fine here in WI. I've had mine for two weeks now. First week was all under 20F and this week warmer but still always under 35. Today got like 38 but not counting that.

1. Until spring comes hard to compare how much of a charge you lose in the cold but it's def at least some. Mostly if you have the heat blasting it steals it from the system and kicks the engine on to warm up again. But once you and the truck are warm and turn it down to 70 you can use the full charge it feels like.
2. Again hard to tell but probably yes. But since the engine runs more when the heat is on doesn't really matter.
3. My first tank was all under 20F and with a ton of idling. Just new car messing around stuff and whatever the dealer did. Still got 34 (hand calculated). Second tank was 38 with just slightly warmer weather. But probably 70/30 highway biased. Down to a quarter tank now with more city and it's indicating 39.5.
4. It's a little rough for a bit like any other small engine starting in the cold. Only takes a few minutes to warm up even if it's really cold but the transitions can be more noticeable. But usually the engine is on almost 100 percent of the time because it's warming up and you have the heat on. The transitions are noticable even when totally warm tbh. Not obtrusive but still.

OP
OP
Dadmezz

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In Pennsylvania. Been below freezing for the majority of my time with the Maverick. 1100 miles.

The battery holds a charge.

Its hard to tell how long it takes to charge. Doesn't seem like it's fully discharging.

I'm at 36mpg, 1 below advertised. No idea if this is due to weather, or because I live in the mountains so I'm driving rough terrain for a hybrid.

When using remote start the engine runs, but doesn't race. Have not noticed any over revving. The hybrid seems perfectly content to let the engine run on the cold side (The needles not sitting at the bottom, but it also usually doesn't go into what I'd consider the 'normal operating temp' for a pure gas engine).
Thank you for the feed back, and glad that it is working out for you.

OP
OP
Dadmezz

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Working just fine here in WI. I've had mine for two weeks now. First week was all under 20F and this week warmer but still always under 35. Today got like 38 but not counting that.

1. Until spring comes hard to compare how much of a charge you lose in the cold but it's def at least some. Mostly if you have the heat blasting it steals it from the system and kicks the engine on to warm up again. But once you and the truck are warm and turn it down to 70 you can use the full charge it feels like.
2. Again hard to tell but probably yes. But since the engine runs more when the heat is on doesn't really matter.
3. My first tank was all under 20F and with a ton of idling. Just new car messing around stuff and whatever the dealer did. Still got 34 (hand calculated). Second tank was 38 with just slightly warmer weather. But probably 70/30 highway biased. Down to a quarter tank now with more city and it's indicating 39.5.
4. It's a little rough for a bit like any other small engine starting in the cold. Only takes a few minutes to warm up even if it's really cold but the transitions can be more noticeable. But usually the engine is on almost 100 percent of the time because it's warming up and you have the heat on. The transitions are noticable even when totally warm tbh. Not obtrusive but still.
Great info. Sounds like it is performing well. Thanks

Sponsored

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In Ohio, running heat definitely makes the engine run more since the heater core operates on engine warmth.

Over 600 miles and about 150 of those were pulling a trailer of about 1000-1200 pounds usually. Averaging a hair under 32 for all miles.

Warming up the heat or defrosting is definitely a drain on battery usage. But no problems. Engine runs almost immediately when it's below 20 on start up. Whether heat is on or not. Warmer than that seems fine with out heat on.

I've had many trips over 40mpg and am getting quite a few now over 50 in town. Just have to learn the way to keep it in electric as much as possible. My first few days were a killer for mpg. Cold as hell, getting used to the gas pedal operation and not flooring it. Even then was still 28mpg. With a trailer in tow/Haul I consistently got in the 24-25mpg range.

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In Ohio, running heat definitely makes the engine run more since the heater core operates on engine warmth.

Over 600 miles and about 150 of those were pulling a trailer of about 1000-1200 pounds usually. Averaging a hair under 32 for all miles.

Warming up the heat or defrosting is definitely a drain on battery usage. But no problems. Engine runs almost immediately when it's below 20 on start up. Whether heat is on or not. Warmer than that seems fine with out heat on.

I've had many trips over 40mpg and am getting quite a few now over 50 in town. Just have to learn the way to keep it in electric as much as possible. My first few days were a killer for mpg. Cold as hell, getting used to the gas pedal operation and not flooring it. Even then was still 28mpg. With a trailer in tow/Haul I consistently got in the 24-25mpg range.
I broke the 50 mpg barrier today on a short city trip. Granted it was 38F and the engine was already warm but it was still satisfying af. I had basically the same experience in the cold with mine the first few days too. 25 mpg pulling even a 1k trailer is incredible.

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I broke the 50 mpg barrier today on a short city trip. Granted it was 38F and the engine was already warm but it was still satisfying af. I had basically the same experience in the cold with mine the first few days too. 25 mpg pulling even a 1k trailer is incredible.
And that 24-25 was 50mi of mostly freeway at 70mph, 50 miles with an empty trailer on mostly 2 lane and 50 miles of mostly 2 lanes with a cub cadet tractor and plow on it. Loaded was about 1200, empty was about 400ish.

But yes I was thrilled with that mileage. My 87 F150 gets 10mpg on its best day. And pulling any trailer with it is probably only getting 8 or 9 mpg. The big 35 year old V8 is a thirsty engine. Likes oil, too.

OP
OP
Dadmezz

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Wow! MPG with the trailer is pretty good to me, battery recovery good, and fast heater. Glad to hear that the defroster is a go. We all will have to learn the skill to be efficient with the power throttle. Thank you.

Last edited:

cmlars

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick

Is there an indicator on the instrument panel that shows where the truck is at between battery and gas? I have a Malibu hybrid and it has a gauge that I can watch as I drive it to see how close it is to switching over to gas power. It really helps to improve mpg.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there an indicator on the instrument panel that shows where the truck is at between battery and gas? I have a Malibu hybrid and it has a gauge that I can watch as I drive it to see how close it is to switching over to gas power. It really helps to improve mpg.
Yep. You can see it here:

MtcARK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have an XL hybrid. Last evening in the snow and rain, with temps in the low 30's, I drove 160 miles from Erie PA to Warren PA, and back on US Rt. 6. I got 44.3 mpg for the entire trip.
Sponsored