Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I placed this in the Hybrid sub-section of the MTC forums as I'm trying to avoid another Hybrid vs Ecoboost pissing-match thread. This thread is directed toward those that already feel the gas/battery powertrain is the better choice for their normal driving circumstances. And its meant to be read in a tongue-in-cheek yet thought-provoking manner.

The linked article's title is polarizing, but it discusses how the term "Hybrid" may not be the best descriptor and even includes how Toyota Prius history maybe hurting current Hybrid acceptance (slow drivers always holding up traffic, etc).

I sort of like thinking of my future Mavericka as actually a "Self-Charging EV". Of course Ford (and other manufacturers) won't adopt the new term because "Hybrid" is ingrained in current automotive culture...and especially becuase the badges would be longer and therefore slightly more expensive 😉.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu... -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers
Sponsored

OP
OP
djw479

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

DarkStorny, I think you misread my statement and the article. Its a self-charging vehicle, not a self-driving vehicle.

And like I said, this post and article is meant to be read with some tongue-in-cheek humor.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a hybrid Lariat and I enjoy a good 'hybrid joke'. What I have an issue with is not hybrids but with some hybrid drivers and how they drive in 'traffic'. Hypermile on lonely roads, please.

If people can't separate the drivers habits from the cars capabilities, they can't be reasoned with.

DarkStormy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DarkStorny, I think you misread my statement and the article. Its a self-charging vehicle, not a self-driving vehicle.

And like I said, this post and article is meant to be read with some tongue-in-cheek humor.
Ah just caught that and fixed it, thank you.
I get the gist of the article, and I agree somewhat.

Sponsored

Linda B

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Lux!!!, E450 Lazy Daze Motorhome
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I placed this in the Hybrid sub-section of the MTC forums as I'm trying to avoid another Hybrid vs Ecoboost pissing-match thread. This thread is directed toward those that already feel the gas/battery powertrain is the better choice for their normal driving circumstances. And its meant to be read in a tongue-in-cheek yet thought-provoking manner.

The linked article's title is polarizing, but it discusses how the term "Hybrid" may not be the best descriptor and even includes how Toyota Prius history maybe hurting current Hybrid acceptance (slow drivers always holding up traffic, etc).

I sort of like thinking of my future Mavericka as actually a "Self-Charging EV". Of course Ford (and other manufacturers) won't adopt the new term because "Hybrid" is ingrained in current automotive culture...and especially becuase the badges would be longer and therefore slightly more expensive 😉.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a40797343/we-should-all-be-driving-hybrids/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rdt&utm_medium=email&date=080622&utm_campaign=nl28641095&utm_term=AAA -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers
The article is behind a pay wall. You need a subscription to see it all.

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a hybrid Lariat and I enjoy a good 'hybrid joke'. What I have an issue with is not hybrids but with some hybrid drivers and how they drive in 'traffic'. Hypermile on lonely roads, please.

If people can't separate the drivers habits from the cars capabilities, they can't be reasoned with.
Agreed. One of the many great things about the hybrid Maverick is that it's perfectly possible to keep up with traffic and still get fantastic gas mileage. Why piss everybody off for a few extra pennies?

OP
OP
djw479

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sorry about that! I didn't realize Road&Track articles were behind a paywall. Tried to copy&paste it here but R&T prevents me from copying the article.

I got a free subscription to R&T when the Autoweek magazine shut down. Otherwise personally I refuse to pay for access to any article on the internet...remember when the internet was all based on free access.

The gist of the article is Hybrids should be renamed to Self-Charging EVs. Also discussed the current range anxiety of many EV vehicles, etc. Hope this helps!

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
EAV (electric assisted vehicle)
or
ETV (electrified transmission vehicle)

I agree with the gist, though. Calling both PHEV and HEV hybrid is confusing. My dad asked me, regarding my Maverick, where I plug it in.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's odd. I don't have a subscription and it opened fine for me. . . I'm using Firefox as a browser, if it matters. . . .

Sponsored

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmm
I do think hybrid fits as the car does have two sources of power. Sure for most drivers they are using EV a lot, but since the ICE is still helping it's not really an EV. If the gas engine was a backup you'd have a better case but since is it integrated and depended on, it's a harder one.

For me, I drive <3k miles a year and most of my trips are city driving less than 7 miles. I'm pretty confident my mpg is gonna be spectacular with all the damn stoplights, but my vehicle will still depend on the gas engine at times.

It's kinda like getting solar panels on your house in the city. You technically are totally on solar, but you do have city power to use when needed and it really just balances out. You could say you are 100% solar but in reality you are "City Power Neutral"

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe PHEV should be called self charging electric vehicle. I think it's impossible to do an entire trip electrically in three Maverick... Unless it's a trip to the mailbox and back.

Braderick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT, RAV4 Hybrid, KIA EV6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hybrid is a good term for the power supply.

That begs a name change for ice engines to be called enbrids.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think self charging vehicle only fits if the engine is literally just a generator and has no direct path to the wheels, and basically a EV drivetrain. Our hybrids are using traditional gas propulsion for the vast amount of power on the road, unless you live in a parking lot. The idea that ICE is just an assist for the electric drivetrain is incorrect. In our case at least.
Sponsored

Last edited: