Anyone see the Santa Cruz recall?

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems Mavericks are not the only ones with problems.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...A12V7yC?cvid=65875904146f4f8091fdd82b9a542617

• Hyundai confirms that six of its late-model vehicles are subject to a recall and sales stop, due to problems with the 8-speed dual-clutch transmission.
  • All N-model cars plus the Santa Cruz compact pickup truck from 2022 (pictured above) as well as 2021-2022 Sonata and Santa Fe models have been recalled, totaling 61,861 units.

• The problem stems from a faulty oil pump that leads to limp mode and then the loss of propulsion entirely.
Despite Hyundai's strides in electrification, quality, and performance, no company is immune to mistakes, and it seems Hyundai has stumbled into a big one. A recall notice posted online said a faulty oil pump in specific 8-speed dual-clutch transmission cars was resulting in a total loss of propulsion, and Hyundai confirms this recall is affecting six late models.
Specifically, this recall will affect the 2021-22 Hyundai Santa Fe, Sonata, and Veloster N models, as well as the 2022 Elantra N, Kona N, and Santa Cruz models. According to the leaked recall notice, a transmission-specific high-pressure oil pump is prone to malfunction, which can lead the car to produce a diagnostic trouble code. In order to preserve the transmission, the clutches will automatically disengage once the oil-pump fault is identified. Once the diagnostic code has been triggered, the cars will then allegedly enter a fail-safe mode before losing propulsion entirely 20-30 seconds later.
Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
ShadowBlack XL440

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Salt water and these high voltage batteries are not a good mix. Wait until 2025 when most of the industry shifts to 800 Volt batteries like the Porsche Taycan. That should be quite the fireworks show. Tesla’s First Responders Guide recommends 3,000 to 8,000 gallons of water on hand to put out a Tesla fire.
Just asking, What is the difference between salt water flooding and the sodium chloride or rock salt that is spread on the northern rust belt winter time roads? Aren't the hybrid batteries being exposed to similar conditions?

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just asking, What is the difference between salt water flooding and the sodium chloride or rock salt that is spread on the northern rust belt winter time roads? Aren't the hybrid batteries being exposed to similar conditions?
Road salt gets sprayed all over the underside of the vehicle.

Flood water... floods. It sits there, soaking its way in everywhere. Actively eating away at everything. Getting in places that the road salt spray simply wouldn't. If the floodwaters are deep enough, they reach further into the vehicle and at higher concentrations. They can seep up into the cabin, spreading mold, rust, etc in the process. Spray only hits where it lands. When something is submerged, the water gets everywhere.

Flood-damaged cars often have issues that don't even show up right away. Think about an electronic device that's been submerged in water. At first, it seems to dry out okay, but then it starts to act up in strange ways, or stop functioning altogether. That doesn't happen when it simply gets splashed a bit.

Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Shortly after Ian the headline read - EVs exploding all over Florida!!!

Once you got past the click bait it's reviled in the story that there were a total of 4 instances of EV cars that caught fire and were hard to extinguish but no explosions or damage from explosions shown. The video posted imo is the same joke.

Are lithium batteries a fire risk, absolutely, as are all cars with a gas tank. We know the danger gasoline or natural gas or the like imposes and more or less accept/except it. This battery thing is new and scary to some.

Years ago I was stopped on the Pa Turnpike by a motor home fire a couple hundred yards ahead. After some time as I was out sitting on my hood watching the inferno, the RVs propane tank, probably a 40 gal, exploded. I sure felt the blast. I have no idea what part of the blast was from gasoline if any. Some time later as traffic moved I passed a smoldering pile of ash with a frame and an engine at the side of the road. Should have banned motor homes.

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Salt water and these high voltage batteries are not a good mix. Wait until 2025 when most of the industry shifts to 800 Volt batteries like the Porsche Taycan. That should be quite the fireworks show. Tesla’s First Responders Guide recommends 3,000 to 8,000 gallons of water on hand to put out a Tesla fire.
I'm a volunteer Firefighter at my local hall, a couple of months ago we had a Model 3 go up in flames for reasons unknown, it took 3 hoses and about 12k gallons to get it to a point where it was safe(ish). we actually dragged it with our firetruck across a road to an empty parking lot so if it did re-ignite it wouldn't be a danger to anything until it was recovered. We covered it with a fire isolator blanket with a misting system and there it sat for 4 days before the tow truck company would even consider touching it.

A regular fully involved vehicle fire (I've done about 5 during my 4 year tenure) could be considered fully extinguished with about 500-750 gallons depending on size and type.

https://fireisolator.com/?gclid=Cjw...yNqfO-p-nxoCQzgQAvD_BwE#what-is-fire-isolator

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems Mavericks are not the only ones with problems.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...A12V7yC?cvid=65875904146f4f8091fdd82b9a542617

• Hyundai confirms that six of its late-model vehicles are subject to a recall and sales stop, due to problems with the 8-speed dual-clutch transmission.
  • All N-model cars plus the Santa Cruz compact pickup truck from 2022 (pictured above) as well as 2021-2022 Sonata and Santa Fe models have been recalled, totaling 61,861 units.

• The problem stems from a faulty oil pump that leads to limp mode and then the loss of propulsion entirely.
Despite Hyundai's strides in electrification, quality, and performance, no company is immune to mistakes, and it seems Hyundai has stumbled into a big one. A recall notice posted online said a faulty oil pump in specific 8-speed dual-clutch transmission cars was resulting in a total loss of propulsion, and Hyundai confirms this recall is affecting six late models.
Specifically, this recall will affect the 2021-22 Hyundai Santa Fe, Sonata, and Veloster N models, as well as the 2022 Elantra N, Kona N, and Santa Cruz models. According to the leaked recall notice, a transmission-specific high-pressure oil pump is prone to malfunction, which can lead the car to produce a diagnostic trouble code. In order to preserve the transmission, the clutches will automatically disengage once the oil-pump fault is identified. Once the diagnostic code has been triggered, the cars will then allegedly enter a fail-safe mode before losing propulsion entirely 20-30 seconds later.
I am very grateful for this message!! I own a SC Limited - I am now on the phone with my local dealer for an appointment to get repaired.

UPDATE - I have an appointment for next Tuesday!! Fortunately, I took delivery of a First Ed, RR AWD 4kTow etc. yesterday, I will have alternative wheels while the SC gets fixed. YEP I am one of the unique folks that likes BOTH vehicles! Admittedly one of them is going to be sold very soon...

Last edited:

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Once Sulphur/Aluminum/Salt batteries are in use that won't be a problem, at least for those.

bbyBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick (VB), 1986 Lincoln Mark 7
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hyundai has always had a bad bad history with Engines and Transmissions. I love the maverick better, it also looks better imo

crgator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hyundai has always had a bad bad history with Engines and Transmissions. I love the maverick better, it also looks better imo
I've had two Hyundais. Both Tucsons. Never had an issue with the engine or transmission. Once I bought used, a 2007, the other I bought new, a 2019. I had one recall on the 2019. I don't remember what it was for, but I was in and out in no time to get the recall completed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Hyundai. I just don't like the Santa Cruz, which is why I got a Maverick and have another on order. I do agree, the Mav looks better.

Reactions: Dad

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I drove a Santa Cruz and a Maverick hybrid the same day plus a Genesis GV-70. I only drove the Mav because they had one for comparison. I expected to love the SC and the GV but on first impression I only liked them although both were very nice. I ended up ordering an EB Maverick- go figure! That Hyundai dealer is pretty good but they charge $2000 over MSRP on anything new that you don't finance and you can't really order a Hyundai or Genesis as far as I know. They also don't seem to get a lot of advance notice of what is coming in.
Sponsored

Reactions: Dad