Sponsored

Anyone order the 4K Tow package for security beyond Towing?

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I occasionally tow with my current 06 Nissan Frontier 2WD XE 2.5l 4cyl. Not heavy, but at elevation (4k ft to 8k ft). So, the truck struggles. Looking forward to the forced induction of the Ecoboost helping to maintain horsepower at elevation. And the tow package is a given.

However, I live in the desert southwest of Arizona USA and Sonora Mexico. Our speed limits are high (75mph), our temperatures extreme (115degF on summer days), and our road surfaces break down (especially on the Mexican side). So, I'm getting the 4K tow packages for reasons beyond towing.

• The added security of the enlarged radiator and upgraded cooling fan and the transmission cooler. Even without towing, the drive train works hard at speeds of 70-80mpg with temperatures of 110-115degF for hours on end. Just feel like that is good insurance for longevity for a scant $745.
  • The option to add slighltly larger tires for comfort while traveling. Stock size of 225/60R18 would be replaced by 245/60R18 over time (a 1" increase in diameter resulting in a 3.5% increase in speed per revolution). Stock diff ratio is 3.67. 4K gives you 3.81. (That is a rotational decrease of -3.8%) So, when increasing the tire diameter with the larger sizer, the overall gearing (engine rpms to distance traveled) shouldn't deviate that much from the stock truck without 4K. If I'm not towing, I'll still maintain a decent torque (within a fraction of non 4k stock w/ stock wheels).
Obviously, with the tire increase I'll have a wider tire (nominally 3/4"), so fuel economy would still be effected. And that same tire increase means that when towing, I'll loose out somewhat on the advantage of lower gearing of the 4K Tow package. However, when towing, it will be light loads under 2K lbs, so it won't work any harder than the non 4k tow equipped rigs.

Anyone else thinking along those lines when they outfitted their Maverick with the 4K tow package?
Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have said many times on here that I feel the AWD Maverick with 4K Tow package to be the "most capable" overall configuration of the truck. Now, that doesn't mean it's the BEST Maverick or meets everyone's wants and needs. I just mean that it is the most well-rounded version of the truck in terms of overall ability -- on and off-road driving, maximum payload, maximum towing capacity, upgraded drive ratio, upgraded cooling components.

To me, getting an AWD Maverick and not adding the 4K package for a lousy $745 is crazy. Even if you never tow, you get some really nice upgrades that can pay dividends in ways such as you outline. Not to mention the upgraded final drive ratio also makes your truck faster off the line!

OP
OP
FischAutoTechGarten

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

To me, getting an AWD Maverick and not adding the 4K package for a lousy $745 is crazy. Even if you never tow, you get some really nice upgrades that can pay dividends in ways such as you outline.
I feel the same way about the manual rear sliding window on the XLT. I can't believe folks pass that up for $155. Just yesterday, I put two pieces of 16' 1x4 rough lumber in my Frontier (need to do a small concrete job in the exterior laundry room in my home here in Mexico)... Stuck it through that sliding window right up to windshield (with a handtowel over the ends that met the dash and windshield.. and another handtowel where it passed through the sliding window) and then strapped it down over the tailgate.

Anyway, as I'm not ordered (didn't make the Sept order bank deadline.... my fault for taking the moral high ground with dealers... LOL!!...), I keep my eye out constantly checking on orders that haven't been taken up. You'd be surprised how many AWD EB XLTs get ordered without 4K Tow and Rear sliding windows. For a scant $900 for both I can't imagine it!

scourgio

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT (first ever truck)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick is my first truck. I have nothing to tow, but I got the 4K tow package anyway. I was thinking along the same lines as pa-outdoorsman, the 4K package makes it more of a truck and the added cost is reasonable for the extra items it includes.

Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I feel the same way about the manual rear sliding window on the XLT. I can't believe folks pass that up for $155. Just yesterday, I put two pieces of 16' 1x4 rough lumber in my Frontier (need to do a small concrete job in the exterior laundry room in my home here in Mexico)... Stuck it through that sliding window right up to windshield (with a handtowel over the ends that met the dash and windshield.. and another handtowel where it passed through the sliding window) and then strapped it down over the tailgate.

Anyway, as I'm not ordered (didn't make the Sept order bank deadline.... my fault for taking the moral high ground with dealers... LOL!!...), I keep my eye out constantly checking on orders that haven't been taken up. You'd be surprised how many AWD EB XLTs get ordered without 4K Tow and Rear sliding windows. For a scant $900 for both I can't imagine it!
Well I got AWD, FX4 and 4K but not the sliding rear window. To each his own but here were my reasons:

1. Security risk/easiest place to break into cab.

2. Never used it on my other trucks.

3. Single panel rear glass looks better and offers maximum visibility.

But you are right that it's a good deal for $155 so money shouldn't be the deciding factor.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I did want to future-proof my truck as I currently do not have anything to tow that exceeds 2,000 pounds, and yes, a larger radiator and transmission cooler are nice to have.

4K tow is the main reason why I sold my First Edition. When I ordered it in August '21, I actually did have 4K towing on it, but then I kept seeing 4K tow on the constraints list late '21 - early '22, so I removed it.

You can get the larger radiator and trans cooler with FX4, lose the gear ratio and gain skid plates. Also lose sport and eco drive modes but add them back with Forscan.

I think the gear ratio difference is about the least impactful part of 4K tow. My FE (again, no 4K tow) came with 235/65-17 Falken Wildpeak and my current truck came with 225/60-18 Michelin Primacy. The effective gear ratio difference is actually 5% between the shorter tire and the different ring & pinion ratio. (I just called revs/mile x gear ratio 'driveshaft' even thought that's not right unless the transmission is in the 1:1 gear, which I think is 6th.)
Tire SizeRevs per MileGear RatioDriveshaft% Change
FE Ecoboost235/65-17
695​
3.67​
2550.65​
4K Tow w/ 18"225/60-18
705​
3.81​
2686.05​
5%​

Despite that, my current truck with 4K tow gets at least 2-3 mpg better on the highway because of the tires.

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you aren't towing or hauling I doubt the transmission temp does anything. Almost all transmissions lock up on the highway these days, no torque converter swishing at all. I guess if you want a larger radiator then go for it. I've never lived in Phoenix, but the deep South has never been a cooling problem for a car of mine in 45 years or so. In the 70s people used to get the "towing package" because American cars just sucked in general and you did everything you could to make them better.

bautek_mn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX Sport Wagon, Future Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At least half the reason I added 4K tow was to have the added engine and transmission cooling in place when I get bored and start adding more boost.

Aside from that it'll come in handy for the odd equipment and/or trailer rental.

I had also planned to swap the stock all seasons for Wildpeak ATW/3s, it was a no-brainer to also add the optional 4k tow/FX4 wheels that already had them installed.

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered the 4k as I plan to tow a lot and will likely be at or over capacity fairly often. If I wasn't planning to tow over 2,000 lbs, I'd still get the tow package for the upgraded cooling. Most any direction out of the valley I live in has 7% or more grades on the highways that are a few miles long. Any way I can keep things cool in the summer when it's 110 degrees I'll take it. I added the FX4 because I do some outdoor activities in extremely rocky lava rock areas. I could have added aftermarket skids but in this area resale value/desirability goes up immensely if it has an "off road" sticker on the side.

As for the sliding rear window, I'd hate to be without it and for $155 it was a no brainer.

Sponsored

AltoBAP

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's the main reason I ordered it. I drive the piss out of vehicles. It is comforting knowing it has extra cooling capacity, especially for the transmission. And the shorter gear ratio is a bonus.

Baloo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 Lux Ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I got it, but also got the FX4 package so they kind of cancel out, or should have had a discount due to paying for some of the same stuff twice. Reason I added it is I have plans to buy a camper later on, plus it should add some resale value if I sell it.

CessPilot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 F250 SuperDut
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in the southwest desert country and the extra cooling is desirable for in any direction, there are mountains to pull. I had my Lariat built with the Tow package and FX4 because I drive on back roads and pull an ATV trailer. The electric window was part of the package, however I have never used it in any of the previous trucks I have owned.

22RolloverClub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek, 2019 VW Jetta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Got it because I'll need it. Do a fair bit of towing around home and on trips. That said I don't know the "scientific properties" of coolant under pressure but thumbing though the manual I see the larger capacity radiator equates to 1/2qt more than stock (9.5qt instead of 9qt). Doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade on that front. Maybe half a quart does indeed make a big difference. Still a no brainer option for an AWD model IMO.
Ford Maverick Anyone order the 4K Tow package for security beyond Towing? Screenshot_20230225-064012

Larry the lariat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I believe getting the 4K tow package should be a must. For 700-800 dollars your future proofing for the long term in the sense of cooling and capability. I made the switch from hybrid to EB when Ford allowed it and soon after added the 4K package. I then added the FX4 package because, in all honesty, I really liked the rims. Lol. And for 700-800 dollars, worth it in my opinion
Sponsored