Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

For a 25,000$ truck i cant complain.few minor things could be better built but i think its a darn nice truckšŸ˜Žruns,good,drives good and rides good.what can i say!but old people just arenā€™t picky.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a reason when looking at the statistics of the trucks on order people lean heavily towards the cheaper versions.
Reason: Good, Better, Best marketing strategy. It's all part of the plan. XLT is specifically designed to be the right value proposition for most people, with the other trims to handle edge cases and make XLT look like a good deal. After all, when you aren't getting the cheapest version, but not going all out with the most expensive, it increases the sense of value. If XLT was the only option, they wouldn't have that marketing aspect.

Good: XL. It gets you the basics at an attractive entry price. Exists mainly to make XLT look like a better deal. Intentionally devoid of what many might expect as a basic standard feature these days, such as a power tailgate lock

Better: XLT. Gets you some desirable upgrades for a relatively small additional sum.

Best: Lariat. Gets you more "luxury"-esque touches. Everything available on the vehicle. Also exists to make XLT look like an affordable value proposition.

The rough ratio between trims is also mostly in-line with Ford's expectations, thus the production ratios.

Hybrid is a bit different; either they didn't expect the majority to be happy with the base hybrid (especially for less money in MY2022), or they simply cannot/won't source the components to build more hybrids. Escape hybrid with most of the same powertrain components (eCVT/electric motor is a bit different) is also highly constrained.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I noticed you purchased an XLT. Was moving "up" for the XL to the XLT putting lipstick on a pig???? Sort of like moving up from an XLT to a Lariat??? :unsure:
I did as well and IMO, it is "putting lipstick on a pig" but my wife wouldn't purchase a vehicle without cruise control. I have said something similar on this board many many times. For those who need a truck, there simply isn't an alternative, but the value proposition (for those of us who don't) isn't there >$25k. If I was looking to spend $30k, little chance we're even looking at a Maverick; but again, we don't need a truck. We do love this thing.

For those who spent $35k; yes, there isn't really an alternative, but I wouldn't be complaining about "built quality" knowing that at its core this is the cheapest truck on the market (and by a large amount). I was actually pleasantly surprised at the build quality, it's probably better than our VW jetta (which had an MSRP of ~$24k, but we got for $14k OTD because of dieselgate), but it's clearly an <$30k vehicle.

Sponsored

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did as well and IMO, it is "putting lipstick on a pig" but my wife wouldn't purchase a vehicle without cruise control. I have said something similar on this board many many times. For those who need a truck, there simply isn't an alternative, but the value proposition (for those of us who don't) isn't there >$25k. If I was looking to spend $30k, little chance we're even looking at a Maverick; but again, we don't need a truck. We do love this thing.

For those who spent $35k; yes, there isn't really an alternative, but I wouldn't be complaining about "built quality" knowing that at its core this is the cheapest truck on the market (and by a large amount). I was actually pleasantly surprised at the build quality, it's probably better than our VW jetta (which had an MSRP of ~$24k, but we got for $14k OTD because of dieselgate), but it's clearly an <$30k vehicle.
Exactly why I had mine built the way I did and kept it under the $30k mark, selected what I thought were essential things for what I was planning on doing with my maverick and leaving out luxury items as I have other vehicles that are more luxury orientedā€¦. Thatā€™s one thing Iā€™ve never understood when people start comparing the maverick to other vehicles, they always start comparing to completely different class of vehicles such as civic, etc. when they should be comparing to what Ford is actually marketing the maverick as, which is a truck for all intents and purposes and once you get into that you have very little to compare to as anything that is a truck that is of higher quality is going to start at a significantly higher price than the maverick does and even then the quality isnā€™t always there

BingoDingo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nonya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe that that wind buffeting experience is called "cavitation". All modern vehicles that undergo wind tunnel testing for max airflow over vehicle to reduce drag that hurts MPG are tested with all windows in up position. They don't expect you to drive with windows opened these days with AC Climate control standard in virtually every new vehicle.
Yes this is common on most cars. Consumer reports did a study that showed over 45mph the drag of the windows down is greater than the energy of running the AC, so it's really not much of an issue to most.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Exactly why I had mine built the way I did and kept it under the $30k mark, selected what I thought were essential things for what I was planning on doing with my maverick and leaving out luxury items as I have other vehicles that are more luxury orientedā€¦. Thatā€™s one thing Iā€™ve never understood when people start comparing the maverick to other vehicles, they always start comparing to completely different class of vehicles such as civic, etc. when they should be comparing to what Ford is actually marketing the maverick as, which is a truck for all intents and purposes and once you get into that you have very little to compare to as anything that is a truck that is of higher quality is going to start at a significantly higher price than the maverick does and even then the quality isnā€™t always there
Ford markets it as a city truck.

As a truck for people who might otherwise drive a Civic and never thought they were truck people. People who could use a truck for light duty tasks like DIY trips to a home improvement or landscaping store.

Ford does not market actively to ā€œtruck peopleā€ who might otherwise buy an F-150, etc. Maverick exists to expand truck sales, not cannibalize them. For one, theyā€™d rather sell you the much more profitable truck. For another, they donā€™t need to. The truck sells itself to them.

JazzyJockJeffcoat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I noticed you purchased an XLT. Was moving "up" for the XL to the XLT putting lipstick on a pig???? Sort of like moving up from an XLT to a Lariat??? :unsure:
You're gonna make detective any day. My option was a $100 hitch, with 4% off invoice, financed at 0% APR. You tell me.

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford markets it as a city truck.

As a truck for people who might otherwise drive a Civic and never thought they were truck people. People who could use a truck for light duty tasks like DIY trips to a home improvement or landscaping store.

Ford does not market actively to ā€œtruck peopleā€ who might otherwise buy an F-150, etc. Maverick exists to expand truck sales, not cannibalize them. For one, theyā€™d rather sell you the much more profitable truck. For another, they donā€™t need to. The truck sells itself to them.
City truck does not equate to compact sedan though, still an Apple to oranges comparisonā€¦. Ford themselves never marketed as such as far as I remember, the first comparison I ever saw made to that was a review by a third party, even at that those reviews basically paint a picture of fordā€™s strategy with the maverick as being something of a gateway into eventually getting people to upgrade to one of their full size trucks later on down the line, so again, still not a good comparison putting the maverick up against compact cars that just happen to be in the same price range

Sponsored

Starwatcher

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes its a 20-30k truck so i shouldn't expect luxury. these are some of the build quality issues ive come across not even gotten through my first tank of gas.

1. There is no insulation between the engine and the cab. When i open my drivers door i can see inside my engine bay. Ill elaborate more on this later on.

IMG_20221125_232306107.jpg

2. The fender liners dont align, mate, and cover the wheel well. tons of dirt, salt, etc gets up inside the engine bay from here and accelerates corrosion in hard to reach spaces, especially the pinch welds. Dirt and grime also easily migrates to the door seals, door wiring boot and can seep its way inside the frame.

IMG_20221125_231729004 - Copy.jpg

3. The rear wheel well fender liner and splash guard doesnt cover or protect the rocker panel and the wheel constantly shoves water and dirt into it accelerating corrosion. i dont think there is a product that could even help this as theres just to much water flow.

IMG_20221125_231113925.jpg

4. this one is a little more specific to me, The steering wheel upholstery is torn and not fitted well, you can easily see inside the steering column into the engine bay.

IMG_20221125_232427607.jpg

IMG_20221125_232746489.jpg

besides the torn upholstery are these same issues on everyone else mavericks? or worth raising a warranty claim?. Anyone else have things they've noticed?
No problems will build quality except rattles in the instrument panel. More than one. Dealer fixed one, I found the rest and stopped them with O rings pushed between plastic panels. Mostly around the radio display

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
City truck does not equate to compact sedan though, still an Apple to oranges comparisonā€¦. Ford themselves never marketed as such as far as I remember, the first comparison I ever saw made to that was a review by a third party, even at that those reviews basically paint a picture of fordā€™s strategy with the maverick as being something of a gateway into eventually getting people to upgrade to one of their full size trucks later on down the line, so again, still not a good comparison putting the maverick up against compact cars that just happen to be in the same price range
Really?

So when a customer sees that Civic and a Maverick for a similar price, gaining truck functionalities like 2000 lb towing, an open bed, etc, at 40 mpg city, thatā€™s not going to convince people theyā€™re truck people now?

Nearly worked on me coming from a Focus until I found I could get an overall better equipped Escape Hybrid AWD for a bit less money, with less of a wait. Still have other use cases that would be well served by a Maverick.

Never had anything bigger than a Taurus previously, and wasnā€™t looking at pickups until Maverick was unveiled.

As you note, once people start using the ā€œstarter pickupā€, some will inevitably look to upgrade to a Ranger or F-150.

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Really?

So when a customer sees that Civic and a Maverick for a similar price, gaining truck functionalities like 2000 lb towing, an open bed, etc, at 40 mpg city, thatā€™s not going to convince people theyā€™re truck people now?

Nearly worked on me coming from a Focus until I found I could get an overall better equipped Escape Hybrid AWD for a bit less money, with less of a wait. Still have other use cases that would be well served by a Maverick.

Never had anything bigger than a Taurus previously, and wasnā€™t looking at pickups until Maverick was unveiled.

As you note, once people start using the ā€œstarter pickupā€, some will inevitably look to upgrade to a Ranger or F-150.
Just saying, outside of priceā€¦. Thereā€™s no comparison to be made

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really?

City folk here. I have multiple friends very interested in the Mav and not a single one owns a truck. Their cars right now are all hatchbacks, sedans and the occasional Subaru.

Trucks having garbage gas mileage, oversized for city garages, high price tag and limited backseat space has been a huge deterrent for folks buying trucks. For those folks the Mav is a perfectly targeted vehicle.

Deppizzymo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is why we are getting the XL hybrid with nothing but a hitch. In 2022 we ordered an XLT simply for the cruise. When we rolled over to a 2023 we couldn't switch to the XL fast enough. With private offer we should be right at $21k
Sponsored