Sponsored

Anyone else interested in the Canoo truck?

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
it would be intresting to see but not really
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love the concept. I have always liked cab over vans for their space efficiency. I wish they didn't try to make it so futuristic looking and ugly.I no idea how they will pass modern crash test saefety regulations. Having to design everything to survive highway high speed crashes severely limits what is possible. But there are many takeways from its design that could be incorporated into other vehicle platforms going forward. All electric will likely never work for me either until there is some kind of major battery breakthrough. It just isn't practical for cold weather and living in more remote places.
The thing is it isn't really a cabover; the windshield extending all the way forwards just makes it look like one. In the interior shots you can really see how much open space there is in front of the dashboard. It's still pretty much the same configuration as regular short-hood cargo vans (Econoline, Express) with the driver positioned behind the front wheels.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am pretty fascinated by it. I have toyed with reserving one just for fun. I think the most interesting thing is the question as to whether it will materialize before the company disappears. Time will tell.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I saw my first rivian on the road. EV's are a nice dream but they still have a ways to go before they can be considered a 1 for 1 replacement for ICE vehicles.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love the concept. I have always liked cab over vans for their space efficiency. I wish they didn't try to make it so futuristic looking and ugly.I no idea how they will pass modern crash test saefety regulations. Having to design everything to survive highway high speed crashes severely limits what is possible. But there are many takeways from its design that could be incorporated into other vehicle platforms going forward. All electric will likely never work for me either until there is some kind of major battery breakthrough. It just isn't practical for cold weather and living in more remote places.
Testing is not done at "highway high speed"

Sponsored

DoomBuggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Before slamming this post as not Maverick related - kindly note that it's in the "non-Maverick" forum.

A year ago, I was kind of dubious that Canoo would survive and deliver product. But they keep surprising me in a positive way. They're delivering vehicles now to fleets and to my former employer, the US Army, with consumer sales in one year. And when I saw Sandy Munro react positively - well that's all I needed to become a believer.

The Canoo looks like an amazing vehicle. Two doors and a big bed. Sides that flip down. A frunk. Electric with enough range for a casual user like me. Incredible visibility, especially forward. And best of all, a total length of 184" - so it's not a bloated four door truck piglet. Modular design so you can upgrade down the road. Decide you don't want a truck? Take it in and have them bolt on a minivan "top hat" in a few hours. And the camper overlanding build looks frigging awesome.

I'm not preordering quite yet, but I'll be watching how Canoo fares in the media and business world.
Thanks for posting this! I love it. It's quirky and so weird-looking it's kind of cute. Reminds me of my first Prius. Kind of a Star Trek shuttle look...

I don't love the range, which is only 200 miles per their website, but I love the modularity concept. I have often thought that cars ought to be easy to upgrade inside--although that obviously isn't in the car manufacturers' best interests. And the fact that you can change out the batteries may make up for the low range--perhaps they're thinking that at some future point customers could upgrade to bigger batteries?

Anywhoo, I have no idea how much this costs, and like they say, if you have to ask the price you probably can't afford it. But it's a super cool little vehicle!
DB

SpaceyMac

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Maverick Lariat 360 2.5L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting company, but a long difficult road ahead. They will needs a ton of capital and that seems to be drying up with current rates. NASA has contract with them for astronaut vehicle to move personnel to the lift platform. I get so many rock chips on my commute and that lower glass panel on truck and van gives me anxiety.

The other EV company that has interesting vehicles is Alpha. Especially the Alpha Wolf and Wolf+. Marty McFly vibs.
Ford Maverick Anyone else interested in the Canoo truck? alpha wolf
Ford Maverick Anyone else interested in the Canoo truck? WOLF+PLUS+(40)

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Testing is not done at "highway high speed"
Where did I say they did? They most definitely design for it. 1 out of 4 fatal crashes occur at high speed.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where did I say they did? They most definitely design for it. 1 out of 4 fatal crashes occur at high speed.
You wrote' "I no idea how they will pass modern crash test saefety regulations. Having to design everything to survive highway high speed crashes severely limits what is possible"

"crash test saefety regulations" are not at highway high speed.

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You wrote' "I no idea how they will pass modern crash test saefety regulations. Having to design everything to survive highway high speed crashes severely limits what is possible"

"crash test saefety regulations" are not at highway high speed.
Thanks for proving me right. Do you see that period in the middle? Two different thoughts and statements. Wizard indeed.

Sponsored

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for proving me right. Do you see that period in the middle? Two different thoughts and statements. Wizard indeed.
Vehicles are designed and tested to meet current specifications. Not to survive highway high speed crashes.

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I put in a preorder for a Canoo pickup truck as soon as they were accepting them. I've been following them since the beginning. That truck is so damn different that I like it, unlike the Telsa spacetruck. I'm only hoping for an early 2028 delivery if Canoo stays in business.

OP
OP

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
VW ID.Buzz will own this market and crush all competitors before they get established.
From what I've seen, very different products. I paid attention to the new ID Buzz because I'm one of the few left in the world who actually owned a real 1st gen VW Bus back in the day (late 60s). Complete with the shift knob you had to move 20 feet to go from 1st to 2nd gear. I loved that rolling snail.

From what I've seen, zero similarity (between Buzz and Canoo) beyond a very vague shape similarity.Buzz is vastly more e

https://electrek.co/2022/05/31/vw-id-buzz-electric-minibus-price/
Interesting company, but a long difficult road ahead. They will needs a ton of capital and that seems to be drying up with current rates. NASA has contract with them for astronaut vehicle to move personnel to the lift platform. I get so many rock chips on my commute and that lower glass panel on truck and van gives me anxiety.

The other EV company that has interesting vehicles is Alpha. Especially the Alpha Wolf and Wolf+. Marty McFly vibs.
alpha wolf.jpeg
WOLF+PLUS+(40).jpg
Interesting comment about rock chips. I hadn't thought about that. Wonder if that's acrylic?

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Vehicles are designed and tested to meet current specifications. Not to survive highway high speed crashes.
You are just trying ot be argumentative. Ford most definitely considers high speed crashes when they design the vehicle.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Before slamming this post as not Maverick related - kindly note that it's in the "non-Maverick" forum.

A year ago, I was kind of dubious that Canoo would survive and deliver product. But they keep surprising me in a positive way. They're delivering vehicles now to fleets and to my former employer, the US Army, with consumer sales in one year. And when I saw Sandy Munro react positively - well that's all I needed to become a believer.

The Canoo looks like an amazing vehicle. Two doors and a big bed. Sides that flip down. A frunk. Electric with enough range for a casual user like me. Incredible visibility, especially forward. And best of all, a total length of 184" - so it's not a bloated four door truck piglet. Modular design so you can upgrade down the road. Decide you don't want a truck? Take it in and have them bolt on a minivan "top hat" in a few hours. And the camper overlanding build looks frigging awesome.

I'm not preordering quite yet, but I'll be watching how Canoo fares in the media and business world.

Oh, and here's the link to the Canoo truck page...

https://www.canoo.com/pickup/
Cool looking and some real nice features but, so much horsepower for only 1800 lbs of payload leads to terrible range (200 miles). Why did they choose that trade-off when range is such a concern for EVs?
Sponsored