First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some of you guys are hacks and I'd hate to buy a used vehicle from you.
If the hack is good enough for me in my new ride it is fine for the next guy.
Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a year to get around to tying up the rope pull. I shall put it on the to-do list. :D

Fastbackjon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0, 18 Flex, 20 Edge, 21 Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi

I live in Canada. The Antenna of my Maverick got caught in the rope loop to pull my garage door down (See picture below). Dealer referred to their collusion expert wants. They have quoted me $1500 to fix. This doesn't seem to me that it should be that hard a fix with the right parts but I'm not sure exactly where to find them or what to do to install correctly. I was wondering if anybody here would be willing to point me in the right direction.

20220509_190649.jpg
Get a hold of a can of FlexSeal. If Phil Swift can do an entire boat and drive it on the water, maybe that is an option....... In all seriousness, sorry to see something like this happen. As the post from the former dealer body shop guy, and myself having worked at a Ford dealer, there is a lot involved in getting done correctly. Lots of good options suggested though. But the headliner will need to be dropped with any of the suggestions. Good luck.

Last edited:

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What a freak accident, as others have said, sounds like an insurance claim. I'll check my garage rope immediately.

I just recently had my car's entire ceiling liner replaced. Porsche manufacturing used a clue to install all their liners and after 5 or 6 years the glue failed, and the entire headliner was sagging down 3 or 4 inches. Thousands of 911's roof liners failed "outside their warranty". I was expecting a high repair bill to completely replace my head liner but was surprised a local upholstery/headliner shop charged $88 to completely replace and it only took a little over 1 hour of labor.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Some of you guys are hacks and I'd hate to buy a used vehicle from you.
We used to fix everything ourselves and we did a great job. The dealers can be hacks too.

Stuart

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick on order
If you can restore the bent metal on the roof to its original position, It looks like the antenna and bracket are undamaged and could be reinstalled as it was originally. You would have to remove the headliner and protect the roof paint, but maybe two large fender washers sandwiching the tear out , run a bolt through the center and tighten the nut to flatten the bent part.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the hole in the roof doesn't extend past the sides of the antenna base, you might be able to drop the headliner, rewire it, and use 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant or another heavy duty silicone sealant to stick it back on. But you probably will never be able to take it to a drive thru carwash again.
careful with silicone. I causes corrosion on metal unless specifically formulated. Your 3M option is the better option.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

marpolsdofer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Dodge Dakota 5.2L, 96 Geo Prizm 1.8L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got a cheap fix that would be permanent and will allow for service. Get some sheet metal and cut enough to cover the hole and some. After the headliner is off tape up the patch and draw an outline. Now go the the top side and draw out the original design. Take off the patch and cut the design out. Thwn cut out the destroyed area or pound it outm. Enough to make the area flat. Gets some metal on metal adhesive. Adhere the patch to the original spot that was outlined. Don't know what it used for a seal (foam or rubber, or some type of sealant). If it uses sealant just some type of paint safe caulk or see would work. Don't use a glue type cause you just rip the paint off. Now it can be put on and taken off with out destroying it.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If it makes you feel any better, I paid $1,500 this spring to fix the tiniest little mailbox scratch in our Volvo. I had to - any imperfection in a vehicle like that kills resale value. They have to be mint.

I always figure you get what you pay for. If your Maverick is gonna become a scratchy rust bucket like my ancient Ranger, just plug the hole with Play Doh. Otherwise, I sure would get it properly repaired by pros.

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I always figure you get what you pay for. If your Maverick is gonna become a scratchy rust bucket like my ancient Ranger, just plug the hole with Play Doh. Otherwise, I sure would get it properly repaired by pros.
Play Doh? Are you kidding me? This calls for Silly Putty!
Sponsored