Sponsored

Annoying and Worrying Rattle

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Hello all,

I have reported before on here that I have an annoying rattle coming out of the Maverick. Not entirely sure from where, because I have been busy since I got it and dont really have anyone to help me to try to pinpoint the noise. But some testing today makes me believe that it is coming from somewhere right underneath the center console, presumably outside of the cabin. I recorded it, thinking that the cell phone probably wouldnt catch the noise, but wow did it really capture it. It doesnt sound as bad in real life, at least to my ears, as it does in the video. My Cellphone is a cheap Chinese phone, it has bad cameras and microphones, so I think that may have something to do with why it seemed to really capture the noise and make it sound worse than it is. But at least it isolated it well and you can hear the rattle for yourselves. It is one of the three issues I have with the build quality of my XLT. The other things were 1. it came with a chip on the front hood that someone (dealer?) tried to fix but made a mess of. 2. The boot for the steering column was not bolted on. I will be taking it into the dealership sometime soon because a new car should not be making these terrible noises.

Some quick words about the sound. I didnt catch it when I initially picked up the truck, but 2-3 days later I noticed it. I probably didnt notice it because other than when at 1.5-2k. rpm when leaving a stop you dont really hear it. In the video you can hear it again at higher RPMs, but on the road the sound is muted by the tires and wind, etc. It does it both when in neutral and slightly revved, and also when driving.

What do yall think? Someone else posted on the forums a while back that in their case pushing up on the exhaust made the noise go away.

In the video it sounds like some kind of grinding noise at times, and that is not what I hear in person.
Sponsored

LongshotXL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Sounds same as mine but I only hear it once the truck is warmed up and and idling. I don't hear it with revs. I am the one who got under and pushed on the muffler to make is stop. I still cannot find any contact with the heat shield so maybe something inside the muffler rattling or some resonance making the heat shield rattle.

TE37Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds same as mine but I only hear it once the truck is warmed up and and idling. I don't hear it with revs. I am the one who got under and pushed on the muffler to make is stop. I still cannot find any contact with the heat shield so maybe something inside the muffler rattling or some resonance making the heat shield rattle.
yea definitely sounds like a loose heat shield rattle.

Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This definitely sounds like a metallic shield vibration. Look for a heat shield that has some give. Have your dealer work on it though.

edit- the “grinding” would be the metal sliding and grinding on another piece. My wife’s car did this and it sounded like it came from the front but was a heat shield in the rear.

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
Gawd. That’s annoying. I complain when my 97 Ranger w/ 248,000 rattles.

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That would be back at the dealer in a heartbeat if it were mine. Would drive me bonkers

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like an exhaust heat shield. 99% sure that's what is is.

denndemon

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT, 2014 Chev Equinox LT
Guys, could be what I have... a noisy high pressure fuel pump that causes things to resonate along the supply fuel line to the back of truck. The mechanic got rid of a shield rattle from it that was under/behind the driver's seat, but the buzz of the pump is still there and annoying. It happens to me at light to medium load at about 1,700 to 2,200 rpm... sometimes goes higher with more throttle. Oh, I have the 2l. ecoboost 8 spd. auto, XLT with trailer package.

Sponsored

Sirslayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m having the same issue when I was very low on gas, a rattling noise started to get loud. After filing it up with gas the noise now has now minimize

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the same thing. I will mention it to the mechanic(s) when i get my first oil change in about a month or so.

My1stFord

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like a didgereedoo. Did you check to see if crocodile Dundee is in your console?

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the heat shield around the exhaust tunnel

pgstick02

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1973 Super Beetle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am with the others and thinking it may be a heat shield or part of your exhaust. I would take that video and show it to the dealer and get that warrantied for a fix.

I normally will try and fix something myself but if it is under warranty have them fix it so it is logged that it happened under that warranty.
Sponsored