First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lincoln Continental, 2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hate being on this end of questions, makes me feel dumb... And I promise I did a search first without finding the info I'm looking for.

So here's the rub:

I've got a really good quality USBc cable to connect my phone, and when I plug it in, Android auto pops up almost immediately, loads the map, and starts playing from wherever I left off on Spotify. All is right in my world, for about 30 seconds, and then AA shuts off. The radio defaults back to (exceedingly loud) FM radio, even though Bluetooth is still connected and I get "usb device not responding" on the infotainment screen. Fine, so I tap the Bluetooth source audio instead, Spotify picks back up no prob, for about 5 minutes, then android auto pops back up after another "usb device not responding" message (weirdly), and loads everything again. It runs for another 30 seconds before repeating the process over again.

This happens like clockwork on those intervals for the whole drive while I have the phone plugged in. Usually on the 3rd time I just unplug my phone so it will stop going back to FM radio when AA fails, and just listen to Bluetooth.

I am not the most tech-savvy millennial, but I know how to set up apps and devices and navigate menus and such. This problem is beyond my knowledge base...

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Have you encountered it and found a fix? Any help is much appreciated...
Sponsored

EONR24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Honestly, it could be a software issue with the radio itself that needs fixed or updated by FORD, or something like a setting or app on your phone that keeps disconnecting you from ANDROID AUTO. If you have a friend with an ANDROID, I would test it in your Maverick's ANDROID AUTO and see if it happens with their phone too! That way you can figure out if it's a problem with your phone or your radio!

Ken Hell

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD Lariat Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I Have the same problem. It's because even if you connect to the phone with a USB cord, the phone will still try to connect to your truck via Bluetooth. Disable the auto connection for Bluetooth on your phone and the truck app won't get confused.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I Have the same problem. It's because even if you connect to the phone with a USB cord, the phone will still try to connect to your truck via Bluetooth. Disable the auto connection for Bluetooth on your phone and the truck app won't get confused.
Also, make sure you don't have anything connect to your bluetooth on your phone at the same time. Also check to see if the connector (USB) is bad.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't say enough nice things about a wireless adapter. But check a different high-quality cable if Ken's suggestion doesn't fix it.

Also in a different vehicle I was having issues with AA staying connected (with a good cable)- sent a report to Google and they sent an AA update which seemed to have fixed it.

Sponsored

Redline

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT shadow black
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just got home from a 100 mile drive and my AA would just randomly quit working. It happened 4 times in 2 hours. I'm plugged in and playing YouTube music when it quits working. If I unplug my phone and plug it back in, it resumes playing where it left off. I did have BT active on my phone. I'll try without the BT active and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.
My USB cable is brand new, but that doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't be the problem. 😬

Last edited:

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a wireless adapter. Takes about 30 seconds to sync. No issues once its connected to my phone. Had this in all my cars. No issues.

Lane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.app.goo.gl
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 Hybrid XL, 2006 VW Jetta Smyth UTE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had this happen a few times, ended up being the USB cable's connector as it plugs into the phone. Was a great quality cable but the connector's reliabilty seems to take a hit from a lot of plugging/unplugging. I'd try replacing the cable first.

To another poster - I have my Bluetooth on and the phone connected to the truck that way, in addition to using a USB cable for AA. I've never had a problem with it connected with both methods at the same time.

BostonMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With Android Auto I changed battery optimization settings for specific apps (Android Auto, maps, music apps etc) to prevent randomly disconnects on my Pixel.

Settings > Battery > Battery Usage > Select App > Allow background usage > Unrestricted

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't say enough nice things about a wireless adapter. But check a different high-quality cable if Ken's suggestion doesn't fix it.

Also in a different vehicle I was having issues with AA staying connected (with a good cable)- sent a report to Google and they sent an AA update which seemed to have fixed it.
Agreed on the wireless.

AAWireless works with Android and iPhone as well. Also has a developer mode for Android so you can run third party apps on Android Auto. Like fermata, and screen to auto, both to allow video on screen.

$64 right now.

AAWireless 2024 - Wireless Android Auto Dongle - Connects automatically to Android Auto - Easy Plug and Play Setup - Free Companion App - Made in Europe https://a.co/d/if8GQdQ

Sponsored

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Settings > Battery > Battery Usage > Select App > Allow background usage > Unrestricted
This ☝
Also, If background data is needed to use the app, but is turned off in an app's settings, that can also cause problems using it with bluetooth or Adroid Auto.

Bobkath

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 roadster ,Highlander 24 pepper red hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a very similar issue. Problem was that the USB cord did not seat into my phone completely because of my phone cover prevented it. Had to cut the cover hole just a little bigger where the usb connected and no more disconnects.

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I hate being on this end of questions, makes me feel dumb... And I promise I did a search first without finding the info I'm looking for.

So here's the rub:

I've got a really good quality USBc cable to connect my phone, and when I plug it in, Android auto pops up almost immediately, loads the map, and starts playing from wherever I left off on Spotify. All is right in my world, for about 30 seconds, and then AA shuts off. The radio defaults back to (exceedingly loud) FM radio, even though Bluetooth is still connected and I get "usb device not responding" on the infotainment screen. Fine, so I tap the Bluetooth source audio instead, Spotify picks back up no prob, for about 5 minutes, then android auto pops back up after another "usb device not responding" message (weirdly), and loads everything again. It runs for another 30 seconds before repeating the process over again.

This happens like clockwork on those intervals for the whole drive while I have the phone plugged in. Usually on the 3rd time I just unplug my phone so it will stop going back to FM radio when AA fails, and just listen to Bluetooth.

I am not the most tech-savvy millennial, but I know how to set up apps and devices and navigate menus and such. This problem is beyond my knowledge base...

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Have you encountered it and found a fix? Any help is much appreciated...
Join the group, I got the latest software still happens 1or2 times a month, also replaced the cable with a better one, helped a little. I just reset pressing on/off and forward buttons hold down a few second resets radio till next time.

BostonMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Join the group, I got the latest software still happens 1or2 times a month, also replaced the cable with a better one, helped a little. I just reset pressing on/off and forward buttons hold down a few second resets radio till next time.
Check the background data and optimization settings for the apps you're using with Android Auto.

anblatt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Nissan Kicks SV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs