First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT, Ecoboost, AWD, FX4, 4K, Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, have I got good news for you! You can get one on eBay - even the super-cool "under dash mount" versions. Check them out here... They even have one with "Quadraphonic" sound!
That's crazy, who the hell still has any 8-track tapes to play in them? The tapes lasted about 6 months before they would get eaten by the machine and you would toss it out the window while driving...haha. I'm really dating myself but my very first car handed down from my parents was a 1970 Ford LTD and it had a Lear Jet 8-track player bolted to the transmission hump under the dash. I can still remember my sister playing Al Green 8-tracks in it.
Sponsored

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are parts of the US where AM is still popular despite the tunnel vision number crunchers. There is a small AM station in Calif that has a standby generator and when there is a disaster they broadcast 24-7 with current FACTS to help residents keep safe. Other news sources use them for info. KPRL has covered with accuracy earthquakes, fires, flooding and more.

Ottocycle

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' RS6 Avant, 14' CTS-V Wagon, 87' BMW 535is
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hate to break it to you OP but all car manufactures are going to drop AM sooner rather than later. Large cost saving not to have to a chipset in the radios for AM plus not having to have the wiring for the AM antenna. I personally still listen to my news and sports on AM but will just have to deal without it. Kinda like when they dropped 8 tracks, cassettes, CD's, & aux out.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Detroit papers in the comment sections when this was announced. Many posters felt it was a way to eliminate listening to right leaning talk shows. As Ford cares about ESG score almost as much as money. One could almost believe this. I know I know another conspiracy theory..lol

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you can't believe it, why post it?

Anyway, I listen to a couple AM sports/talk channels. But they are available on I-heart so I won't miss out.
I actually would have paid for a CD option. I still like to put in a CD and know that for 45 minutes or so I don't have to do anything but listen to music.....

Sponsored

WeBasic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's the 5G consortium trying to drag the sheep into their dystopian future filled with dangerous millimeter frequency.

Back in my day we had simple healthy American A.M. radio.

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a barebones XL order but would 100% non-ironically buy a higher trim if it came with a portable record player:
1680799398810.png
Now that I think about it... if somebody made a vehicle that plays vinyl without skipping while driving on the rural roads in my area I'd probably buy it too. I'd never use the turntable but would really enjoy the smooth ride.

Would be interesting to see some youtubers start drive testing with record players in the passenger seat. Are there new cars today that can pass the "LP test"?

Future Bus Driver

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 EV1
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Simple solution if you own a smartphone. A one time purchase of an App called "myTuner Radio Pro" (Appgeneration Software), connect your smartphone to the USB port in the Maverick. Now you gain access to more than 40,000 radio stations from 200 countries. There is no subscription either, so no recurring cost. Add stations you like to your favorites and make a custom list - easy peezie. If you enable location services, it will pull in stations that stream in your area. The app will display on the Maverick's touch screen as well, so you can interact with the app directly through the Maverick while your phone is connected.

Sponsored

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Transferred most of my CDs to a single 128 thumb drive. Works perfectly in my 2017 RAV4. Transportable to other cars with a USB input. Kind of like my Garmin. Universal.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Simple solution if you own a smartphone. A one time purchase of an App called "myTuner Radio Pro" (Appgeneration Software), connect your smartphone to the USB port in the Maverick. Now you gain access to more than 40,000 radio stations from 200 countries. There is no subscription either, so no recurring cost. Add stations you like to your favorites and make a custom list - easy peezie. If you enable location services, it will pull in stations that stream in your area. The app will display on the Maverick's touch screen as well, so you can interact with the app directly through the Maverick while your phone is connected.
But, but, but, doesn't this require considerable data usage? Not all of us need or are willing to pay for unlimited data plans, heck I probably average less than 1/2 GB a month. I'm not willing to spend an additional $30/month just because the "cool kids" want to push streaming down my throat.

HRG

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only things on AM radio are the oldies & hate radio, I do have 4 oldies AM stations in my area I listen to, if FM stations would play the same thing we wouldn't need the AM band anymore. It sure wouldn't be a deal breaker for buying a new vehicle though.

brandless

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, F150, F150, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm a Luddite when it comes to cars, cell phones and appliances; they just don't need all of the fancy tech and I don't want to have to pay for it.

But I won't miss AM radio if they decide to leave it out...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.