Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So the displacement limit appears to mean that your head should not move further than 100 mm (4 inches) beyond a broken side window pane when the side curtain air bag is deployed. The Mavericks in question would allow it to move 4.5 inches.
I’ve seen quite a few reports of problems after getting this fix.

Who knows if the newly installed bag will deploy at all, given the many reports of shoddy warranty work.

Given the small toleranc defect, and the potential for complete failure to deploy after the dealer mucks it up, I’m holding off.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Montevilla

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
Is this for the 2022, or the 2023 Maverick is included as well?

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The question is liability. If you don't get it done, are in an accident and someone dies, can they pin it on the airbags? If so, you open yourself to liability if Ford can prove they told you to get it fixed and you just brushed it off.

Given the margins at play here, that is doubtful, but I personally would not take the risk. If Ford is giving you an out to shift the blame back to them, I say take it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Montevilla

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
More useful info taken from this IIHS page. Appears that the side curtain airbags on the Mavericks in question would not be stiff enough to maintain displacement below 4 inches. This is of particular concern in a rollover with broken side window panes.

---------------------------

Side airbags

Head- and chest-protecting side airbags are designed to inflate in side crashes to prevent people's heads and chests from contacting intruding parts of vehicle side structure, a striking vehicle or an object such as a tree or pole. Side airbags cushion and spread the load of impacts to prevent any part of the body from sustaining concentrated impact forces.

A head-protecting side airbag is particularly important because it may be the only thing between the occupant's head and the striking vehicle, since window glass can shatter in a crash.

Because of the small space between an occupant and the side of the vehicle, side airbags must deploy very quickly, typically within the first 10-20 milliseconds of a side crash. Deployment thresholds can be as low as 8 mph for narrow object crashes (e.g., trees and poles) and 18 mph for the more widely distributed side impacts (vehicle-to-vehicle crashes). Side airbags also deploy in certain types of frontal crashes.

A federal regulation on side-impact protection requires a certain level of head and torso protection for all occupants. While it doesn't specifically mandate side airbags, the required protection is typically achieved with them. As of the 2014 model year, virtually all new passenger vehicles must comply with this regulation. As a result, the vast majority of passenger vehicles come with side airbags as standard equipment.

Ford Maverick Airbag recall: what's the real consequence of not having it done? ANSWERED side-airbag-comparison-screengrab
A head-protecting curtain airbag is often the only barrier between the dummy's head and the striking vehicle.

Rollover deployment of side airbags

Side curtain airbags can be designed to deploy in a rollover crash. Sensors that measure a vehicle's sideways movement and tilting can detect if a rollover is about to occur, triggering deployment. These airbags typically inflate within the first 10-20 milliseconds of a rollover crash and can remain inflated longer than regular side curtain airbags (10 or more seconds) to protect during multiple-roll crashes. They typically cover the window opening and inflate more stiffly to prevent ejection of the occupant.

The government doesn't specifically require side curtain airbags with this capability, but automakers have been using them to meet a requirement that all 2018 or newer vehicles prevent occupant ejection through side windows.

Ford Maverick Airbag recall: what's the real consequence of not having it done? ANSWERED Rollover-images
A side curtain airbag used to meet the federal safety standard to prevent occupant ejection remains inflated for more than 10 seconds, covering multiple rolls of the vehicle, and keeps occupants contained inside.

Last edited:

Gardner79

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick, 2017 Toyota Sienna
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

People who are smarter than truck owners on an internet forum determined it was a big enough safety concern to issue a very costly recall program at no cost to owners. That's enough for me to protect myself and my family. I would not listen to strangers on the internet over them when it comes to safety decisions for myself or my family when well trained people who do this for a living already gave me an answer, even if I don't like it. I cant imagine how I would feel If i lost a loved one or if I was killed and I could no longer provide for them because I was worried about a cosmetic issue or couldn't be bothered because it was a hassle.

For what its worth my recall went as smooth as can be with no issues, and got a Yeti to boot. Best of luck to you.
This. The science and engineering behind airbags is very detailed and complex. There has been a lot of analysis and testing over the years to get airbags as good as they are today in terms of effectiveness and safety. An airbag is powerful enough to do serious damage if it isnt implemented properly. Look at some of the horrific accidents people have survived. Just because something seems like a small number, it doesn't mean it isn't important. You don't want to find out the hard way that small number made a big difference in a particular situation.

glpuckett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FE Rapid Red 2.5L Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Got mine done last week and my dealer made sure to toke care of a couple of TSB''s & S/W updates. They provided me with a loaner car and had my Mav back the next day. Another positive was Ford sent me my Yeti Maverick Tumbler this week.

Ford Maverick Airbag recall: what's the real consequence of not having it done? ANSWERED Mav Yeti 1.JPG

glpuckett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FE Rapid Red 2.5L Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I know what happens if you do get it done :)

Yes, it does fit in the Front doors (snuggly). I have tried several different water bottles and this one is the best. The other ones fall out when you close the door, but so far this Yeti stays in the door.

Sponsored

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, it does fit in the Front doors (snuggly). I have tried several different water bottles and this one is the best. The other ones fall out when you close the door, but so far this Yeti stays in the door.
I tried and it did not want to fit there, maybe I didn’t force it enough but definitely did not seem like it was a good fit for that spot. I believe that’s why they specifically reference it being for the cup holder.

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had mine done , the shop when installing the airbags crimped the the wire harness, took 2 weeks to find the issue.. They had to tear out the dash, both the seats, center console..AND, the harness that I need is back ordered.
Going on 3 weeks now with no truck…

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had mine done , the shop when installing the airbags crimped the the wire harness, took 2 weeks to find the issue.. They had to tear out the dash, both the seats, center console..AND, the harness that I need is back ordered.
Going on 3 weeks now with no truck…
Stories like this is why I haven’t had it done on mine.

You don’t get compensated for loss of use. And you may get into a situation where the dealer refuses to accept responsibility for the damage they cause.

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Stories like this is why I haven’t had it done on mine.

You don’t get compensated for loss of use. And you may get into a situation where the dealer refuses to accept responsibility for the damage they cause.
Very frustrating, I have a gardening business which I have not been able to get to my clients..

Scout

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very frustrating, I have a gardening business which I have not been able to get to my clients..
I’m hoping the one positive thing is the service dept working on my truck( not the one that did the damage) is working with Ford tech, and also Ford customer service reached out to me via MTC, so there is documentation of what happened to me and hopefully others won’t have this happened to them…
Sponsored