Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Or even, while waiting for it to be done...should they be deployed in an accident before replacement.

Does anybody know what the issue really is in practical terms?

Looks like they work (taken from a FB post from an affected model):

Ford Maverick Airbag recall: what's the real consequence of not having it done? ANSWERED 338195584_765925815069004_1232018815752038890_n

The recall notice mentions that the "displacement" is off by 11.9 mm:

The displacement results for the front lower primary target was 111.9 mm which exceeds the federal regulation of 100 mm (source)
Yet, subsequent testing by Ford showed it was 102 and 107.3, so a little less, still more than 100. Ford also appears to have an internal threshold of 93 mm as its cut-off point.

So what does this half inch or so difference in "displacement" mean when looking at a deployed curtain as above?

My appointment is on hold while awaiting parts (been months now), but I'd like to better understand what the practical risk is in the meantime.

EDIT: Answer in this post. And oh yeah, the real consequence for some is not getting the Yeti. 🙄
Sponsored

Last edited:

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for posting this, it clarifies the issue that generated the airbag recall.

Looking at the picture a guess would be that the displacement is a measure of the depth the airbag inflates to. While I'm sure that the displacement limit was arrived at through testing and is worthwhile, I feel more comfortable now foregoing having the recall performed. (Along with the shutter/under cover recall.)

At least it's not a deployment failure.

Cheers.

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I'd have a concern, it would be when I went to sell it, or trade it in. There'd be an open recall if someone checked.
In real life? I don't much care

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looking at the picture a guess would be that the displacement is a measure of the depth the airbag inflates to.
It's a measure of how far the airbag allows an impactor applying a specified amount of force to move beyond the plane of the window.

For instance:

Sponsored

NormalPerson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
does anybody know what the issue really is in practical terms?
People who are smarter than truck owners on an internet forum determined it was a big enough safety concern to issue a very costly recall program at no cost to owners. That's enough for me to protect myself and my family. I would not listen to strangers on the internet over them when it comes to safety decisions for myself or my family when well trained people who do this for a living already gave me an answer, even if I don't like it. I cant imagine how I would feel If i lost a loved one or if I was killed and I could no longer provide for them because I was worried about a cosmetic issue or couldn't be bothered because it was a hassle.

For what its worth my recall went as smooth as can be with no issues, and got a Yeti to boot. Best of luck to you.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

People who are smarter than truck owners on an internet forum determined it was a big enough safety concern to issue a very costly recall program at no cost to owners. That's enough for me to protect myself and my family. I would not listen to strangers on the internet over them when it comes to safety decisions for myself or my family when well trained people who do this for a living already gave me an answer, even if I don't like it. I cant imagine how I would feel If i lost a loved one or if I was killed and I could no longer provide for them because I was worried about a cosmetic issue or couldn't be bothered because it was a hassle.

For what its worth my recall went as smooth as can be with no issues, and got a Yeti to boot. Best of luck to you.
Those were my thoughts. Ford and their suppliers didn't just randomly decide to manufacture 130,000 replacement airbags and pay for labor if it was no big deal.

Unfortunately, mine has not gone smoothly at all and I'm still waiting on next steps for the damage caused to my dash.

NormalPerson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately, mine has not gone smoothly
That is pretty shitty, and I am sorry to hear thats your experience. That to me is more on the dealer than Ford, and 100% should be made right. To me, that risk of dealing with that issue is worth the peace of mind knowing the potentially larger issue of a critical safety feature not working when I really need it. That calculus is a no brainer for me every day of the week. Id do it again tomorrow, and already made that decision once, knowing it could have been an issue, if it means having a safe vehicle for myself and my loved ones.

Again sorry you had a shitty experience. Its a great little truck and I hope you get it resolved.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That is pretty shitty, and I am sorry to hear thats your experience. That to me is more on the dealer than Ford, and 100% should be made right. To me, that risk of dealing with that issue is worth the peace of mind knowing the potentially larger issue of a critical safety feature not working when I really need it. That calculus is a no brainer for me every day of the week. Id do it again tomorrow, and already made that decision once, knowing it could have been an issue, if it means having a safe vehicle for myself and my loved ones.

Again sorry you had a shitty experience. Its a great little truck and I hope you get it resolved.
Truck might be great, but my experience with the service departments and Ford is the exact opposite. Whenever they call me back to replace the dash, it'll be my 20th visit to two dealers over the space of a year for the ticking windshield (now resolved, thanks to folks on here with zero help from Ford or the dealers), the airbag recall, and the marred plastics (separate from the dash damage this last go around).

Sponsored

Deleted member 14823

Exactly.

OP
OP
Montevilla

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The airbags do not comply with the FMVSS 226 Ejection Mitigation for front-row passengers. Here's a link to the FMVSS 226 standard.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/fmvss/ejection-mitigation
That's great, thanks. Here's what it says for those who are interested:
This displacement limit serves to control the size of any gaps forming between the ejection mitigation side curtain air bag and the window opening, thus reducing the potential for both partial and complete ejection of an occupant.
We proposed that the side windows next to the first three rows of seats be subject to performance requirements requiring the vehicle to have an ejection mitigation side curtain air bag that would prevent an 18 kg (40 lb) headform from moving more than 100 mm (4 inches) beyond the zero displacement plane of each window when the window is impacted.
So the displacement limit appears to mean that your head should not move further than 100 mm (4 inches) beyond a broken side window pane when the side curtain air bag is deployed. The Mavericks in question would allow it to move 4.5 inches...which would increase the risk of a head/neck injury in a side crash or rollover.

EDIT: Additional pertinent info on side airbags in this post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Montevilla

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a measure of how far the airbag allows an impactor applying a specified amount of force to move beyond the plane of a broken window.
Thanks, that video really makes it clear what it's all about.