Sponsored

After about 1400 miles am getting around 23.5 MPG

Valace2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
After reading what some others are getting, I was hoping for better, but trying to diagnose why mine is lower than most.

According to my cousin, I do accelerate off a stop a little harder than others, and to be honest I do when it turns green I go, I wouldn't consider myself a super aggressive driver though.

My morning commute is right around 24 miles, 2/3 of that is highway miles where I keep it between 70/80.

I have had 2 longer trips, one 100 miles and one 160 but other than my 50 mile round trip work commute its city miles.

I use 87 but as I have read gas doesn't really play that much into it. It is also just getting into winter and I'm sure heat use plays into it somehow, also my area isn't hilly at all.

Had a hard tri fold tonneau cover installed yesterday, reset the trip meter and filled the tank to see if it would make a difference to the mpg.

Coming from a Chevy Volt, I knew that I would be spending on gas again, but lower home electrical use would balance that a bit, and I was still using gas in the Volt.

Not super concerned about it, read that some poor guy was getting between 14-17 and I know mine isn't that bad, and perhaps its just my driving habits that are causing the lower than most MPG.
Sponsored

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
That honestly sounds about right given your driving style and typical commute.

I suspect those reporting higher MPG are primarily avoiding stop and go traffic, keeping hwy speeds closer to the 50-60 mph and also really taking it easy from a dead stop (Eco mode should help with this if you haven't tried that). I know you mentioned gas not playing much into it but I've read the opposite on here. Quite a few seem to praise 91 minimum, that's what I'll be using in mine as well.

OP
OP

Valace2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL

I suspect those reporting higher MPG are primarily avoiding stop and go traffic, keeping hwy speeds closer to the 50-60 mph and also really taking it easy from a dead stop (Eco mode should help with this if you haven't tried that). I know you mentioned gas not playing much into it but I've read the opposite on here. Quite a few seem to praise 91 minimum, that's what I'll be using in mine as well.
Not being a car guy, I'm just going off what I have read, higher octane gas might be better for the engine, burn a little cleaner, but doesn't really improve fuel economy, and at what .60 more a gallon will it really offset the cost. Wouldn't mind running better fuel through it though. How many tanks would I have to run through it to really get a good idea on whether it is improving things though.

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
Lots of report are off of the displayed mpg which can be 1 to 5 mpg off so I wouldn't give those numbers any weight. Also if you are going off of displayed mpg you might be getting better than displayed. The main thing is calculating actual mpg and average speed for that tank (mileage/time) .. Average speed will tell you what range of the mpg scale you should be in. Then you can determine if there's a problem and report data to dealer.

OP
OP

Valace2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL

an in Michigan you would probably be ticketed doing 50 down the highway LOL. They jumped the speed limit up to 75 on a lot of the major highways.

Sponsored

Cigargoyle

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FX4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm averaging @ 24, normal driving, with fx4 & 4k tow. 90% city driving. Can squeeze close to 28 out of it if I drive like an 80 year old, but no fun in that 😁.

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
:ROFLMAO: :(Even at 21-23, I'd still be happy. I'm averaging 16 right now.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Brand new truck, winter gas, cold temps, lots of city driving, fast starts......I'd say you're doing pretty well.

Next summer, dump a load of 93 in your tank, and head out for a nice country road cruise in that 50-60 mph range, and watch the magic happen. 🤠

OP
OP

Valace2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
:ROFLMAO: :(Even at 21-23, I'd still be happy. I'm averaging 16 right now.
:eek:

Coming from an electric plug in, the gas cost is a bit of a shock, I'm sure I will get used to it, and the fact I am less likely to die driving down my driveway, is a definite plus lol.

Sorry about the 16 :(

Sponsored

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
:eek:

Coming from an electric plug in, the gas cost is a bit of a shock, I'm sure I will get used to it, and the fact I am less likely to die driving down my driveway, is a definite plus lol.

Sorry about the 16 :(
That's alright. I didn't mean that as a slight to you. I understand where you're coming from.

I've owned a hybrid before, and while the gas savings were great, I still am a fan of the EcoBoost, so it was an easy choice for me.

Plus, the average dipped down to 15.8 on my Grand Cherokee this morning.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After reading what some others are getting, I was hoping for better, but trying to diagnose why mine is lower than most.

According to my cousin, I do accelerate off a stop a little harder than others, and to be honest I do when it turns green I go, I wouldn't consider myself a super aggressive driver though.

My morning commute is right around 24 miles, 2/3 of that is highway miles where I keep it between 70/80.

I have had 2 longer trips, one 100 miles and one 160 but other than my 50 mile round trip work commute its city miles.
I take it that you are using the paper method in calculating MPG's?

Example using gas receipt: Miles driven between fill-ups / gallons put in tank

A lot of those who are reporting better MPG's are over select shorter trips or using the onboard gauge (which may be too optimistic).

As for driving you and I are doing the same. I treat the green light as Get-up and GO. I don't peel the tires but I do accelerate from a stop to get up to the posted speed quickly then back off the accelerator and cruise at the posted speed limit. At that time most of the other vehicles that were in the other lanes (2-3 lane intersection) are pretty far behind.

On highways I go 3 MPH over the limit and am using cruise control. So 78 on a 75 MPH highway. All vehicles get less EPA rated MPG when traveling above 60-65 MPH. But I want to get to my destination as quickly as possible.

I will be taking possession of my Hybrid Maverick by next week. I will keep records of my MPG's on every fill-up and post my results over time. It will be interesting in comparing the differences as we both seem to drive the same way.

Last edited:

AnchorChain

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 XLT, 2019 Rav4
I have a Rav4 and i can get 32-35mpg hwy on 20” wheels. That’s at 70-75 mph and depends on winds. I got 38 mpg with the Steelies. I think that driving closer to 80mph is killing you and hard take offs. I think if you watch your acceleration better it will improve. I mean i could get 28mpg hwy in my 16 Mustang GT manual with 3.73 gears at over 70mph. You should be able to up that mpg with more patience

OP
OP

Valace2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL
After a trip south to Detroit, my mpg has ticked up quite a bit, averaging over 25 mpg. Pretty happy

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
Higher octane fuel results in lower fuel economy in theory. Fuel with higher octane (anti-knock index) is more resistant to predetonation from compression. This results in better ignition timing but detonates less completely because it spends less time burning in the cylinder.

Tonneau covers can reduce drag, but is proportional to speed and dependent on the design of your specific tonneau. If you spend a lot of time on the highway, you might see a difference (maybe 1 mpg at best). If you spend most of your time in city traffic or lower speed, it won't really do much. Just don't leave the tailgate down because that actually increases drag.
Sponsored