First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 CC XLT, 21 F150 RCSB, 22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ive made a lil headway. Waiting on my Bronco Sport rotary shifter with M (Manual Mode) before I can go any further but I have identified missing wiring that I will be adding back in and rechecking my pinout from the PCM to the GSM. Already toggled on the SST setting in the IPC that allows for paddle shifter upshift and paddle shifter downshift operation as well as programmed my Escape digital cluster to show PRNDM instead of the previous PRNDL. Will be looking at programming strategy to ensure there is no difference there. There may still be hope yet!

Ford Maverick Adding Paddle Shifters Screenshot_20220624-001603_Gallery
Sponsored

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Itā€™s fun modding vehicles but why paddle shifters?

I donā€™t get itā€¦

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Itā€™s fun modding vehicles but why paddle shifters?

I donā€™t get itā€¦
Ever tow anything? Holding gears manually prevents the trans from searching all over the place and almost always being in the wrong gear. Ask anyone that tows a lot if paddle shifters are beneficial or not. Besides...Race Truck!! :)

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ever tow anything? Holding gears manually prevents the trans from searching all over the place and almost always being in the wrong gear. Ask anyone that tows a lot if paddle shifters are beneficial or not. Besides...Race Truck!! :)
No Iā€™ve never towed anything in my 65 years on this planet, race truck?? My last truck was an F150 2005 FX4 with a a 4 inch lift and 35 inch tires that has probably seen more flight time than most entry level pilots.. I have slowed down a bit on flight time with my 2021 Ranger FX4 but really paddle shifters and Maverick as a race truck??? Reallyā€¦ Iā€™ve driven a few hyper cars in my days, the latest is a Ferrari 812 GTS but never could never keep up with the paddle shifters vs rpm.

So you think a quick shift is going to gain what?

BTW Iā€™ve hauled and towed more than you can imagine!!

I like the spirit but it seems wasted on a Maverickā€¦

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No Iā€™ve never towed anything in my 65 years on this planet, race truck?? My last truck was an F150 2005 FX4 with a a 4 inch lift and 35 inch tires that has probably seen more flight time than most entry level pilots.. I have slowed down a bit on flight time with my 2021 Ranger FX4 but really paddle shifters and Maverick as a race truck??? Reallyā€¦ Iā€™ve driven a few hyper cars in my days, the latest is a Ferrari 812 GTS but never could never keep up with the paddle shifters vs rpm.

the maverick is a car chassis.

it weighs about 150lbs more than a 400z.

paddle shifters would allow for - more control on full throttle accel. it would allow for more control during cornering. more sporty overall.

Sponsored

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well I know Iā€™m excited, and I never tow anything
Not having control of what gear Iā€™m in (and not knowing what gear Iā€™m in) seems really weird to me

Also #racetruck lol

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Seriously? It was injected humor. It's not a debate or life comparison. Lol it's ok to have a bit of fun.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Frankly it probably is since the Maverick 2.0L ecoboost uses a CVT transmission and unless the CVT in the Maverick is designed to work like a gear based transmission adding paddle shifters is not going to bring anything to the table but most likely a blown out transmission earlier in it's life cycle and a multi thousand dollar replacement bill that will not be covered under the warranty. With that said your truck, your decision and all the advantages and problems that go along with modifications of it.

CVTs in the main will seek the best gear ratio because they are usually pulley based. You force it out of the best ratio as the system is designed you'll almost certainly overheat an already prone to overheating transmission if you do it long enough. You also most likely have to change the tranny fluid much more often when do this.

edit. my bad the Ecoboost has an 8 speed transmission not an CVT. The hybrid has a CVT.

Last edited:

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Frankly it probably is since the Maverick 2.0L ecoboost uses a CVT transmission and unless the CVT in the Maverick is designed to work like a gear based transmission adding paddle shifters is not going to bring anything to the table but most likely a blown out transmission earlier in it's life cycle and a multi thousand dollar replacement bill that will not be covered under the warranty. With that said your truck, your decision and all the advantages and problems that go along with modifications of it.

CVTs in the main will seek the best gear ratio because they are usually pulley based. You force it out of the best ratio as the system is designed you'll almost certainly overheat an already prone to overheating transmission if you do it long enough. You also most likely have to change the tranny fluid much more often when do this.
I dunno what the hybrid version uses but the 2.0 ecoboost uses an 8spd auto, not a CVT.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I dunno what the hybrid version uses but the 2.0 ecoboost uses an 8spd auto, not a CVT.
I just double checked and you are correct. I was under the the impression both engines came with a CVT transmission. Only the hybrid has the CVT. My original statement still stands but amended only to hybrid engine builds.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just double checked and you are correct. I was under the the impression both engines came with a CVT transmission. Only the hybrid has the CVT. My original statement still stands but amended only to hybrid engine builds.
You're still incorrect that the hybrid CVT is pulley based. The powersplit eCVT design is planetary gear based; no belt or pulleys.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you know if paddles will give you full control or is the system still going to override and take over when pushing it? That's always been my biggest gripe with paddles or any semi auto system. You can never really push it like a manual.

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you know if paddles will give you full control or is the system still going to override and take over when pushing it? That's always been my biggest gripe with paddles or any semi auto system. You can never really push it like a manual.
It is full control meaning the trans wont upshift until you do in manual mode.. in normal mode you will be able to lock out gears but the trans will otherwise upshift before you redline. BUT no one is going to like what you have to do to enable them. I'll share when I'm finished. It's intrusive.

MankDeems

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 ranger 4X4 XLT, 04 Mazda6, 17 ninja300
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bumping this thread, any headway? mine has been built and is waiting to ship, I've been driving a 99 ranger XLT with a 5 speed for 3 years now and will do anything to prevent going forward.

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Bumping this thread, any headway? mine has been built and is waiting to ship, I've been driving a 99 ranger XLT with a 5 speed for 3 years now and will do anything to prevent going forward.
Been really busy so I haven't had much time to work this out but I think I can work in some time next weekend. Most, if not all, will be extremely surprised by what needs to be done. I cannot say this part enough. According to my initial research, which I trust... this is a more "involved" upgrade. No idea why Ford went to such great lengths to ensure this was as difficult as gathering pee from a T-Rex. šŸ˜ž
Sponsored