Sponsored

Acoustic Windshield Delamination

PFor

2.0L EcoBoost
New member
First Name
Pam
Joined
Aug 2, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
Ontario
Vehicle(s)
2026 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a 2026 Maverick Lariat and the windshield looks like it has cracking or webbing on it, but it is smooth and has no chips or pits. I googled it and found "If it looks like a web or haze of cracks but the surface is completely smooth, you are likely looking at delamination or PVB interlayer failure." It's going back to a dealer to be investigated. I'm interested in feedback from anyone else who has experienced this.
Sponsored

 
OP
OP

PFor

2.0L EcoBoost
New member
First Name
Pam
Joined
Aug 2, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
Ontario
Vehicle(s)
2026 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't get a good photo of it because it is most prominent in bright sunlight.
 

AzLariat

2.5L Hybrid
Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
5
Reaction score
12
Location
Arizona
Vehicle(s)
2025 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've got a lot of 1/4"-3/8" horizontal cracks in my upper windshield. I only see the driver's side but they show up when I'm heading directly into the sun. The lower part is not in the sun so I can't see. This is on a non-Ford replacement windshield. I was thinking the replacement perhaps does not have the lamination, but I guess I can rule that out of the OEM windshield does the same thing. I agree that is is a bit distressing.
 

Glen Baker LLC

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2024
Threads
32
Messages
8,616
Reaction score
15,670
Location
Central Nevada & Utah
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last edited:

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Sep 17, 2022
Threads
62
Messages
5,060
Reaction score
10,934
Location
Alabama
Vehicle(s)
2025 Expedition Max Platinum; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Designed to prevent ejection so it is easier for first responders to collect your non-restrained, crumpled body from the dash rather than having to hunt the side of the road for all of the pieces.
 

tpollauf

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jan 15, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
234
Reaction score
346
Location
Toledo/Port Clinton, Ohio
Vehicle(s)
1992 F-150, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT, 2026 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs
 
I've already had some close calls in the few months of Mav ownership, to where I'm anticipating somewhere in the future, having a windshield replacement. WHEN that time comes, what "choices" would us owners have when it comes to a new windshield? Ford OEM, or the Safelite generic ones, or whatever else is out there??? State Farm is my insurer & I have the acoustic windshield. Would like to know the best route to take if/when it happens. Thanks
 

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
Well-known member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Sep 17, 2022
Threads
62
Messages
5,060
Reaction score
10,934
Location
Alabama
Vehicle(s)
2025 Expedition Max Platinum; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've already had some close calls in the few months of Mav ownership, to where I'm anticipating somewhere in the future, having a windshield replacement. WHEN that time comes, what "choices" would us owners have when it comes to a new windshield? Ford OEM, or the Safelite generic ones, or whatever else is out there??? State Farm is my insurer & I have the acoustic windshield. Would like to know the best route to take if/when it happens. Thanks
Safelite will replace the OEM with a comparable. That included acoustic glass on my Maverick, because that is what I had before. If I didn't know it was Safelite, there would be no way to tell the difference.
 

KO Stradivarius

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
May 3, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
195
Reaction score
358
Location
The Disputed Lands
Vehicle(s)
'25 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've already had some close calls in the few months of Mav ownership, to where I'm anticipating somewhere in the future, having a windshield replacement. WHEN that time comes, what "choices" would us owners have when it comes to a new windshield? Ford OEM, or the Safelite generic ones, or whatever else is out there??? State Farm is my insurer & I have the acoustic windshield. Would like to know the best route to take if/when it happens. Thanks
This sounds like a supplier quality issue. Obviously the glass should not delaminate. I wouldn’t expect any problems with getting it replaced via warranty.

As Glen stated, all windshields are two layers of glass laminated with vinyl in between, in order to retain the occupants in a frontal crash.

The term “Acoustic Windshield” is interesting. I’ve seen this term used for extra thick windshields. I was unaware that some Mavericks have it.
 
Last edited:
Sponsored

KO Stradivarius

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
May 3, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
195
Reaction score
358
Location
The Disputed Lands
Vehicle(s)
'25 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Safelite will replace the OEM with a comparable. That included acoustic glass on my Maverick, because that is what I had before. If I didn't know it was Safelite, there would be no way to tell the difference.
I live in AZ so I have had many windshields replaced. Safelite is usually quite good. The dealer will just send out the car to a glass shop anyway.

I’ve been asked before if I would like an OEM Ford w/shield or a comparable aftermarket part. Apparently my insurance covers either.

I would typically say get the OEM part but one should ask what the thicknesses are for each. Thicker is better. Also, sometimes there may be a longer lead time for one or the other depending on what’s in stock.
 

AzLariat

2.5L Hybrid
Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
5
Reaction score
12
Location
Arizona
Vehicle(s)
2025 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My windshield was replaced by Safelite under a State Farm policy. It's a FUYAO brand and it specifically mentions Acoustic glass in the MFR label. My mention above about the many short cracks led me to believe it's an inferior product, but the initial post indicates the OEM windshield does the same thing. I originally thought of stress in the glass during a bending process but it seems these windshields are pretty flat.
 

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
Will
Joined
Apr 25, 2022
Threads
10
Messages
607
Reaction score
1,213
Location
Poconos
Vehicle(s)
1995 F-250, 2011 Rogue, 2012 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs
 
I would take my chances with an aftermarket one. When my 22 was totaled, the insurance adjuster took money off for a pitted windshield. And there are many stories on here about how soft the oem glass seems to be.
 

ricwan

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
First Name
rick
Joined
Jul 13, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
48
Reaction score
38
Location
Williamsburg va
Vehicle(s)
2026 maverick lariat and, 2025 honda civic type r
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs
 
I have a 2026 Maverick Lariat and the windshield looks like it has cracking or webbing on it, but it is smooth and has no chips or pits. I googled it and found "If it looks like a web or haze of cracks but the surface is completely smooth, you are likely looking at delamination or PVB interlayer failure." It's going back to a dealer to be investigated. I'm interested in feedback from anyone else who has experienced this.
I had windshield protection film installed on my 26 lariat a couple months ago and, only afterwards noticed what looks like subtle hairlines scratches, one about 6" long and several smaller marks. took it back to the installer as the film also was 'bubbly' and I mentioned the 'scratches' to him. the film was reinstalled and came out perfectly. except the 'scratches' remained. I didn't complain any further, as you said, only visible when hit by the sun at some angle. now I believe you might be on to something. I'll check with my dealer asap. I know they'll try to blame the w/s film...
 

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2021
Threads
21
Messages
4,129
Reaction score
6,770
Location
British Columbia, Canada
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs
 
I would take my chances with an aftermarket one. When my 22 was totaled, the insurance adjuster took money off for a pitted windshield. And there are many stories on here about how soft the oem glass seems to be.
Must be a lot of production variation. No pitting or cracks at all on my 22 XLT's window, even with a number of stone hits, time behind dump trucks that won't use the covers, and such.
Sponsored

 
 







Top