First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
An exhaust could be enough grounds for a claim denial. Especially if we are talking something like a turbo back exhaust which reduces back pressure and thus changes the dynamics of the turbocharger. One could potentially make that claim even with a catback exhaust.

Act language
The performance of the duties under subsection (a) shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer product to conform with a written warranty,

Maverick Warranty Guide
"Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by: • alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company"

Right there, you are not conforming to a written warranty when you alter your vehicle. Because Ford says damage caused by alteration or modification of the vehicle.

Let us have an analogy. So say you install a turboback exhaust and after 1k miles you spin a bearing. Your engine is done. A $7000 repair. That will require the dealership to get approval from Ford HQ. And dealership will probably not an aftermarket exhaust. And then the claim will be denied. They do not have to show proof to deny a claim. You can then ask and they they will write why you were denied. And someone will draft you up a very nice, legal response why you were denied a claim.

You can sue, maybe go to arbitration or something, they have good engineers and lawyers to explain why a turboback exhaust will decrease turbo response time, to an extent the ECU cannot compensate by limiting load by say closing the throttle or increasing waste gate duty cycle, quickly enough. And that increased load is beyond factory limits leading to increased load on the oil film between the crank and rod bearing for which it was not designed for. You the consumer do not have the resources, nor are you very smart, and the denial in your claim is upheld.

I've modified cars, I've made factory cars run low 11's. If you want to modify, you need to know that modification can absolutely result in a claim denial especially if there is a pretty clear dependency on the modification leading to increased stress on whatever broke.
They still need to provide proof that the modification has caused failure of the part under warranty, it all depends on the dealership I find and who you deal with , but if one is worried about warranty I say don't mod the vehicle.
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They still need to provide proof that the modification has caused failure of the part under warranty, it all depends on the dealership I find and who you deal with , but if one is worried about warranty I say don't mod the vehicle.
Yeah because proving it requires you to go through the appeal process and win.

It's really pretty simple - if you want to be sure your warranty applies, don't do anything more than cosmetic modifications.

Deerslayer1980

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any issues with the level kit after getting it fixed? I see it's been a while. I'd like to get the 1" level.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I installed a Ford Rangers Lift 2” lift kit myself when my truck had less then 100 miles on it. I changed the oil at 5k miles and checked everything around the cv axle/joint/boot.

Everything is still good.

If I was a betting man your cv boot got a small tear during install and progressively got worse till it failed. Although boots can fail straight from the factory also.

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You have to grind the front shocks to install a lift kit just so you know. It voids the warranty on the shocks as well

Sponsored

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They are ALWAYS going to try to sell you the whole axle. All cv boots are replaceable. Your dealer sounds like a bunch of idiots.
It maybe available through the aftermarket, but Ford's catalog does not list an available CV boot for the Maverick.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After taking my Maverick in for the second oil change and service at ~11k miles, I was told I have a leaking front axle boot.

I was then told that the axle replacement is not covered under warranty due to my having installed a front end lift/level kit. I had the lift installed professionally by an installer that does work for many of the local dealers.

During the purchase process, most of our communications were via text. Included in those texts was me asking if a lift would void my warranty and the answer was a clear “NO”.

However, I’m now looking at a $800 repair for a complete axle and boot replacement.

Fortunately my lift kit company has a guarantee that if any issues arise after an installation of their kit, repairs will be paid for by them, minus a $100 deductible.

While trying to extract a detailed estimate from the dealer service center that originally called out the repairs, I contacted the State of California Bureau of Automotive Repairs (BAR), just to ask about what constitutes a legal estimate.

In my conversation with the BAR representative, he instructed me to file a complaint with BAR immediately. The BAR rep stated that they have dealt with dealerships disallowing similar warranty claims in the past and they will investigate my claim.

I was also told that due to the fact that this is a new vehicle that there may be quality issues that have not come to light yet. Apparently there are reports of front axle leaks and replacements coming through already.

For my situation, except for $100 and the inconvenience of not having my truck for a week or two while we wait for the part(s) arrive in So Cal from Detroit, the cost of my repairs are covered.

I don’t know if I will keep my lift on at this point. My dealer has flagged me for denial of any further warranty repairs due to my lift.

I will update as I hear back from BAR or Ford as they too have requested information about my case.
Sorry if this has already been asked but, does the new Tremor have a lift? If so, does it use different or special axles?

Ford Maverick $800 Front Axle Replacement 1667395731015

Last edited:

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner 4x4, 2003 Tacoma PreRun, 2005 Liberty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2022 XL AWD OffRoad package and had the 2" Rough Country lift installed by 4 Wheel Parts.
After 3000 miles, the dealership is telling me that the lift kit voided the warranty and the front axles require replacing. I was explicitly asked the warranty people and have a note on my warranty that a lift would NOT void my warranty but the service people are denying it. The Ford service rep is now double-checking with the sales manager -
If it truly caused the issue then I will go at 4 Wheel Parts but if it's just a Ford axel issue - how to tell??

I'm starting to wish I had stayed with Toyota. I love the little truck but it is way to short and if you can't put a lift on.... well, WTF>>>

Bald Eagle

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Quitman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds typical. I have seen a few complaints of leaking axles, but Ford will always blame the lift kits. It’s an easy way to avoid fixing something that is likely their fault. Even at a continuous angle the boot shouldn’t have ripped. It also kills me how pricey the CV axles are.
Use a remanufactured CV axle, just as good and cost is usually less than 1/2 the cost of an OE axle.
your noise and boot grease leakage is most likely due to the over extension of the angle of your axle due to the lift kit. This is a common problem with CV type axles that have lift kits.

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner 4x4, 2003 Tacoma PreRun, 2005 Liberty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My experience is the dealer is blaming the lift and 4 Wheel Parts has replaced the axle and it STILL has a horrid vibration. Returned to stock height and no change. Everyone is scratching their heads.
My truck has been sitting at the dealership that 4WP performs their 3rd party mods for over 2 weeks waiting for an opening...

At this point, my first concern is what is wrong with the truck!?!??

I am skeptical that a 2" level destroyed an axle in 5k miles but I'm willing to go with that.
But they will need to convince me with logic on how it caused damage beyond that causing the vibration I'm experiencing.
I will also pursue my extended warranty covering any issues because it IS NOTED there that the suspension was modified.

Sponsored

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am skeptical that a 2" level destroyed an axle in 5k miles but I'm willing to go with that.
But they will need to convince me with logic on how it caused damage beyond that causing the vibration I'm experiencing.
One possible explanation is that the tech installing the lift didn't understand how the CV axle works. If the tech pulled on the shaft to remove or disengage the axle, he may well have dislodged the bearings in the booted section of the axle. I'm not sure why there would still be vibration after installing a new axle unless, again, it wasn't installed correctly.

When I had my shop, we repaired a couple of 4WP lift installations.

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did they prove it? Where in the Ford warranty does it specifically state lifting or lowering will void the warranty? Did you quote the Magnuson act? Just curious what testing they did, what certified and degreed engineer they used that told you that the lift caused the boot leak?
Quoting Magnuson act has about as much power as quoting Shakespeare. You would have to go to court either hiring a lawyer or representing yourself to have the warranty enforced.
Risk is assumed when modifying the vehicle. OP asked the right question of dealer before lift kit was installed. Even if a dealer service dept. is mod friendly they may change their approach if Ford cracks down on them and withholds warranty funds.
We don't know if the part was defective or failed due to lift install. Thankfully the installer is backing their work and replacing the CV for a deductible.

Modifying vehicle improves the ownership experience for some owners, just understand the implications to warranty.

I've installed a performance chip on past vehicle I owned. I did it once I was out of bumper to bumper warranty for reason that it was well known the dealer and manufacturer would void anything powertrain related due to ECU modification. Of course the chip manufacturer said I was protected by Magnusson Moss. 🙄

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Quoting Magnuson act has about as much power as quoting Shakespeare. You would have to go to court either hiring a lawyer or representing yourself to have the warranty enforced.
Risk is assumed when modifying the vehicle. OP asked the right question of dealer before lift kit was installed. Even if a dealer service dept. is mod friendly they may change their approach if Ford cracks down on them and withholds warranty funds.
We don't know if the part was defective or failed due to lift install. Thankfully the installer is backing their work and replacing the CV for a deductible.

Modifying vehicle improves the ownership experience for some owners, just understand the implications to warranty.

I've installed a performance chip on past vehicle I owned. I did it once I was out of bumper to bumper warranty for reason that it was well known the dealer and manufacturer would void anything powertrain related due to ECU modification. Of course the chip manufacturer said I was protected by Magnusson Moss. 🙄
Agree with this. Magnuson - Moss is a great tool for the consumer. It had helped keep manufacturers in check in a big picture. Also good if a dealer tries to say they won't service a radio because of after market wheels.

But the statement that a manufacturer had to prove the modification caused the issue is silly. If a modification could reasonably been the cause, like a lift and resulting Axle / Boot, they can withhold service. It would fall in the consumer to prove it wasn't the root cause not vice versa.
Sponsored