jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I asked my dealership, how they got it topped off so quickly at delivery time, and he told me they actually have the dealership complex (there's 6-7 dealers side-by-side) have their own pump for 87 octane, and they use a special card to activate it. For vehicles that require higher octane, they go to a local station (there's a lot fewer of those). I thought that was pretty cool.
Just depends on the dealer. Some will do enough volume and have their own underground gasoline storage tank. Others will rely on local stations. In your case, where one operator runs a half dozen dealerships, that's probably enough volume to justify it. If you're only refueling a handful of cars a day, it may not be worth the expense and liability.

Interestingly, I just looked up the state database which shows that dealer I most recently ordered from does have one, which I did not know. Though, technically, that could be for motor oil for all I know.. Also looks like it might be "inactive" now. Huh.

Same thing with other large fleet operators. School districts and municipal complexes often do have their own tanks. All the Amazon vans from the last mile delivery facility in town, meanwhile, seem to refuel at a nearby super center's gas station. Conveniently for them, they also use the Firestone shop next door.
Sponsored

Last edited:

johnpbrewer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm noticing more and more people have a really good, if not best ever miles traveled on their FIRST tank of gas. Myself included.

Why do you think that is?
I mean, for the first week I didn't even know about mode changes or the EV coach and blue bar.

Maybe (probably?) it comes from the factory with ethanol free gas?

Could it also be fuel trim is running "lean" the first few hundred miles?

Oh the things I would measure if I could do it all over again...
I'm not going to care as much on my second tank. LOL. I've been gentle, trying to coax every extra mile out. This tank has mostly been to and from work (on back roads) and around town, on back roads and city streets. The times I've been on the highway, it has been pretty congested. Tomorrow will be the first true highway action. Just crossed 50mpg. I'll see how much that drops in the next 100 miles.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Aren't the EPA window sticker figures based on ethanol free gas?

So people beating EPA Sticker with 10% ethanol (most common fuel) are really doing well.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Aren't the EPA window sticker figures based on ethanol free gas?

So people beating EPA Sticker with 10% ethanol (most common fuel) are really doing well.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml

Do EPA fuel economy estimates account for the use of ethanol blends that are common today?

EPA's test fuel does not currently contain any ethanol or other oxygenates, but EPA does adjust their estimates to account for the impact of low-level ethanol blends. Ethanol contains about one-third less energy per gallon than gasoline. So, a car operating on 10% ethanol would achieve about 3% lower fuel economy than it would on 100% gasoline. EPA currently reduces all fuel economy test values by about 10% to account for ethanol in gasoline and other factors such as wind, hills, and road conditions.
Later this decade, EPA is phasing-in a requirement to change our federal emissions test fuel to include 10% ethanol by volume.
For more on EPA fuel economy tests, visit Questions and Answers: Fuel Economy Testing and Labeling
Ford Maverick 600 Miles Per Tank Hybrid Maverick club icon_pd

Why don't EPA fuel economy tests use ethanol-blended gasoline now that most gasoline contains ethanol?

Later this decade, EPA is phasing-in a requirement to change our federal emissions test fuel to include 10% ethanol by volume.
For more on EPA fuel economy tests, visit Questions and Answers: Fuel Economy Testing and Labeling
Ford Maverick 600 Miles Per Tank Hybrid Maverick club icon_pd

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Same thing with other large fleet operators. School districts and municipal complexes often do have their own tanks. All the Amazon vans from the last mile delivery facility in town, meanwhile, seem to refuel at a nearby super center's gas station. Conveniently for them, they also use the Firestone shop next door.
And apparently, the competition for that "fleet" business is pretty intense. They give Amazon a significant discount or they take the business elsewhere. That's a LOT of gas!

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Neat gasoline: 116,000 btu / US Gal
Butane: 102,600 btu / US Gal
Ethanol: 76,330 btu / US Gal

Summer and Winter can have 10% ethanol.

Summer can have 2% butane.
Winter can have 10% butane.

Winter: 10% ethanol+ 10% butane + 80% gas: Nets 110,693 btu and 95% MPG.

Summer: 10% ethanol+ 2% butane + 88% gas: Nets 111,765 btu and 96% MPG.

Neat Gas: 100% gas: Nets 100% MPG

Winter is lower by 1% not related to cold!

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Neat gasoline: 116,000 btu / US Gal
Butane: 102,600 btu / US Gal
Ethanol: 76,330 btu / US Gal
That is a nice reminder of the energy losses. So to really come out ahead, back-of-the-napkin calculations should factor in costs savings versus efficiency losses. aka. "nothing is free".

Around here (in the Midwest), lots of stations carry 88 @ 15% ethanol alongside 87, so even higher MPG loss with 88 but for an additional $.10-.20/gal savings.

A tank of 88 might cost $44 and change instead of almost $47 with 87. That could add up to a "free" lunch every month.

But 88's energy loss is another 2-3% (if my quick math is right). The cost savings at the pump is around 3-4%. Those 2 percentages overlap so it might be a Net 0 wash out. No "free" lunch.

I guess my point is: I'm waiting for someone to run Premium all the time to max out their Hybrid MPGs :)

I usually get 500-550 miles on a tank. That's damn good for living out in the country.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Dang it, I forgot to take the picture before I refueled (long line at Costco)... But I put 12.9 gallons in it, and the "real" mpg was 48.0. That's about 80% city and 20% highway driving, same as the previous tank of gas, where I averaged "only" 42.8 mpg – before I understood how to use Slippery mode.

Since new, my onboard computer had over-estimated fuel mileage by 2-3 mpg, so I used the "engineering test mode" to adjust the AFE bias to correct that. Apparently, I over-corrected, and will need to take out some of that correction, since the onboard computer is now reporting 1.8 mpg less than actual...

Ford Maverick 600 Miles Per Tank Hybrid Maverick club IMG_8369

Given the fact that I had at 0.9 gallon left "before empty" when I refueled the tank, I could have gone at least another 43.2 miles, for a total of 662.3 on this tank. I'm starting to get the hang of this.

JMKE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just filled up for the first time in my '23 Hybrid XL. I picked it up from the dealer with a full tank of gas.
I put in 14.2 gallons and had 644.2 miles on the trip meter for an average of 45.37 mpg!
I was only getting about 17.5 mpg with my '02 highlander, so this is a huge upgrade!
Ford Maverick 600 Miles Per Tank Hybrid Maverick club PXL_20230527_192054500

Sponsored

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Woo hoo joined the club! 2023 Lariat Lux Hybrid with BAP. Filled up 13.9 gallons so actual MPG was 43.87. Temp has been in the mid 60's in So Cal. Seat heater on almost all the time drove in normal mode with sunroof open and rear sliding glass open on and off the freeway. I have a hard trifold tonneau installed. Hyper miled when convenient but stepped on the gas when needed. Hauled a dozen loads about 500 lbs per with a few having exposed boxes tied down with ratchet straps. Base commute is about 35 miles half of which was on freeway. Fuel was Costco 87.

Ford Maverick 600 Miles Per Tank Hybrid Maverick club 20230607_173542

tired comet

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not in the 600 mile club so far but I can see it happening.
527 miles on the first tank from the dealer. Mav said it had another 25 miles until empty. I replaced 13.6 gallons during the first fill up.
If I drove a bit slower on the highway, not quite as much in the City and wasn't pulling a trailer at various times I could see 600 being fairly achievable.
Much better than the guy at Menards lamenting about his 13 mpg Silverado

TonyTee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tonytrafficlight.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid, 2023 iRacing F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I love my truck!!!

Had it since 4/30/23. This will be the 3rd time i've filled it up since I Got it.

Ford Maverick 600 Miles Per Tank Hybrid Maverick club PXL_20230612_212735660
Sponsored