Sponsored

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
I am doing mostly highway or mixed. City only supposedly is rated i think 25 MPG so if that is the case the hybrid maybe the better option in that case if gas usage is an issue.
I do do more running around city and hauling stuff in the city, so maybe. I still would have loved an AWD though, its my only regret about the Hybrid.
Sponsored

Mavapa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I received my Maverick back in November. The build was an XL model, 2.0l ecoboost engine, AWD and 4k tow package. Extras I've added so far are the Ford OEM weather mats for the front and back seats, a Truxedo Truxport soft Tonneau cover and lined the bed / tailgate with a 4 ft x 6 ft horse stall mat they sell at Tractor Supply.

5000+ miles in my personal observations so far.

Truck handles great, I live out in the sticks and have to drive roads that have hairpin turns up in the mountains and the AWD and traction control making handling much easier than driving these roads without in my other truck which is a 1991 Ford F150. To put things in perspective that F150 the bed is rated for 1000lbs while the Maverick is 1500lbs. I've also hauled over 1000 lbs of brick and mortar and concrete mix in the Maverick and it had no problem doing 60 and no sway on back end when accelerating on flat straight roads. Bed is well thought out and can fit all your standard housing building supplies like doors, windows, plywood and sheet rock in the bed with no issues as long as you keep the tailgate down.

edit I forgot to mention the headlights.
The led headlights are great especially on roads with no street lights. They work really well in heavy fog also, I can drive in thick as soup fog at night and have as good visibility as halogens with the high beam on in low beam with these headlights. The adaptive high beam is a nice feature also but can be annoying especially when things like the light reflecting of guard rails triggers them off when they should otherwise stay on.

From a work truck perspective it so far has punched well above it's weight class and with a trailer to overcome the shortcomings of having a smaller bed it in my opinion is a functional as any newer Ranger or F150 on the market right now.

From a non work truck perspective this not your daddy's Ford and is a utilitarian millennial mobile. You want creature comforts buy the higher trim levels, if you want a budget priced driver or small work truck the XL will fit the bill. Me personally I value utility over comfort and the truck delivers in that regard.

Gas mileage, what I've noticed is longer haul drives highway or mixed highway I average according to the cluster display about 31 - 32 MPG. Shorter hauls about 30 - 31 MPH. I use the normal drive mode since when using the eco mode I've noticed no appreciable gain in MPG. City so far I've averaged 28 - 29 MPG. Gas usage when I fill it fill I top off up to an extra gallon and have been consistently get 460 miles travelled before I refill, that is about when the low gas warning pops up. Other things is the MPG tends drop by about 1 MPG when I drive in cold weather 39F or lower and the MPG drops to 28 - 29 MPG when I have about 500lbs or more in the bed.

Annoyances, the gas cover, it pops open all the time when you slam the tailgate or jar the bed when loading materials. The reverse camera is built into the tailgate and points down when opened. That is when you need it the most with a loaded bed and tailgate down when backing up. The rear view mirror doesn't give full coverage of the back window. They couldn't have put a wider stock mirror in?

Overall I am satisfied with the truck so far and would recommend it to others.
The backup camera situation is true for pretty much all pickups. My 2017 Silverado had exactly the same problem. There’s really no good place to put the camera other than on the tailgate.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The backup camera situation is true for pretty much all pickups. My 2017 Silverado had exactly the same problem. There’s really no good place to put the camera other than on the tailgate.
I've been backing up small trucks for years without one so it is not a big issue but it would help alot and make it easier for someone less experienced if it did work especially when you have wood or anything sticking out a couple of feet past the tailgate.

Last edited:

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man.. I almost regret getting the Hybrid now and not getting the ecoboost. I just assumed the MPG wasnt that good so I didnt go for it. Thats totally reasonable for a AWD vehicle IMO based on what you are saying.
It all depends on your usage. I am getting more in the 22-24 MPG range. I do A LOT of city driving and stop/go highway driving. Hybrid would get me 40 MPG in that scenario. But for people who do lots of straight out highway driving and easy on the throttle, they can do over 30 MPG. My best highway trip is around 29, and I have upgraded/upsized heavy AT tires resisting.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It all depends on your usage. I am getting more in the 22-24 MPG range. I do A LOT of city driving and stop/go highway driving. Hybrid would get me 40 MPG in that scenario. But for people who do lots of straight out highway driving and easy on the throttle, they can do over 30 MPG. My best highway trip is around 29, and I have upgraded/upsized heavy AT tires resisting.
Exactly in my situation I don't do much city or stop and go driving but the few times I have I still get around 27 MPG according to instrument cluster. If it is a short duration it will read about 25 - 26 but longer time period it eventually moves back up to 27ish on the MPG. Same with highway it reads lower on shorter runs but longer drives it ticks up and multiple shorter drives it eventually tricks back up to 31 - 32 when I get near empty on a full tank.

Ultimately the best gauge is to calculate it yourself with pen and paper from a fill up.

TXM2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FWD ECO Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My FWD 2.0 has only 1000miles but I drive highway 80% and cannot get anything higher than
26.5mpg.

@Maverick2022XL, what speeds do you usually drive? I do 70-80mph. And, per your experience, do you think mine should improve? I'm a little disappointed.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My FWD 2.0 has only 1000miles but I drive highway 80% and cannot get anything higher than
26.5mpg.

@Maverick2022XL, what speeds do you usually drive? I do 70-80mph. And, per your experience, do you think mine should improve? I'm a little disappointed.
Depends but usually 60 - 80 on main US highways and such. When I first got it the MPG read lower but I suspect it is because of the way it does the calculations plus you are still breaking in the engine. The more mileage you travel the more accurate it should get. Simple way to tell if it is off or not, next tank fill up top it off an extra gallon then reset the trip counter. You should be able to get to about 460 miles travelled before the low gas warning comes on. If you do and it is still reading under 30 MPG then the calculation is off. It should eventually correct itself or you can manually adjust that by putting the cluster into the engineering test mode. Once in test mode you can adjust that using what is called the AFE bias aftering doing a real world pen and paper calculation vs what the cluster is reading.

See here for how to do it
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...rick-engineering-test-mode-how-to-enter.5672/

Mikee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger, 2015 Elantra, 2006 Lotus Elise
26.5mpg.

Speed kills(gas mileage). The difference in aerodynamic drag going from 70 to 80 is 30%. Now drag isn’t the sole determinator of mileage at highway speeds but it’s a significant one.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Some more annoyances I didn't put in the initial write up and will also edit to include them.

The auto stop switch is set by default to be on and no option to set it to off by default. It is a feature I don't use and always switch it to off when I start the truck. I get it's usefulness for city driving and being stuck in traffic but that is not my situation and putting the option in the cluster to change it's default setting would have been nice.

Next is how neutral works on the transmission, not so much why it does but the fact it is not flagged and made easier for the average user to know. Neutral does not stay in neutral when the engine cuts out and if you didn't know there is a temporary neutral mode that allows for the truck stay in neutral when the engine is off or cuts out you'd probably never use it. I would say most owners will at some point take their trucks to automatic car wash and if they don't know better shut off the engine when it is on the rail without knowing the truck will go back into park even if the shifter was set to neutral or even worse having the engine stall out while being washed. It should be better documented even have a sticker or something somewhere in cab.

The next is towing. If you ever needed to be towed and didn't read the manual first if the tow driver didn't know better they could potentially damage the AWD system and transmission if you didn't know that you shouldn't tow these trucks unless on a bed or if the with all 4 wheels on the ground. We are also back to temporary neutral issue to winch it onto the bed if you turn the key off with it in neutral and it goes automatically back into park.

Finally is the electric brake and the fact there is no non electric override. If you do need to tow it on all 4 wheels. You need to first engage the electric brake below the shift knob then use the manual override lever in the hidden under the storage area in front to shifter. If you have no power and no means to jump or can't jump the engine you are screwed if you aren't mechanically inclined. The only option left is to disconnect the shift linkage shift into neutral on the transmission itself. It could have been better thought out and more idiot proof than it is.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Speed kills(gas mileage). The difference in aerodynamic drag going from 70 to 80 is 30%. Now drag isn’t the sole determinator of mileage at highway speeds but it’s a significant one.
It does but it also comes down to how the power curve is designed for the truck. I get 30+ MPG highway even doing most 70+ MPH. Did it on the interstates over the holiday on a 13 hour drive to visit relatives which all had 65 or higher posted speed limits.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since my first Subaru in 1998, I learned that you never tow an AWD vehicle with wheels on the ground without reading the Owners Manual. Every one is a little unique in what and how you can tow it. One of the reasons I keep AAA Premier. Tow my vehicles on a flat bed, no charge up to 200 miles. Once had to tow my Volvo XC90 V8 Ocean Race Edition 350 miles. Man, was that thing a lemon. But I loved it!

Ford Maverick 5000+ miles, so how is it? 2.0 Maverick owners review IMG_20141031_183231

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since my first Subaru in 1998, I learned that you never tow an AWD vehicle with wheels on the ground without reading the Owners Manual. Every one is a little unique in what and how you can tow it. One of the reasons I keep AAA Premier. Tow my vehicles on a flat bed, no charge up to 200 miles. Once had to tow my Volvo XC90 V8 Ocean Race Edition 350 miles. Man, was that thing a lemon. But I loved it!
This is my first go round with AWD vehicles, my last truck which was my regular driver, I had for about 20 years was a traditional 4 wheel drive with automatic locking hubs and such. As far as the towing goes mine and everyone else's is covered by the Ford warranty right now and I also have tow service as part of my insurance with Geico. I don't know the terms of each but usually to the closest dealer for repair won't cost a dime.

Hotrodbob42

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford fusion hybrid
26.5mpg.

Best mpg would be around 65 mph I have a Ford fusion hybrid and at 65 it gets about 45 mpg but at 75 to 80 it drops to around 38

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 4K VB, 2022 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I received my Maverick back in November. The build was an XL model, 2.0l ecoboost engine, AWD and 4k tow package. Extras I've added so far are the Ford OEM weather mats for the front and back seats, a Truxedo Truxport soft Tonneau cover and lined the bed / tailgate with a 4 ft x 6 ft horse stall mat they sell at Tractor Supply.

5000+ miles in my personal observations so far.

Truck handles great, I live out in the sticks and have to drive roads that have hairpin turns up in the mountains and the AWD and traction control making handling much easier than driving these roads without in my other truck which is a 1991 Ford F150. To put things in perspective that F150 the bed is rated for 1000lbs while the Maverick is 1500lbs. I've also hauled over 1000 lbs of brick and mortar and concrete mix in the Maverick and it had no problem doing 60 and no sway on back end when accelerating on flat straight roads. Bed is well thought out and can fit all your standard housing building supplies like doors, windows, plywood and sheet rock in the bed with no issues as long as you keep the tailgate down.

edit I forgot to mention the headlights.
The led headlights are great especially on roads with no street lights. They work really well in heavy fog also, I can drive in thick as soup fog at night and have as good visibility as halogens with the high beam on in low beam with these headlights. The adaptive high beam is a nice feature also but can be annoying especially when things like the light reflecting of guard rails triggers them off when they should otherwise stay on.

From a work truck perspective it so far has punched well above it's weight class and with a trailer to overcome the shortcomings of having a smaller bed it in my opinion is a functional as any newer Ranger or F150 on the market right now.

From a non work truck perspective this not your daddy's Ford and is a utilitarian millennial mobile. You want creature comforts buy the higher trim levels, if you want a budget priced driver or small work truck the XL will fit the bill. Me personally I value utility over comfort and the truck delivers in that regard.

Gas mileage, what I've noticed is longer haul drives highway or mixed highway I average according to the cluster display about 31 - 32 MPG. Shorter hauls about 30 - 31 MPH. I use the normal drive mode since when using the eco mode I've noticed no appreciable gain in MPG. City so far I've averaged 28 - 29 MPG. Gas usage when I fill it fill I top off up to an extra gallon and have been consistently get 460 miles travelled before I refill, that is about when the low gas warning pops up. Other things is the MPG tends drop by about 1 MPG when I drive in cold weather 39F or lower and the MPG drops to 28 - 29 MPG when I have about 500lbs or more in the bed.

Annoyances, the gas cover, it pops open all the time when you slam the tailgate or jar the bed when loading materials. The reverse camera is built into the tailgate and points down when opened. That is when you need it the most with a loaded bed and tailgate down when backing up. The rear view mirror doesn't give full coverage of the back window. They couldn't have put a wider stock mirror in?

Edit Some more annoyances I didn't put in the initial write up.

The auto stop switch is set by default to be on and no option to set it to off by default. It is a feature I don't use and always switch it to off when I start the truck. I get it's usefulness for city driving and being stuck in traffic but that is not my situation and putting the option in the cluster to change it's default setting would have been nice.

Next is how neutral works on the transmission, not so much why it does but the fact it is not flagged and made easier for the average user to know. Neutral does not stay in neutral when the engine cuts out and if you didn't know there is a temporary neutral mode that allows for the truck stay in neutral when the engine is off or cuts out you'd probably never use it. I would say most owners will at some point take their trucks to automatic car wash and if they don't know better shut off the engine when it is on the rail without knowing the truck will go back into park even if the shifter was set to neutral or even worse having the engine stall out while being washed. It should be better documented even have a sticker or something somewhere in cab.

The next is towing. If you ever needed to be towed and didn't read the manual first if the tow driver didn't know better they could potentially damage the AWD system and transmission if you didn't know that you shouldn't tow these trucks unless on a bed or with all 4 wheels on the ground let alone how to manually put it into neutral to do so. We are also back to temporary neutral issue and not knowing it exists to winch it onto the bed if you turn the key off with it in neutral and it goes automatically back into park.

Finally is the electric brake and the fact there is no non electric override. If you do need to tow it on all 4 wheels. You need to first engage the electric brake below the shift knob then use the manual override lever in the hidden under the storage area in front to shifter. If you have no power and no means to jump or can't jump the engine you are screwed if you aren't mechanically inclined. The only option left is to disconnect the shift linkage shift into neutral on the transmission itself. It could have been better thought out and more idiot proof than it is.

Overall I am satisfied with the truck so far and would recommend it to others.
Great review. I'm considering printing this and putting in the manual:)

What are your driving tips for getting this type of mileage? I got 32 on the highway at 65-70 on a long trip. With mostly city driving I am getting just above 24. The latter has been in very cold weather if that matters. I have EB with 4K also. Very impressed with my highway mileage and not surprised at city. I have been driving with a very light foot.
Sponsored