First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Without going into the boohoo me details, I thought I bought a fx4 with 4k. How ever, I didn't! If I add the transmission cooler and trailer break can I tow over 2000lbs?
You would still be missing the gear ratio and suspension tuning. However, people have been modifying vehicles for years for towing, adding helper springs or air bags, coolers, etc. You could probably tow OK with yours with a couple of upgrades, but you will also run the risk of personal liability should you have and accident while towing and you are exceeding the vehicle's max tow rating.
Sponsored

Samus L. Jackson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I too thought it was kind of annoying you didn't get a discount for bundling Fx4 and 4k tow packages. I ordered with just the 4K. Don't know if I'll even tow, but I'd like to have the option. Plus the transmission cooler and upgraded radiator sound like a good idea to me.

I know the Maverick isn't a true off roader, and I won't pretend that it is, and that's not why I ordered one in the first place. I was fine skipping the Fx4 package, but I know it's a popular choice. The wheels look pretty cool, but I also quite like the look of the XLT wheels.

Both packages seem like a good deal, but eh, I didn't want to spend money on both.

Not sure if it will matter anyway, if I don't get confirmation of going into production soon, I may have to jump ship!

Fisheyelid

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got the 4k to tow a trailer / small boat. I got the FX4 for the tow hooks (aesthetics), wheels (aesthetics), and instrument cluster upgrade (aesthetics). If I could only pick one, I think the 4k is more important (function > aesthetics).

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
TFL did a segment on how capable the AWD 4K equipped Mav is. It was more intense than I will ever go off road so for me the 4K tow package seems like the better trade off versus the FX4 option.

I mean come on just look at this pic. How man of us will really do this much off roading? And if you do the AWD 4K tow package will handle it no problem. To me the FX4 is more of an appearance package. Sure it comes with some functional stuff but nothing a 4K can't handle.

Ford Maverick 4K Tow & FX4 duplicate equipment? Untitled

bak106

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT fx4
You would still be missing the gear ratio and suspension tuning. However, people have been modifying vehicles for years for towing, adding helper springs or air bags, coolers, etc. You could probably tow OK with yours with a couple of upgrades, but you will also run the risk of personal liability should you have and accident while towing and you are exceeding the vehicle's max tow rating.
So the gear ratio, I have tow mode. Already have the bugger fan and radiator. What you're saying though is that it's still different?

Sponsored

IslaDelDan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 & 2019 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can't recall RPM at 70 or even 80. FX4 and 4K seemed like a good bargain - my boat is over 3K and even though it is not towed much, I have the capacity when I need it.
And...the truck is quick! It is a really nice set-up and if ordered again I'd do it just like the original order.

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So the gear ratio, I have tow mode. Already have the bugger fan and radiator. What you're saying though is that it's still different?
Yes, lower rear gear ratio, transmission cooler, and rear suspension tuning. FX4 has monotube shocks for off road performance. Not sure if this would affect towing that much since you can combine packages. You also get the 7 pin trailer connector and integrated brake controller.
Sponsored